Park Avenue

skirby

Item 11 on the Planning Commission’s September 23rd agenda is “Park Avenue Revised Long-form PCD.” As I have mentioned before, a gentleman who works for the same company I do is a member of the Midtown Redevelopment Committee, and he told me several months ago that he believed Strode Properties would be submitting a new site plan for the property. It appears we’ll have our first look in September. A big concern is how the economic outlook has impacted the plan. Hopefully, we won’t see a “stripped down” version of the original.

Changes submitted at this point can't be good (with respect to reinforcing the original higher-density, mixed-use concept). I hope I'm wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An article in yesterday’s Arkansas Democrat-Gazette provides a few more details about the new Park Avenue site plan. Strode has scaled back its plans for residential space and changed the footprints of several of the retail spaces. The “Town Center” concept remains at the core of the development, and some of that space could potentially become residential space. Gone are the plans for a movie theater, multi-family housing, and a second parking deck to support that housing and nearby retail. The theater idea was actually eliminated soon after the initial approval. The original University Mall parking deck remains. Overall, the development is being whittled from its original 753,400 square feet to 579,650 square feet. There was no mention of the office tower that was in the original plan.

It will be interesting to view the plan and read the proposal in a week or so.

An article in yesterday’s Arkansas Democrat-Gazette provides a few more details about the new Park Avenue site plan. Strode has scaled back its plans for residential space and changed the footprints of several of the retail spaces. The “Town Center” concept remains at the core of the development, and some of that space could potentially become residential space. Gone are the plans for a movie theater, multi-family housing, and a second parking deck to support that housing and nearby retail. The theater idea was actually eliminated soon after the initial approval. The original University Mall parking deck remains. Overall, the development is being whittled from its original 753,400 square feet to 579,650 square feet. There was no mention of the office tower that was in the original plan.

It will be interesting to view the plan and read the proposal in a week or so.

That's too bad (didn't see that in yesterdays paper though). I hate that they've abandoned the idea of a movie theater. I never understood why Park Plaza closed theirs...we used to go all the time and it was always busy!

• 2 weeks later...

The planning commission agenda has been posted, complete with the new site plan for Park Avenue – which has now been changed to item 4.

http://www.littlerock.org/CityDepartments/PlanningAndDevelopment/subsection.aspx?PageID=99

The most noticeable change is that the multi-family complex on the SE corner of the project is gone. In its place are spaces for restaurants or retail – one pad fronting University and the others behind it, toward Target. Including the one just mentioned, there will be three commercial pads along University. They seem destined for restaurant development.

The Town Center portion of the complex is divided into four sections and seems a bit awkward/unbalanced. The NW, NE, and SW quadrants are multi-story, while the SE quadrant is single story (slated for one retailer/restaurant) and surface parking (with the potential to become an extension of the commercial space). The NW and NE quadrants are five stories, while the SW quadrant is only four. Gone is the office tower. Only the NE quadrant is completely commercial on the ground floor, while the NW quadrant’s ground floor is mixed commercial/residential, and the SW’s is totally residential. All upper floors are residential. I suppose Strode Development knows what it’s doing, but I would never want to live on the ground floor of this place – as shoppers and cars go by constantly. The fact that they sacrifice ground floor retail space for residential is disappointing and hints that the company is having difficulty finding retail tenants to fill the Town Center.

Phase II along McKinley is still in tact with the potential of a building as tall as seven stories. This space could be hotel, retail, residential, or office.

All in all, not much of a WOW factor with this plan, but at least it’s better than nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

Target is now open.

I heard good things from people that went yesterday so I stopped by this morning. It's a nice Target- but the whole "fresh produce" thing has been very overblown- they had very, very few items that qualify as fresh produce. A handful of bananas, some assorted fruit, and a couple vegetables on two little racks. Regardless, I'm glad there's a Target (especially the largest one in the area) so close to my house now.

I heard good things from people that went yesterday so I stopped by this morning. It's a nice Target- but the whole "fresh produce" thing has been very overblown- they had very, very few items that qualify as fresh produce. A handful of bananas, some assorted fruit, and a couple vegetables on two little racks. Regardless, I'm glad there's a Target (especially the largest one in the area) so close to my house now.

Wow. Is it in fact the biggest in the market? I guess this makes five (5) total (2-LR, 1 - NLR, 1 - Bryant, 1 - Conway).

Wow. Is it in fact the biggest in the market? I guess this makes five (5) total (2-LR, 1 - NLR, 1 - Bryant, 1 - Conway).

