Top Ten Restaurant List

Sailor

Lemme see...carry the two...

OK, unofficial totals...

10 votes.

San Chez (The unofficial undisputed champion)

6 votes.

The B.O.B. (Including votes for Judson's)

Rose's

5 votes.

Bloom

Marie Catrib's

Tre Cugini

Yesterdog (The under $5 winner)

4 votes.

Big Bob's (Pizza prize)

Black Rose

Cottage Bar

Leo's

One Trick Pony

Pita House

3 votes.

Arby's

Arnie's

Bar Divani

Bistro Bella Vita

Blue Water Grill

Bombay Cuisine

Brandywine

Bull's Head

Cherry Deli

Green Well

Little Africa

Louis Benton

Marado Sushi

Ottawa Tavern

2 votes.

1913 Room, Bella Mia, Beltline Bar, Big O's, Bobby J's, Charley's Crab, Choo Choo Grill, El Burrito (Loco?), Gaia Cafe, El Ganadero, The Grand Coney, Honey Creek Inn, Jet's Pizza, Osta's, Russ', Schnitz Deli, Schuler's, Six.One.Six., Sundance Grill, Two Choppers (Winner of the closed for business division), Wing Heaven, Wolfgang's, & XO

The Somebody Loves Me Division.

Adobe, Andrea's Pizza, Bennigan's, Big Boy, Boar's Head, The Boston House, The Brownstone, Chop House, The Corner Bar, Cygnus, Denny's, Don Rafav's, D&W Cafe, The Elbow Room, First Wok, Flanagan's, Food Smith, Four Friends, Gardella's, Grand Central Market, Graydon's Crossing, Great Lakes Shipping Co., Jamaican Dave's, JB's Pizza, Kopper Top, Maggie's Kitchen, Mangiamo, Marco's Bistro, Marge's Donut Den, Meijer Cafe (Standale), Meijer Garden Cafe, The Melting Pot, Mezze, Mr. Burger, O'Brien's Market, Olga's, Olive Express, Pal's Diner, Panera, Perkin's, Pietro's Back Door, Real Food Cafe, Red Ball Jet Cafe, Ruby Tuesday's, Sam's Oasis, Sandman's BBQ, Sazerac Lounge, Stockbridge Pub, Subway, Taco Bell, Taco Boy, Uno Pizaria, Urban Mill, Vitale's, Voila, Wealthy Street Bakery, Wei Wei, & Zeytin

I'm sure I missed a few votes along the way, but it's a start. Some of those single vote-getters are pretty surprising, especially Mangiamo, Wealthy Street Bakery, and Sandman's. What's the best restaurant without a vote yet?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. Apparently few folks have eaten in the restaurant side of Noto's - let alone the incredible private dining rooms in their basement. Chef and restaurant awards over the past several years (as well as a broad consensus of local restaurant owners) clearly identify Notos as a major reference point in fine dining in this area.

And also - how can it be that nobody has yet mentioned Reds on the River in Rockford? While not our absolute favorite, it certainly merits a spot on the list.

Wow. Apparently few folks have eaten in the restaurant side of Noto's - let alone the incredible private dining rooms in their basement. Chef and restaurant awards over the past several years (as well as a broad consensus of local restaurant owners) clearly identify Notos as a major reference point in fine dining in this area.

And also - how can it be that nobody has yet mentioned Reds on the River in Rockford? While not our absolute favorite, it certainly merits a spot on the list.

Noto's = Too far of a drive, and then down my most unfavorite street, 28th

Reds = Too far of a drive just to go out to eat when there are plenty of alternatives closer

Sorry filmmaker. ^_^

Please don't tell me that you're unwilling to venture much beyond Knapps Corner in search of decent dining (wink). Rockford and Cascade are really no more distant than downtown for you - and both can be reached without venturing into the dregs of 28th st. Besides, I thought this list was about great places to eat - not whether they were convenientLy located. Truth is that in almost all cities the best places to eat are often a little off the well beaten path past all the predictably mediocre chain joints. Come on man - be a little brave and live a little! Just think of all the memories you'll have of the "big adventurous" night you drove all the way to Rockford for a very nice dinner experience.

Chipotle Mexican Grill is coming in 2008. You heard it here first. ;)

I haven't added my top 10 yet, so here it is:

1. San Chez (should pretty much be top of anyone's list)

2. The Green Well (been here twice already)

3. Big O' Cafe

4. The Black Rose

5. Yesterdog

6. Wealthy Street Station (get the station burger, just hope you don't have a heart attack)

7. Schnitz Deli

8. The Pita House

9. Uno Chicago Grill (not quite as good as the original Pizzeria Uno in Chicago, and getting anything other than pizza is for suckers, but at least I can get decent Chicago-style pizza in this town now)

10. Grand Central Market (for sammiches)

Worst:

1. TGI Fridays

2. Vito's Pizza (which just happens to be the only place open really late)

3. Little Caesar's Pizza

3. Big O' Cafe

4. The Black Rose

5. Yesterdog

6. Wealthy Street Station (get the station burger, just hope you don't have a heart attack)

7. Schnitz Deli

8. The Pita House

9. Uno Chicago Grill (not quite as good as the original Pizzeria Uno in Chicago, and getting anything other than pizza is for suckers, but at least I can get decent Chicago-style pizza in this town now)

Worst:

1. TGI Fridays

3. Little Caesar's Pizza

Yay! Another vote for Big O'. Growing up, Big Bob's on Hall had my unwavering allegiance. Bob still makes a quality pie, but O' won me over with their crusts.

Vito's! That stuff is horrid, Spaghettio's sauce and government cheese. The only way they survive is being the only place you can get a pizza at three in the morning. Pizza so bad, even potheads won't eat it!

Here's my top ten list:

In no particular order:

1. Bistro Bella Vita

2. The Black Rose - love the stew

3. San Chez

4. JB's Pizza

5. Cherry Deli

6. Bite/Ottawa Tavern - great place for lunch

7. Honey Creek Inn - if you haven't tried this place yet, it's worth the drive.

8. Don Pablos - I know, it's a chain, but it's so good!

9. Tuscan Express

10. Rose's

3. Big O' Cafe

4. The Black Rose

5. Yesterdog

7. Schnitz Deli

8. The Pita House

Worst:

1. TGI Fridays

3. Little Caesar's Pizza

I rated The Green Well highly because the food is good and the prices are pretty reasonable. The food isn't spectacular, it's just really good. It's certainly a couple notches above chain restaurants and a couple notches below San Chez. But, for the price, sure, I'll put it in my top 10.

For Mexican check out Maggie's Kitchen or El Burrito Loco.

I rated The Green Well highly because the food is good and the prices are pretty reasonable. The food isn't spectacular, it's just really good. It's certainly a couple notches above chain restaurants and a couple notches below San Chez. But, for the price, sure, I'll put it in my top 10.

For Mexican check out Maggie's Kitchen or El Burrito Loco.

I haven't been satisfied by any local mexican restarants since the Texas Cafe moved from Fulton (where Little Africa is now). Maggie's is good, not great. All the others I've tried leave a good deal to be desired. None of them seem to use very high quality ingredients.

Archived