Marbles Kids Museum

ncwebguy

The N&O has an article about combining the two "museums" though with playspace, I use the term loosely.

N&O story

Exploris doesn't feel "interactive" enough and Playspace is more play-oriented than educational.

Playspace feels kinda out of place in Glenwood south, and is hidden behind Vin and Stool Pigeons, but it does use parking when other places do not, though the same can be said for an Exploris location.

Playspace used to be where Cherry design and the plumbing place is now, so they're no stranger to moving.

I think it would also be good to have Playspace near actual green space (Moore Square) so kids can play outside as well. This would be a better fit than the library that was proposed about a year or so ago for Exploris. But will mom and dad want their little ones seeing homeless people? Who knows. Cream and Bean opened up west on Hargett from Exploris, but only lasted a year, if that.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The times I've been to Exploris, I've been disappointed. Hopefully, a bigger mission will help

yeah, seems like they've struggled along for its legs. I think the Playspace merger sounds like a good idea; different age groups, but similar interactive mission. As long as it keep bringing people downtown, I'm for it.

I would really like to see this merger. Even with all the negative pub regarding Exploris (boring, too much tax $$$, etc.) I would hate to see the place go under - it needs a shot of vitality and playspace could bring this if brought under the same roof. I was in Indianapolis not too long ago and their Childrens Museum was awsome - almost a combo of Exploris, the Natural Science Museum, and play-space. It was packed with people - which I've heard is rare for Exploris.

exploris is awesome!

I'm glad there are people like you! Otherwise, it will fail because people like me will not go.

I always compare Exploris to Boston Children's Museum. In Boston, for $9 ($7/kid), they have 19 exhibits. Its been years since I've been there, so maybe this is inaccurate, but the exhibits were fun. Now, its also been 2 years since I was at Exploris. For ($8/adult, $5.50/kid) you get 6 exhibits. I don't expect a museum in Raleigh to be equal to one in Boston. I do expect it to be fun and engaging for children. I hope things have changed, but from those who've gone there, I have a hard time getting a favorable review.

I think a lot of people get the wrong idea of what Exploris is supposed to be-a global experience museum. I do agree that they should get more traveling exhibits such as the China Experience etc. (which was awesome). I don't think they should dumb it down to a video game /everything needs to be touched experience.

I don't expect a museum in Raleigh to be equal to one in Boston. I do expect it to be fun and engaging for children. I

why is that? in my opinion raleigh has just as good museums as boston does, have you ever been to the museum of natural science? or the north carolina museum of art?

why is that? in my opinion raleigh has just as good museums as boston does, have you ever been to the museum of natural science? or the north carolina museum of art?

NCMOA is Excellent. NS Museum is Very Good. I would hope that NC could put together something that any other state could do. The fact is, this area is struggling with growth and doesn't have many extra funds for important projects like top quality museums. You can look no further in the than the NCMOA's effort to build the Rodin wing.

Hopefully, the Exploris folks revert it to a childrens museum, travel to top notch museums around the country to get new ideas, and work with city/state/corporations to get it up to par. (I was under the impression the original mission for this was a childrens museum. I guess it is now a 'global experience' museum. If I'm wrong, same suggestions would apply)

From day one, Exploris has been a "global experience" museum -- which makes it unique, but also makes it hard to compare it to something else, since that "something else" doesn't exist. It has been considered a "children's museum" since part of its mission is to "start early" in getting the next generation to think globally. It has some "interactive" pieces, further lending the "children's" label, but they're not well maintained. The steep admission price vs. what you get also keeps its halls empty. I like the ecological stuff, like recycling rain water, but it has not aged well either.

Via RTP and the universities, the Triangle has people from all over the globe living here, but Exploris does *nothing* to celebrate this international heritage. At a public input meeting, I recommended that they offer space for events like Chinese New Year, St. Patrick's day, Octoberfest, etc. The latter two have had events right across the street in Moore Square, but the "global experience museum" did nothing. They could also position themselves as a place to discuss what is going on in Israel and the Muslim world vs. the Danish (country, not pastry) cartoons but have no vision.

Hiding the IMAX theater hasn't helped either. They even have a cafe back there, but you wouldn't know it looking in from Hargett Street. I recommended a marquee that showed the movies playing there vs. those puny posters in the window, but they have stuck to the same old same old.

Also, Playspace is cramped where they are now, and don't have room to expand. Exploris could offer this space and offer a chance to learn as well as play.

• 1 year later...

The new kids museum Marbles is great. The grand opening today was packed! It's in the old Exploris space, and it's going to be wonderful for downtown (for the entire city, really). It's going to bring a lot of people downtown--folks who aren't coming for the bars and nice restaurants. I thought it was going to just be the stuff from Playspace thrown into the Exploris space, but it's so much better than I expected. If you have or know some kids, check it out!

Thanks for the ad hominem.

Actually, I am a parent.

Exploris was a total bore and burned through tens of millions of dollars. The county still gives $1M a year to the project. It is STILL millions of dollars in debt.

To put the magnitude of waste in perspective, the Wake County Park System's operating budget for 2007 is about $2.4M.

My guess is that museum exhibits are one of the most challenging to design because of the huge range of visitors they get: old/young, rich/poor, educated/uneducated, local/foreign. Then there's the whole puzzle of keeping it fresh to maintain steady visitorship.

I think museums are ripe for figuring out how to embrace technology, interaction, and the traditional museum experience. Seems like they've been struggling with that for awhile, not just here but everywhere.

It looks like they are stretching to find new things, which is good. Like the sleepover in the museum is a cool idea. I'm not a parent, but my inner kid thinks that's a great idea - I'd tell my friends about it.

How can you say that attempting to fund a children's museum is a waste? I'm sure kids enjoy it. This isn't Exploris we're talking about anymore and what your perspective on a museum should be for your entertainment does not matter here, you're an adult, this is a childrens musuem. If kids are happy and they learn something from going there, I'm all for it. There's too many kids running around getting into trouble as it is.

Exhibits cost a lot of money for upkeep and development, that's why they get that chunk of money.

Archived