I believe it is, but am having trouble finding numbers on all of them. This new Park Avenue Target is 137,000 sq. feet according to Sync (http://sync.arkansasonline.com/news/2010/jul/20/new-life-midtown/), and it's the only one in the area with the new fresh produce and expanded grocery section. It certainly feels larger inside than the NLR or WLR Targets (WLR is a bit larger than NLR I believe), anyway. If anyone is able to find numbers that would be appreciated. I think it's important to remember this is one of only 10 new Targets opened in 2010, which should make Little Rock and Midtown feel a little special right now considering we already had 2 Target stores in the main Little Rock are and 4 in the region. NWA only got their second Target in the last couple years.

• 1 month later...

Is it just me, or is the lay out of the new target and the parking lot a very bad design? they should have made the entrance toward University and not the other street.

Im interested to see if any other construction will start anytime in the near future.

Is there a current rendering of what the center will look like. I assume the one on the website is out of date.

Is it just me, or is the lay out of the new target and the parking lot a very bad design? they should have made the entrance toward University and not the other street.

Im interested to see if any other construction will start anytime in the near future.

Is there a current rendering of what the center will look like. I assume the one on the website is out of date.

It certainly is awkward in its current form. Since it's so close to my house I have been shopping there quite frequently and every time I get annoyed that the entrance with the stoplight is the one that you have to do the strange snake-around path to get to a parking lane. I also don't understand why they put the only entrance all the way up against the huge rock retaining wall and the smallest section of the parking lot, like you pointed out. A Target that large (I'm still convinced it's the largest in the area, I've been to the NLR, WLR, and Conway Targets in the past couple weeks and it's larger than any of those stores) should really have dual access points in my opinion (do what Wal-Mart does and just put them on either side of the checkouts), but if you're only going to do one entrance, at least put it closer to the bulk of the parking spaces and the main street entrances.

I won't complain too much though, I'm glad that store is there and judging by how busy it has stayed since it opened, I imagine they're happy with the decision too.

I'm also curious about a timeline for additional development at that site- Target seems to have been an excellent choice for an anchor judging by the traffic it draws in, so I'd think any businesses that were waiting to see how Target performed before committing must be feeling a little more comfortable with opening a location in Park Avenue now. Some might wait until after the holiday season is over to see if it takes a hit after New Year's, I suppose, but I'm impatient and I'd like to hear of a timeline now :D .

The University Target is, in fact, the largest in the state.

From my experiences with the company, only their SuperTarget stores have two entrances. At any rate, the new Target is a welcome addition to the area. They carry a brand of gelato that, until now, I've only been able to find at The Fresh Market.

I look forward to this shopping center filling out. With the slowly improving economic conditions and the success of this store, I suspect other chains will move forward with plans to locate at Park Avenue.

The University Target is, in fact, the largest in the state.

From my experiences with the company, only their SuperTarget stores have two entrances. At any rate, the new Target is a welcome addition to the area. They carry a brand of gelato that, until now, I've only been able to find at The Fresh Market.

I look forward to this shopping center filling out. With the slowly improving economic conditions and the success of this store, I suspect other chains will move forward with plans to locate at Park Avenue.

Thanks hyacinth. Do you happen to know the square footage figures compared to the others? The one in Rogers is a relatively good-sized store as well (although probably closer to the WLR location in size than the Park Avenue location) and I was curious about comparisons, as I'd had trouble finding solid numbers on the stores.

Thanks hyacinth. Do you happen to know the square footage figures compared to the others? The one in Rogers is a relatively good-sized store as well (although probably closer to the WLR location in size than the Park Avenue location) and I was curious about comparisons, as I'd had trouble finding solid numbers on the stores.

You're welcome. As of this moment, I don't have the exact numbers but I will post them as soon as I find out.

• 2 weeks later...

Although not part of Park Avenue the old Bennigan's next door will soon be demolished. In its place will be a new McDonald's.

I'm actually happy to hear this. Although I feel that site would be better utilized by a real restaurant, the current building is an eyesore and has been for some time. Add in that there aren't any McDonald's in midtown, and I bet that location will do pretty well. I do imagine access will be a bit difficult though since the restaurant will be somewhat hidden from Markham traffic behind that ugly office building on the corner, you can only access it if you're going southbound, and it doesn't have a connection to Park Avenue (which I don't see anything they can really do about unfortunately). I think they'll probably have to reshape the terrain on that lot a bit- currently there's only one street-level access point and it's not too large. If I were them I'd either want to improve and enlarge that one access point, or make a loop around the building with an entrance and an exit at street-level.

