Park Avenue

skirby

Maybe I missed it, but has there been any discussion about a movie complex at Park Avenue? I was shocked when UA closed their Park Plaza location since it was always crowded, but I understand that had more to do with the financial problems of UA than any particular location. I think a theater would be a huge hit since (short of Riverdale, which is admittedly, pretty weak) all significant theaters are 8+ miles away. I think it would be as significant as a Target since, likewise, all large retailers are also suburban.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe I missed it, but has there been any discussion about a movie complex at Park Avenue? I was shocked when UA closed their Park Plaza location since it was always crowded, but I understand that had more to do with the financial problems of UA than any particular location. I think a theater would be a huge hit since (short of Riverdale, which is admittedly, pretty weak) all significant theaters are 8+ miles away. I think it would be as significant as a Target since, likewise, all large retailers are also suburban.

I agree and so does the Urban Land Institute. While a movie theater has previously been discussed for this area, Strode hasn't mention one, nor has anyone else I know of mentioned one in connection to Park Avenue.

Strode- If you're reading this, we want a theater!

I agree and so does the Urban Land Institute. While a movie theater has previously been discussed for this area, Strode hasn't mention one, nor has anyone else I know of mentioned one in connection to Park Avenue.

Strode- If you're reading this, we want a theater!

Exactly! If you want to encourage night-life and activity at the development - tie a theater in with the restaurants, D&B, etc....

Exactly! If you want to encourage night-life and activity at the development - tie a theater in with the restaurants, D&B, etc....

The slogan is Live.Work.Play, so obviously there is some kind of nightlife or recreational venue planned. A theater would be nice. I really wish the IMAX was locating there instead of way out in Chenal.

The slogan is Live.Work.Play, so obviously there is some kind of nightlife or recreational venue planned. A theater would be nice. I really wish the IMAX was locating there instead of way out in Chenal.

Good call about the "Play" thing - obviously they intend for this to have some level of entertainment...

We've been speculating on this for a while. I thought a theater would do much better in the midtown area than Chenal when there are two stadium-seating theaters in West LR already. Park Plaza's theater closed and Riverdale is crappy, it seems like a matter of time before this happens.

That said, don't be surprised if it goes in the old Sears location if it relocated or somewhere other than Park Avenue.

We've been speculating on this for a while. I thought a theater would do much better in the midtown area than Chenal when there are two stadium-seating theaters in West LR already. Park Plaza's theater closed and Riverdale is crappy, it seems like a matter of time before this happens.

That said, don't be surprised if it goes in the old Sears location if it relocated or somewhere other than Park Avenue.

Do you think Sears would actually relocate? Would they not be well situated as-is with Park Avenue coming online? I assume they would have moved already if they were going to - to Shackleford Crossing.

Do you think Sears would actually relocate? Would they not be well situated as-is with Park Avenue coming online? I assume they would have moved already if they were going to - to Shackleford Crossing.

Does Sears own the building? If they do, that's why they aren't moving. And I agree with you that they will be well situated when Park Avenue comes on line.

Does Sears own the building? If they do, that's why they aren't moving. And I agree with you that they will be well situated when Park Avenue comes on line.

They do not own the building. Despite the fact they were a planned tenant for the Summit Mall, every report from a Sear representative that I have read has indicated that they do very well at that location.

My understanding is that the people who own the sears building and land are the same people who own the Doctors Hospital Building and land. In other words, everything south of Park Avenue to I-630 is under one owner.

I posted a while back (pre Strode purchase of Univ Mall Prop) that that area was being considered for major redevelopment. This information came to me from someone I respect in the City planning department. I haven't heard anything since.

At one point about 2 years ago they were looking at a non-Shackleford Crossing site in West LR. That's all I know.

We should soon be getting a better idea about the design and appearance of Park Avenue. The Park Avenue PCD (Planned Commercial District) is scheduled to be presented to the LR Planning Commission at its March 27th public hearing.

I wonder if Strode might make an announcement before then to preempt the media attention this item will undoubtedly receive before the meeting ever takes place. I know the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette often presents articles about major projects before the planning commission hears the item at its meetings. The description and site plans are made available at least a week before the meetings. Whether Strode announces first, or the commission hears the item first, we will know more about the project within a month

We should soon be getting a better idea about the design and appearance of Park Avenue. The Park Avenue PCD (Planned Commercial District) is scheduled to be presented to the LR Planning Commission at its March 27th public hearing.

I wonder if Strode might make an announcement before then to preempt the media attention this item will undoubtedly receive before the meeting ever takes place. I know the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette often presents articles about major projects before the planning commission hears the item at its meetings. The description and site plans are made available at least a week before the meetings. Whether Strode announces first, or the commission hears the item first, we will know more about the project within a month

Awesome. I'm (nervously) anxious to see what they're planning. I REALLY hope its a relatively dense development with 3-4 story buildings with retail below and office/residential above, with a few (future) planned medical office buildings and/or residential towers planned. In other words, I hope this increases density and is comparable to larger, infill developments I've seen in Atlanta and other places, and NOT just a low-rise, low-density shopping center.

