Top Ten Restaurant List

Sailor

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some things you all should know. The Select Bank Building, Michigan National Bank Building where the louis benton steak house is at and any other buildings on the monroe center area have bomb shelters that go deep down like 2 floors. Those buildings were built during the time of WWII. What you may not realize is that these buildings have a lot of roaches living in them. And to me, I don't think it's a good idea to put any restaurants in those buildings. If the Louis Benton steak house were in a different area, I would maybe eat at it, but won't eat there because of the roaches at this time. Veloise, are you talking about the Oriental Forest chinese buffet? I've been told that they don't clean that well.

I'm going to run down my list of restaraunts based on value, atmosphere, and taste. You will not find any $40 pasta dishes in this list!

10. Rose's on the Lake, EGR - summers on the lake deck, winters in by the fireplace...mmmm

9. The Pita House, Eastown - haveo nly 15 minutes and a big appetite? Gyros to ide for.

8. The Brandywine, Eastown especially but also Beltline/4 mile - ET location true legend - breakfast!!

7. (tie) Cherry Street Deli (East Hills) and The Schnitz Deli (Ada) - Having lived on the East Coast for a few years, I know now what a true deli should smell, fell and taste like... these two are the real deal

6. Arnie's - various locations - How could I not have Arnies on this list? All the hangover-cure breakfasts, all the GIANT portions of comfort foods make me miss my grandma!! A GR staple- value!

5. The Bull'sHead Tavern, Monroe across from Grand Hotel - must try the seared tuna or pork tnderloin, atmosphere is fantastic, esp. on Fri/Sat. nights -live music, too.

4. Marie Catribe's, Eastown area - intelligently designed use of space makes for enlightened dining experience, great middle eastern inspired dishes.

3. One Trick Pony, Fulton east of DT - my first date with my wife here didn't disappoint

2. San Chez / Mezze Cafe - I know, EVERYBODY knows about andraves of San Cehz, but whenever I take clients/visitors here, all agree it one of the finest experiences they've had. One of the priciest of my list, though.

Drumroll, please....

1. Leo's - Wow. What can be said of this place? Atmosphere/ambiance? Check. Service? Check. Great food? Double Check. Probably the area's finest seafood (sorry Charlie) at a reasonable price, this is the place that really does it for me, where I can find the steamed mussles I crave or get really fresh red snapper. Not a cheap place, but Leo's makes sure you walk out stuffed despite your generous payment. My favorite GR restaraunt, four times a year.

Some things you all should know. The Select Bank Building, Michigan National Bank Building where the louis benton steak house is at and any other buildings on the monroe center area have bomb shelters that go deep down like 2 floors. Those buildings were built during the time of WWII. What you may not realize is that these buildings have a lot of roaches living in them. And to me, I don't think it's a good idea to put any restaurants in those buildings. If the Louis Benton steak house were in a different area, I would maybe eat at it, but won't eat there because of the roaches at this time.

My top 10 is based on 'places to impress out-of-town guests'

10) Yesterdog (obviously this had to make the list somewhere)

9) Cygnus 27 - Great views, great atmosphere

8) Tre Cugini - best Italian in GR

7) The BOB - Choices, choices

6) Bloom - I've written about this before. Just take my word for it.

5) The Green Well - We went there this weekend. Fun, yummy, with great beer list (the only place in town to get Saison Dupont, that's for sure)

4) Roses in EGR - Lakefront dining, outside on a patio with great crab-cake sandwiches.

3) The Chop House - Top-notch steaks in a modern atmosphere

2) 1913 Room - C'mon, it's the only 5-diamond restaurant in Michigan. Every time I tell my Detroit relatives this, they're a little ornery about it. "How can that be?" or "Maybe ______ just didn't want to participate." Whatever the reason, 1913 Room still rules the roost.

1) San Chez - Unique in every way. Yeah, our steak-houses are great but every town has steak-houses. The food is incredible. The prices are fair.

Some things you all should know. The Select Bank Building, Michigan National Bank Building where the louis benton steak house is at and any other buildings on the monroe center area have bomb shelters that go deep down like 2 floors. Those buildings were built during the time of WWII. What you may not realize is that these buildings have a lot of roaches living in them. And to me, I don't think it's a good idea to put any restaurants in those buildings. If the Louis Benton steak house were in a different area, I would maybe eat at it, but won't eat there because of the roaches at this time. Veloise, are you talking about the Oriental Forest chinese buffet? I've been told that they don't clean that well.

My list isn't quite 10 and aside from Marie's being #1, they're in no particular order...I'm hungry now!

1. Marie Catrib's. The food and amazing people makes it feel like home. Best soups anywhere.

Maggie's Kitchen. Great for a quick and local burrito fix.

San Chez. It's been a while since I've been, but always a winner.