Although not part of Park Avenue the old Bennigan's next door will soon be demolished. In its place will be a new McDonald's.

Wow. Interesting. I live in midtown and had been surprised that no McDonalds ever replaced the one that was closed at Markham/Van Buren (only time I've ever seen a McDonalds close).

I'm also surprised that the Beniggans property wasn't a part of the Park Avenue development. I happen to like McDonalds, and since I live in midtown, I'm glad to hear it!

This McDonalds will be subject to the Mid-town overlay district design standards. It will be interesting to see what it will look like. The sketch on the agenda shows two driveways: one into and out of University, and the other going to the northwest – towards the western side of the office building. By the way, this item has been delayed until the January 27, 2011 agenda meeting.

That's an excellent location for a McDonald's. Honestly, that office building should have been demolished with University Mall.

In response to an earlier post: The University Target has approximately 140K sq ft of retail space, the Rogers Target has appx. 132K sq ft. (These numbers do not include the stock room)

I'm actually happy to hear this. Although I feel that site would be better utilized by a real restaurant, the current building is an eyesore and has been for some time. Add in that there aren't any McDonald's in midtown, and I bet that location will do pretty well. I do imagine access will be a bit difficult though since the restaurant will be somewhat hidden from Markham traffic behind that ugly office building on the corner, you can only access it if you're going southbound, and it doesn't have a connection to Park Avenue (which I don't see anything they can really do about unfortunately). I think they'll probably have to reshape the terrain on that lot a bit- currently there's only one street-level access point and it's not too large. If I were them I'd either want to improve and enlarge that one access point, or make a loop around the building with an entrance and an exit at street-level.

From what I've read, the McDonald's that is going in will not be a full-size McDonald's restaurant. The store will be something like a "McDonald's Express" if there is such a thing.

According to today's Demozette, two restaurants are coming to Park Avenue - Panera Bread and Cheddar's. Cheddar's was mentioned early on as a tenant for Shackleford Crossing, but that was before ground was broken. They'll have less competition here. And, if I remember their menu correctly, it's versatile enough to be a reincarnation of the old Bennigan's.

According to today's Demozette, two restaurants are coming to Park Avenue - Panera Bread and Cheddar's. Cheddar's was mentioned early on as a tenant for Shackleford Crossing, but that was before ground was broken. They'll have less competition here. And, if I remember their menu correctly, it's versatile enough to be a reincarnation of the old Bennigan's.

I'm wondering if the Panera is intended to go into one of the larger buildings or if they're building a single story store nearby? I'd love to see them in one of the taller buildings in the development, and I'm very excited about a Panera being added in midtown.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was just browsing the website and it seems that there are some new site plans up.

Overview:

Most notably missing is the planned tall building on the southeast corner or the property. I also believe that the movie theater is gone, which IMO, is a shame. There is still the main street concept, but when I see it is when ill believe it. The concepts changed so many times, who knows whats actually going to be built. According to plan, the building range from 2 to 5 floors. Retail on the first floor, apartments/offices above. I just dont see that working out. To many cars(Thanks to target), Too few stores/restaurants & no entertainment venue. Maybe Little Rock is still too small to support this type of "planned" development. Lord knows Little Rock is still stuck in the "Suburban" Mindset. At least were not like other places in the state which will remain anonymous.

3 Separate spots for Restaurants.

Phase II: 4-7 story Hotel/Office/Residential building.

There are still several other smaller retail spaces next to target; nothing being larger that 18k sq. ft. I see things like Christian Book Outlet (Just naming stores) going in. If anyone has been to the Fayetteville target, this has the same feel.

IMO, $22 Million was wayyyyy to much just for a Target. Not that I don't love Target, but 22 Mill?

I just cant believe we haven't heard anything out of the developer about the property. Its been a year or 2 and nothing on it. The way things are shaping up, i wouldn't hold much to this place anymore.

Not trying to be a debby downer, but this had so much potential. To bad its turned out like this. Wish I was wrong, but this is looking to be another wasted opportunity in little rock. But I guess patients is a good thing.

Here is what I saw.

http://www.parkavenuelr.com/pdfs/Site-21-Color.pdf

http://www.parkavenuelr.com/pdfs/site_plan_overlay.pdf

Confirmed Tenants: Grand Total of 3.

Target

Chedders

Panera Bread Co.

Archived