Park Avenue

skirby

I've read that there will likely be a hotel on the property. It would be nice if he could bring in a signature hotel not in the market, like Marriott or Westin.

That would be a coup for the Mid-town area. It would depend on the tenants for retail and what kind of tenants he gets for the office component. If Strode brings in tenants on par or greater than Midtowne, I could see it. I guess it's possible since there is a Hilton down the street. Just as long that it's not another Holiday Inn Express or Hampton Inn.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does Sears have any plans? it seems to be just stuck there all by itself. Is that how they like it? Its never busy.

Sears was once going to Shackleford Crossing.

Every news account I've ever read about Sears when a Sears person is quoted, they invariably say that that store is a very good store for them.

That said, I thought I got some good scuttlebutt from someone I know who works for the City in the planning department. I posted it here a while back. The property from I-630 to Capitol Ave (runs if front of Doctors Hospital and makes southern border of Park Avenue), is under ownership of one entity. That entity was looking at a major redevelopment of the property. The Sears and Sears would stay. The Sears Auto Center would go. Also, the parking deck that juts out into University Avenue now would go.

If this ever materializes, it would be fantastic.

Does Sears have any plans? it seems to be just stuck there all by itself. Is that how they like it? Its never busy.

Its a nice store with INCREDIBLE visibility along the busiest freeway in the state. It needs to stay to build upon the critical mass of Park Avenue. I can't imagine they'd want to move it now with a grand new development next door.

Its a nice store with INCREDIBLE visibility along the busiest freeway in the state. It needs to stay to build upon the critical mass of Park Avenue. I can't imagine they'd want to move it now with a grand new development next door.

Sometimes I wish it were a bit more elegant in presentation, but I agree with you...it needs to stay. I used to bad-mouth Sears as an organization, but I've been quite happy with that store for several years.

Sometimes I wish it were a bit more elegant in presentation, but I agree with you...it needs to stay. I used to bad-mouth Sears as an organization, but I've been quite happy with that store for several years.

Yeah, I agree. Its stood the test of time pretty well considering though. And to be honest - and probably few here would agree with me - I sort of like the blue-glazed brick color that it used to be before they painted it the tan! :o

Do you think that they will emplode the mall, or just take it down piece by piece. i thoght that emplosion of that UAMS dorm was awsome. anways, i wounder how they will go about it. I hope they make a formal announcement. Its deffently going to be differnt if they dont add any tall structures to the area. The mall sorta shapes the midtown skyline.

Do you think that they will emplode the mall, or just take it down piece by piece. i thoght that emplosion of that UAMS dorm was awsome. anways, i wounder how they will go about it. I hope they make a formal announcement. Its deffently going to be differnt if they dont add any tall structures to the area. The mall sorta shapes the midtown skyline.

No real reason to implode it. I don't know a lot about demolition, but the mall seems to have too large of a footprint (and not enough height) to fall in with the profile of buildings that are imploded.

No real reason to implode it. I don't know a lot about demolition, but the mall seems to have too large of a footprint (and not enough height) to fall in with the profile of buildings that are imploded.

Demolition of the outbuildings has moved along very quickly. I haven't see that they've started on the main structure yet, at least from the University side.

• 4 weeks later...

When do you think they will show a rendering of it? I meen, if its going to open in spring 2009, thats almost less a year from now.

In his last interview, Strode said the design of the project is a work in progress.

According to the latest news headlines, the retail scene, particularly the national chains, are going to curve their growth and expansion in the coming months. I assume that will effect Park Avenue.

This could be a good thing. In times of prosperity a retailer and developer may assume more risk because the can afford to. The developer may oversize the development speculating that prosperous times are here to stay. In this scenario a developer may strike agreements with a few risky tenants that turn out not to be able to withstand the hard times. In contrast, when economic conditions are difficult, there is less incentive to assume as much risk. Translation.. perhaps harder economic times yeild better committed longterm tenants. Who knows?

In his last interview, Strode said the design of the project is a work in progress.

According to the latest news headlines, the retail scene, particularly the national chains, are going to curve their growth and expansion in the coming months. I assume that will effect Park Avenue.

This could be a good thing. In times of prosperity a retailer and developer may assume more risk because the can afford to. The developer may oversize the development speculating that prosperous times are here to stay. In this scenario a developer may strike agreements with a few risky tenants that turn out not to be able to withstand the hard times. In contrast, when economic conditions are difficult, there is less incentive to assume as much risk. Translation.. perhaps harder economic times yeild better committed longterm tenants. Who knows?

I was wondering if this was going to end up happening. However, by the time Park Avenue is completed, the recession will likely be over so I wouldn't worry unless Fall 2009 gets here and we are still in a recession. In my opinion, other than Coach and DSW, most of what LR is lacking is in the restaurant industry. LR doesn't have a lot of upscale chain restaurants. We have upscale restaurants but most of them are locally owned. Some would say thats not necissarily a bad thing, although I think we need more of a variety. There are not so upscale ones too that I would like to see. Among my wishlist are Cheesecake Factory, Buffalo Wild Wings, Panera Bread, Abuelos/Cantina Loredo, Carabbas, and Joes Crab Shack. How do you think the recession will effect our ability to land restaurants?

Archived