Teflon tents are all droopy now. St Vincent is putting on the glass facade of the expansion. The skyline is changing.

Awesome. I'm (nervously) anxious to see what they're planning. I REALLY hope its a relatively dense development with 3-4 story buildings with retail below and office/residential above, with a few (future) planned medical office buildings and/or residential towers planned. In other words, I hope this increases density and is comparable to larger, infill developments I've seen in Atlanta and other places, and NOT just a low-rise, low-density shopping center.

If I owned that property and had the money, I would develop it in phases if I had to but I would get as much out of that acreage as I could. The price of the land and demolition pretty much command density.

Today's Arkansas Democrat-Gazette revealed the first information regarding Strode's plans for Park Avenue that we've all been waiting for! Here is the link to the article (which may only be available today for non-subscribers):

http://www2.arkansasonline.com/news/2008/m...criber/national

Here are the salient points of the development outlined in the article, covering the unveiling to the Midtown Redevelopment Advisory Board:

I'm pleased. I would have like to have a better grocery option in Midtown, though Kroger in the Heights has undergone a remodel that added a Starbucks and a more robust sushi counter. I'm still a I-want-a-REAL-Whole-Foods guy.

This was definitely presented as a midpoint in the design of the plans for Park Avenue. Two things stood out to me that may influence the final plans. First, Kellar said

Read the article and I'm pleased. It stated that they were in talks with 3 book stores. I imagine Border's and Barnes and Noble are two, but what could the third be? Also I like the fact that they said that there will be many restaurants. I'm hoping several will be new to the market. The anchor tenant will dictate what the other tenants may look like. I know that Target has been mentioned, but what if they announce that Macy's is the anchor tenant. I think most want Target though and it's needed in the area.

Another interesting point was that the article said that rents for the apartments will be higher than others in the Midtown area. I like the mix of retail, office and residential. I wish a hotel could have fit on the site as well. Something like a Hyatt Place would have been a good fit.

Someone on the committee hoped that elevated walkways could be built over University and over Markham to connect Midtowne, Park Plaza and Park Avenue. That would be great, but money would be the major issue to that getting done.

I'm pleased. I would have like to have a better grocery option in Midtown, though Kroger in the Heights has undergone a remodel that added a Starbucks and a more robust sushi counter. I'm still a I-want-a-REAL-Whole-Foods guy.

This was definitely presented as a midpoint in the design of the plans for Park Avenue. Two things stood out to me that may influence the final plans. First, Kellar said “We’re tenant-driven on the retail side, no doubt,” with retailers calling the shots on how they’d like the center to be set up. Target is a prime example of this. A Target requires that sea of asphalt that contradicts the density that is more desirable for this site. The rendering places the parking behind the building. This is one of the requirements of the overlay for the district. (I want the new Walgreen's on Markham to do this also.) Second, the economic downturn will keep the development more pragmatic.

Like you Architect, I would welcome either a taller office or residential building.

So far I am pleased with the plans. It will be nice having a Target in midtown as it is a pain driving to WLR or NLR if I need it. Target is generally more flexible when it comes to conforming to an area than Wal-Mart. They can be urban or suburban depending on location. I am hoping this bookstore will be Borders and not another Barnes and Noble. I agree about a Whole Foods and I was kind of hoping it would end up as part of the project. It could easily be supported by residents in Hillcrest and the Heights. Do you think Whole Foods will ever upgrade the existing Wild Oats location? I see it as a good sign that they eventually might have something planed being that they haven't closed it. My biggest worry is how the recession will effect this. Hopefully we will be nearing the end of it come late 2009. As for Macy's, I almost think I would prefer it to be out in the Promenade at Chenal rather than in Park Avenue.

So far I am pleased with the plans. It will be nice having a Target in midtown as it is a pain driving to WLR or NLR if I need it. Target is generally more flexible when it comes to conforming to an area than Wal-Mart. They can be urban or suburban depending on location. I am hoping this bookstore will be Borders and not another Barnes and Noble. I agree about a Whole Foods and I was kind of hoping it would end up as part of the project. It could easily be supported by residents in Hillcrest and the Heights. Do you think Whole Foods will ever upgrade the existing Wild Oats location? I see it as a good sign that they eventually might have something planed being that they haven't closed it. My biggest worry is how the recession will effect this. Hopefully we will be nearing the end of it come late 2009. As for Macy's, I almost think I would prefer it to be out in the Promenade at Chenal rather than in Park Avenue.

Wild Oats current store is definitely going to close at some point in favor of a bigger one. They wanted to go into Midtown but then the merger with Whole Foods scrapped that. WF wanted to put in a store at Promenade at Chenal and that got nixed because of problems with the merger, which almost wasn't allowed because of concerns about a monopoly.

I think availability of land and demographics would push the new WF into West LR somewhere. The 72223/72212, etc demographics are very tough for retailers to resist.

Archived