Top Ten Restaurant List

Sailor

Up until now I would have agreed with all the lists I see, but the Westside Cafe that recently opened on Walker across from the Walker Street Pharmacy is THE best cafe in town by far. Guaranteed, hands down, absolutely, postively. The two chefs , yes chefs, are formerly of Cygnus and the 1913 Room, and the food reflects it . The specials are gourmet most of the time. It is the only place FINALLY that has Polish food on the menu. The chef's mother's recipe. For real. And it is $20 for two place.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In no particular order:

Bloom

Cheri Inn

Westside Bar (for burgers)

Yesterdog

Kopper Top

1913 Room

Fricano's (for pizza)

Sundance Grill

Bar Divani

Westsider Cafe

For BEST steaks ever - Friday and Saturday nights Countryside Inn - North Dorr

Wilson going south out of Byron Center right before you get to 108th Street - trust me, it's worth the drive

Up until now I would have agreed with all the lists I see, but the Westside Cafe that recently opened on Walker across from the Walker Street Pharmacy is THE best cafe in town by far. Guaranteed, hands down, absolutely, postively. The two chefs , yes chefs, are formerly of Cygnus and the 1913 Room, and the food reflects it . The specials are gourmet most of the time. It is the only place FINALLY that has Polish food on the menu. The chef's mother's recipe. For real. And it is $20 for two place.

A few weeks back I had an amazing special there at the Westside Cafe. It was a polish lasagne that had the best sauce, polish sausage, cheese, and potatoes. It sounds so strange but it was soooooo good.

For all you out there, help support a local non-chain and visit the Westside Cafe...you will not be disappointed!

• 5 months later...

10. Tacos El Caporal - 28th & Burlingame

9. Big Bob's - Pizza in Gaslight (the Briazza is amazing)

8. JB's - Alger & Eastern (try the subs, skip the Pizza)

7. Yesterdog

6. Schnitz - Fulton

5. Hopcat - Ionia (lots of Beer, and amazing food)

4. San Chez

3. Founder's (yeah, their beer is amazing, but have you tried the sandwiches?!?)

2. Marie Catrib's - East Hills

1. The Green Well - East Hills

My family just returned from a visit to GR. We have raves about the food. First, San Chez was incredible. One of the best meals that we have ever eaten, anywhere (and that includes restaurants in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago and New York). The Sundowner Margaritas were amazing, as was the chicken paella. Also, filter-press coffee for dessert -- incredible.

Green Well was very good, though my wife was disappointed in the pork barbecue on polenta. Too greasy. She, however, made up for it by eating half of my excellent Cuban sandwich. Lunch at the Blue Water Grill was as usual good, but we had eaten there before.

Folks, you have no idea how far restaurants have come in the River City. A restaurant of the quality of San Chez was unimaginable when I lived there.

I am eager to try the restaurants listed by others, including the new Polish place on the West Side. In the late 70s, there was a small Polish restaurant on, I think, Straight, that served good kielbasa and kapusta, among other delicacies. Very fine, but I don't recall its name or whether it still survives. (The Kopper Top was one of my favorite taverns -- great to see it is still going strong.)

10. Tacos El Caporal - 28th & Burlingame

9. Big Bob's - Pizza in Gaslight (the Briazza is amazing)

8. JB's - Alger & Eastern (try the subs, skip the Pizza)

7. Yesterdog

6. Schnitz - Fulton

5. Hopcat - Ionia (lots of Beer, and amazing food)

4. San Chez

3. Founder's (yeah, their beer is amazing, but have you tried the sandwiches?!?)

2. Marie Catrib's - East Hills

1. The Green Well - East Hills

Have to throw the Choo Choo Grill back onto the top of the list for best burgers in town. Enjoyed a fabulous 1/2 pound deluxe cheeseburger. (The Coachman I think?) Fries and a Diet Coke. You can't beat that for lunch in the greater GR area. I love the atmosphere there, along with the fantastically cordial folks running the counter. I couldn't recommend a better place for lunch. (Breakfast is great, too --- 7AM open!)

Archived