Big Bob's. I dig making my own pizza, but when I'm not making pizza, they are.

Gaia. Yeah, granola crunchy, but it's down-right tasty. Great for weekend brunch.

Grand Coney. Can't deal with the smoke, but do take out - greek salad and pancakes!

Bar Divani. Molton Chocolate Cake and really nice staff.

Little Africa. Heart and soul working overtime in every bite.

Bistro Bella Vita. Back on the list after my near-religious experience last week wtih the butternut squash agnolotti.

*fish

If in Ada and love Turkish fare like I do, Zeytin is an excellent choice. Not much on ambiance, but they do serve Delirium Tremens on tap!!!! They have a $20 two person sampler platter that not even Rush Limbaugh and Al Sharpton could finish.

Thanks for mentioning Blue Water Grille, too. Love that place!

Bulls Head

Charley's Crab

Big Bobs

Tre Cugini

Judson's

Leo's

Voila in EGR has good breakfast

Stockbridge Pub has great bar food

If I could go anywhere on that list on someone else's dime it'd be Judson's or Tre Cugini. Big Bob's is still my favorite pizza (though Jet's is pretty sweet too).

Again, no order other than how they pop to mind!

-Judsons in the BOB

-Marco's Bistro in Forest Hills

-Beltline Bar

-Honey Creek Inn

-Pal's Diner in Cascade (my kids love it!)

-Enjoy having lunch at the Meijer Garden Cafe

-Take-out sandwiches at O'Brien's Market in Ada

-Sundance for breakfast

In no particular order:

Bar Divoni - Great relaxing atmosphere, Miscato d' Asti wine...mmmmmm yum.

La Dolce Vita

Arby's - Sorry....I LOVE Arby's even though I'll have my account removed for even mentioning it. ;)

The Black Rose

Bombay Cuisine

Brandywine Restaurant

The Melting Pot

Yesterdog

XO

Russ' - Sorry again, but I'll always love them for their broccoli cheese soup, and for being Dutch. :D

Let me add to mine.

Criteria: prefer locally owned, followed by robustness of Wi-fi service. (I don't drink, don't have out-of-towners to impress, couldn't give a rip about white napkin service)

Olive Express (using FF's wi-fi)

Four Friends

Something Garden cheap Chinese buffet on Leonard (ate there last night, saw no bugs)

Bobby J's

BOB (weeknights during Tour de France month)

Panera (any location, esp at closing when they seek a willing acceptor of the baked goods)

Adobe (any)

Urban Mill DT next to Kinko's

DW Fresh Market's cafe (buy anything in the store, eat in the cafeteria just like Fred except there's Wi-fi)

ETA: Speaking of Fred...grazing the samples at the new M@C.

I hope to add Schuler's on the Bank to this very soon.

Bulls Head

Charley's Crab

Big Bobs

Tre Cugini

Judson's

Leo's

Voila in EGR has good breakfast

Stockbridge Pub has great bar food

If I could go anywhere on that list on someone else's dime it'd be Judson's or Tre Cugini. Big Bob's is still my favorite pizza (though Jet's is pretty sweet too).

Let me add to mine.

Criteria: prefer locally owned, followed by robustness of Wi-fi service. (I don't drink, sdon't have out-of-towners to impress, couldn't give a rip about white napkin service)

Olive Express (using FF's wi-fi)

Four Friends

Something Garden cheap Chinese buffet on Leonard (ate there last night, saw no bugs)

Bobby J's

BOB (weeknights during Tour de France month)

Panera (any location, esp at closing when they seek a willing acceptor of the baked goods)

Adobe (any)

Urban Mill DT next to Kinko's

DW Fresh Market's cafe (buy anything in the store, eat in the cafeteria just like Fred except there's Wi-fi)

I hope to add Schuler's on the Bank to this very soon.

Wow. On page 2 of this thread already and nobody has mentioned Bombay Cafe on Lake Drive? I know some folks are fans of Zeytin in Ada, but we've always had a spectacular experience at Bombay. As good as Indian gets in these parts... (going there this Friday in fact).

This list would be a lot different if I were twenty years younger and could still eat or drink anything I wanted. This isn't necessarily the best ten restaurants in town but they are the ten I've actually frequestly ate in the last month or so. I've got to watch what I eat, particularly carbs and portion size, so there are no big meal restaurants on this list. As much as I hate to admit to eating at fast food chains, I most frequently eat at Mr. Burger, Subway, and Arby's because they are fast and convenient to me and have good nutrition (if you are careful.)

In alphabetical order:

Arby

Wow. On page 2 of this thread already and nobody has mentioned Bombay Cafe on Lake Drive? I know some folks are fans of Zeytin in Ada, but we've always had a spectacular experience at Bombay. As good as Indian gets in these parts... (going there this Friday in fact).

Archived