Park Avenue

skirby

Dallas is 30 times larger than Little Rock and Frisco has a median income for the entire 100,000 plus population of over $100,000. It is not comparable to Little Rock in any way. Dave and Buster's requires a minimum 2 million people in their market and density that doesn't exist in Arkansas. Ross is similar to TJ Maxx and is certainly not upscale. In and Out Burger is only entering signifcant metro areas and Little Rock won't be on their radar. Melting Pot requires a franchisee.

The Park Avenue development is going to be a very good and long term development with quality national retailers. Little Rock just isn't a large enough market to support mulitple retail developments with high end retailers. Chenal will have the Apples and J Crews of the world and Park Avenue will have tenants that are more typically associated with Target developments in mid-sized Southeast Markets. Think Jackson, Tuscaloosa, Montgomery, Columbia, etc.

People just need to be realistic in viewing what this project will become. It is great for the market and the stores will all perform.

I agree. I'm not say it have to be an upscale shopping center, but it should have a decent selection of tenants. Ross is going in near Burlington Coat Factory and I'm not comparing Little Rock to Frisco. I'm just pointing out that Target does not always be in shopping center that less upscale. I'm still saying that an entertainment place (does not have to be in Dave and Buster) like a movie theater would be good addition to the center.

People say that Little Rock will never get an Apple Store or J. Crew, and Nike but they are setting up shop at the Promenade. So I do think that Melting Pot and Dave and Buster will make it's debut in the future (just not in Park Avenue).

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. I'm not say it have to be an upscale shopping center, but it should a decent selection of tenants. Ross is going in near Burlington Coat Factory and I'm not comparing Little Rock to Frisco. I'm just pointing out that Target does not always be in shopping center that less upscale. I'm still saying that an entertainment (does not have to be in Dave and Buster) like a movie theater would be good addition to the center.

A theater was on the original plans, but I don't think they've been able to turn up any interest. I agree that entertainment would be a big get for the center and for that area. Even if an independant did a Jillian's/Lucky Strike/D&B type concept, I would anticipate that it would be successful. Rents are very high though...

People say that Little Rock will never get an Apple Store or J. Crew, and Nike but they are setting up shop at the Promenade. So I do think that Melting Pot and Dave and Buster will make it's debut in the future (just not in Park Avenue).

On the Nike store, it's not a Nike Town store like you would see in Chicago or San Francisco. It's a Nike Factory Store like the ones you see in the outlet malls in Branson or Tunica. I'm really surprised that this is going in at the Promenade. It seems much more like a store suited for Shackleford Crossings.

On the Nike store, it's not a Nike Town store like you would see in Chicago or San Francisco. It's a Nike Factory Store like the ones you see in the outlet malls in Branson or Tunica. I'm really surprised that this is going in at the Promenade. It seems much more like a store suited for Shackleford Crossings.

Niketown is in large cities like New York, Chicago, or San Francisco so I don't expect to see one here. Even Dallas, Houston, or Memphis doesn't have a Niketown flagship store. I think it's cool to have this store here in Arkansas due to the fact that it's new to the market. I do agree, however, that the factory store shouldn't be in the Promenade shopping center. I was hoping for Fossil or Urban Outfitters to go in the Promenade.

Niketown is in large cities like New York, Chicago, or San Francisco so I don't expect to see one here. Even Dallas, Houston, or Memphis doesn't have a Niketown flagship store. I think it's cool to have this store here in Arkansas due to the fact that it's new to the market. I do agree, however, that the factory store shouldn't be in the Promenade shopping center. I was hoping for Fossil or Urban Outfitters to go in the Promenade.

There is a significant retail development along the Red River in Bossier City, LA that is ALL outlet shops, but you wouldn't know it by walking around. It's fairly well done, and they have a Nike Factory store. Frankly, the stores all appear to be traditional retail outlets...at least the Nike store did.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Cheddar's is coming along very nicely- looks like it will be a handsome looking building. They've started retaining wall work on the north side street fronted lot (is that the Panera location?), and there's a lot of dirt and sewer work being done all over the project site right now. The only signs up are for a "Verizon- Coming Soon", "AT&T- Coming Soon", and "Staples- Coming Soon". Not to be too pessimistic, but so far this is giving me very little to get excited about- more generic strip mall style stores....

It's quite sad really...what a complete missed opportunity and failure to adhere to the original plan presented. This is most certainly turning out to be nothing short of a benign, typical strip center that fails to live up to the prominence and potential of a fairly urban, mid-town location. Quite frankly, it makes me angry.

