Top Ten Restaurant List

Sailor

Thanks! We may not match the demographics of a lot of people here, but with kids, the chances to go out on a "date night" do not come around very often, so we like to make it a complete evening. You can't do that anywhere other than downtown. You can eat, walk around downtown, take in a show, take in the new GRAM, take in the sights, people watch, etc.. If we were to go out to eat on 28th Street or on the East Beltline, afterward we'd say "Now what?".

But anyway, back to top 10 restaurants. :)

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I haven't been satisfied by any local mexican restarants since the Texas Cafe moved from Fulton (where Little Africa is now). Maggie's is good, not great. All the others I've tried leave a good deal to be desired. None of them seem to use very high quality ingredients.

I rated The Green Well highly because the food is good and the prices are pretty reasonable. The food isn't spectacular, it's just really good. It's certainly a couple notches above chain restaurants and a couple notches below San Chez. But, for the price, sure, I'll put it in my top 10.

For Mexican check out Maggie's Kitchen or El Burrito Loco.

So to those who love Maggie's Kitchen, can someone please clarify what hours they're open? I don't know. I just know I drove by one day and they looked open. Also, do they do take out?

I am definitely going to have to give The Green Well another try and Bloom, any suggestions as to what to get at Bloom? And what should I get at the Green Well since nothing I've had so far is spectacular? I live really close to East Hills and I know the shop owners around there; it's such a great neighborhood.

I have lived in 5 different cities in 25 (okay 26) years and I have to say I like seeing the variety of restaurants and styles. Despite all cities having a wide spread of food available, each city has its own "theme." This is the quickest I've been introduced to a lot of the local restaurants in the city but I have to say one thing about chains--this city has plenty of them and yet some of them are sadly enough, leaving us.

I love my Ponderosa, Steak 'n Shake, and Old Country Buffet. (If I weren't violating the chain restaurant rule I give myself, I would put them on my top 10 list, seriously.)

Question: What happened to Schlotzsky's? I know there were a few in town and there is one in Battle Creek at least. I was surprised to see Schlotzsky's this far north since it is headquartered in Austin but knowing they were once here and then left makes me wonder, why and how long ago?

Question: What happened to Schlotzsky's? I know there were a few in town and there is one in Battle Creek at least. I was surprised to see Schlotzsky's this far north since it is headquartered in Austin but knowing they were once here and then left makes me wonder, why and how long ago?

My employer had major road reconstruction projects in front of a couple of their locations here in GR. According to them, we are the reason they went outin the same block survived the construction. (The McD's offered 5 hamburgers for $1.00 a couple nights during the week during the ocnstruction :P ). In my opinion, they were over priced for what you got in this "Dutch" community.

Some things you all should know. The Select Bank Building, Michigan National Bank Building where the louis benton steak house is at and any other buildings on the monroe center area have bomb shelters that go deep down like 2 floors. Those buildings were built during the time of WWII. What you may not realize is that these buildings have a lot of roaches living in them. And to me, I don't think it's a good idea to put any restaurants in those buildings. If the Louis Benton steak house were in a different area, I would maybe eat at it, but won't eat there because of the roaches at this time. Veloise, are you talking about the Oriental Forest chinese buffet? I've been told that they don't clean that well.

• 3 months later...

Ok, I need some help. I'm looking for a place to eat for my birthday, and my whole family is coming up.

1. My parents like really rally kinda high end places, I'm originally from chicago and they like Ruth Chris's and The Chicago Chop House the best, so a place of that caliber would be kind of key.

2. My Birthday is on Sunday, which could be a problem. I could move everything to saturday but thats rough...

PLEASE HELP!

:)

Ok, I need some help. I'm looking for a place to eat for my birthday, and my whole family is coming up.

1. My parents like really rally kinda high end places, I'm originally from chicago and they like Ruth Chris's and The Chicago Chop House the best, so a place of that caliber would be kind of key.

2. My Birthday is on Sunday, which could be a problem. I could move everything to saturday but thats rough...

PLEASE HELP!

PLEASE HELP!

PLEASE HELP!

Definitely go to Chop House if you can move the dinner to Saturday. I ate there a few weeks ago, and IMO, the meal was better than the ones I've had at Chicago Chop House, Morton's, or Ruth's Chris - and that's saying a lot because all three of those restaurants are usually excellent.

Louis Benton is so-so. I've had some decent meals there but other times it's been only average. Chop House is a definite notch above LB.

PLEASE HELP!

Top 10 in no particular order:

1. San Chez

2. Bobarino's

3. Bombay (For ?Lababdar?)

4. Beltline Bar (For burritos)

5. Yesterdog

6. Cottage Bar

7. Kopper Top (Great sandwitches)

8. Graydon's Crossing (Awesome onion rings)

9. New Beginings (I just love their American fries)

10. Sandmann's, my new favorite BBQ place. Although, if you live in the Wyoming area there is a place on Byron Center Rd. at 36th Street that I hear has pretty good BBQ as well. Geez, I'm glad I'm leaving work.

If you go on Saturday, I'd definitely recommend checking out Chop House. They are closed Saturdays. The dining room is smaller and more intimate than what you'll find at Louis Benton, which I feel creates an overall nicer dining experience. It also just won Grand Rapids Magazine's Best Steakhouse award.

Top 10+ Places Visited Since Moving Back (in no order):

1. Cottage Bar

2. Cygnus

3. Green Well

4. Great Lakes Shipping Co.

5. Hopcat (crack fries count as food)

6. Reds On the River (Rockford)

7. Bar Divani

8. Bistro Bella Vita

9. Shanghai Ichiban

10a. Graydon's Crossing

10b. The Kopper Top (lest you think I never get to the west side :thumbsup: )

Up until now I would have agreed with all the lists I see, but the Westside Cafe that recently opened on Walker across from the Walker Street Pharmacy is THE best cafe in town by far. Guaranteed, hands down, absolutely, postively. The two chefs , yes chefs, are formerly of Cygnus and the 1913 Room, and the food reflects it . The specials are gourmet most of the time. It is the only place FINALLY that has Polish food on the menu. The chef's mother's recipe. For real. And it is $20 for two place.

Archived