Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRDadof3

100 story Waldorf Hotel and Condominium tower proposed

12 posts in this topic

Proposed for Streeterville, just North of the Sheraton Chicago Hotel, it will be 100 stories tall and contain condominiums averaging $800/sf, as well as a new Waldorf Astoria Hotel.

The building will be shorter than Hancock and the new Trump Tower, but at 1100 feet, still quite an impressive feat if built. The developer on this project also spearheaded the development of the Calatrava Fordham Spire site nearby.

3052.jpg

The shaded box to the left is a proposed 48 story condo tower by a Houston firm.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=48677

http://www.suntimes.com/business/578552,CS...build28.article

Appears to be on the site of the surface parking lot in the middle of the map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&ll...p;z=17&om=1

Wow! Great news. It will certainly alter the skyline if this and the Spire get built. Both are very "un-Chicago-like" in their forms. May take a bit of getting used to, but really nice, nonetheless.

The Daily Herald article quotes David Greydanus, from Waldorf Astoria Collection. He is from Grand Rapids originally, Dadoff. A home boy made good.

Wow! Great news. It will certainly alter the skyline if this and the Spire get built. Both are very "un-Chicago-like" in their forms. May take a bit of getting used to, but really nice, nonetheless.

The Daily Herald article quotes David Greydanus, from Waldorf Astoria Collection. He is from Grand Rapids originally, Dadoff. A home boy made good.

That is one very cool looking tower. I hope it gets built. As for the remark of it being "un-Chicago like", I would like to reply with the point that one of the strongest aspects about Chicago that I like is the city's endless variety of Architecture. This new tower along with Chicago Spire will add yet another facet to Chicago's architectural variety.

In the article posted above, it mentions the developer wants to transform a Daniel Burnham building in the Loop to a JW Marriott (hey, doesn't Grand Rapids already have a JW? :P )

The building is at 208 S. LaSalle, right by the Fed, Board of Trade and Sears Tower. The building fills a block. It is huge.

1509718035_14ceab4825.jpg

1509718017_bb91c66013.jpg

1509717985_0126ea7268.jpg

In the article posted above, it mentions the developer wants to transform a Daniel Burnham building in the Loop to a JW Marriott (hey, doesn't Grand Rapids already have a JW? :P )

The building is at 208 S. LaSalle, right by the Fed, Board of Trade and Sears Tower. The building fills a block. It is huge.

Yes, the building does have a movie theater and a hip bowling alley (martinis while bowling).

I have shopped at Fox & Obel. What a cool place. A little expensive, but really nice display, great collection of fine food items like olive oils, vinegars, wines, etc. They also have a little cafe area and in the summer, outdoor seating. Next time you are in the hood...stop by!

Just a few images:

WaldorfAstoriaLarge.jpg

WaldorfAstoriaRenderII.jpg

WaldorfAstoriaRenderIII.jpg

Okay, so what Ive come across elsewhere is that Carley and team will submit to the city a zoning change for a height of 1,265 ft and 107 floors. Things may and probably will change but this is the latest news.

I hope this one gets built, but after Carley was unable to secure financing for his version of the Spire I remain a bit skeptical. I do think the Waldorf=Astoria branding helps and even if there is a glut in the condo market, Chicago can still support hotels. Also noticed on another forum that an application has been made to make zoning changes to permit this sort of development, though I don't think a date has been set for a public hearing.

1509718035_14ceab4825.jpg

1509718017_bb91c66013.jpg

This tower was approved by the planning commission today.