It's quite sad really...what a complete missed opportunity and failure to adhere to the original plan presented.  This is most certainly turning out to be nothing short of a benign, typical strip center that fails to live up to the prominence and potential of a fairly urban, mid-town location.  Quite frankly, it makes me angry.

I actually sent a letter to Strode (something I've never done before about a development) when they announced the scaled back plan urging them to consider the long-term impact of the project and the long term financial benefit that would be gleaned by waiting until they could move forward with the original plan. I basically asked them to do the project right and not water down one of the most significant plots of Little Rock retail property with another generic "power" center. I guess they didn't read my letter ;).

I actually sent a letter to Strode (something I've never done before about a development) when they announced the scaled back plan urging them to consider the long-term impact of the project and the long term financial benefit that would be gleaned by waiting until they could move forward with the original plan. I basically asked them to do the project right and not water down one of the most significant plots of Little Rock retail property with another generic "power" center. I guess they didn't read my letter ;).

Good for you! And...where was the city on approving these "revised" plans that deterred from the originally approved concept?

Good for you! And...where was the city on approving these "revised" plans that deterred from the originally approved concept?

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn, but the Developer received plenty of flack from the local community, neighbors, etc about what everybody "feels" like Park Avenue ought to be. They came up with what planning felt like was a good alternative because what they initially proposed received so much kickback. But you're absolutely right that what we're going to get is watered down and it completely sucks compared to what we were initially sold on this project. As an objective view from the sidelines, but having first hand knowledge of how things are being played out at Park Avenue, it's not really Strode's fault that this thing has floundered. Just my $.02.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Went to Cheddar's during Halloween night and it was packed. The restaurant is very nice on the inside and the food is good at a reasonable price. They do give you huge portion so it is enough for two. I do agree that this is definitely better than Applebee's, Chili's, or Friday's. This place will not have any problem attracting people.

• 3 weeks later...

According to an article in the Democrat Gazette today, the Residences at Park Avenue (202 apartments) are supposed to open next year. Seeing as how construction hasn't even started on them yet, that seems a bit optimistic to me, but it does indicate that some serious construction on the rest of the Park Avenue development will be getting underway next year.

• 3 months later...

According to an article in the Democrat Gazette today, the Residences at Park Avenue (202 apartments) are supposed to open next year. Seeing as how construction hasn't even started on them yet, that seems a bit optimistic to me, but it does indicate that some serious construction on the rest of the Park Avenue development will be getting underway next year.

Today the ADG is reporting that building permits for the apartments have been issued. The total for the construction is $16 million.There will be two five story buildings and one four story building with some ground floor retail.

Today the ADG is reporting that building permits for the apartments have been issued. The total for the construction is $16 million.There will be two five story buildings and one four story building with some ground floor retail.

That's good to hear. They've been pushing dirt around and doing some ground work for some time now so I'll be excited to see steel going up. I wish the development had played out more according to the original plan, but it'll still be a nice development overall for Midtown. I'm pretty confident Cheddar's is happy with that location too, that place has been swamped since it opened!

Wow...excellent. Glad to see that the "mixed-use" concept is still at play, even though it seems a bit watered down given the more typical retail layout (so far).

More specifics were in the ADG today: http://www.arkansaso...0120225/?latest

The earlier cost mention was under apparently:

A Dallas apartment developer will spend more than $30 million to build 261 upscale apartments there, executives with the Dallas firm of Lang Partners say.

Also another building not mentioned earlier this week:

Lang will build two four story apartment buildings and a five-story building in the middle of Park Avenue, plus a four-story building on McKinley Street, north of the Target store. The three adjacent buildings will have 202 units and the fourth building will have 59 units, Ausburn said. ... The apartments will rent for $800 to $1,750 a month. They will range from 600 square feet to 1,500 square feet. ... The apartments should be completed by early next year, he said.

And more good news for future residents/people wanting a gym in midtown (I think we'd heard about this previously, but it's been a while):

[planned]athletic club

More specifics were in the ADG today: http://www.arkansaso...0120225/?latest

The earlier cost mention was under apparently:

Also another building not mentioned earlier this week:

And more good news for future residents/people wanting a gym in midtown (I think we'd heard about this previously, but it's been a while):

So the buildings are just apartments, not retail on the first floor and offices and apartments above? What a disappointment. And who wants to live in an apartment where they look out their window and see Staples and Mattress King? This shopping center had so much potential, but I think they've veered off course.

Archived