Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wendell FOX

Sapphire Tower design update

Wendell FOX    0

The 80-story Downtown Plaza tower by Stinson is slated to be renamed the "Sapphire Tower", though no official announcement has been made.

The new web site is here: http://sapphiretower.com/ though there's nothing but a quick ad at the moment.

Renderings by cassiusa and WhistlerInMuskoka (UT):

Sapphire-ECR2.jpg

SAPPHIRE_02.jpg

Delta    0

Let's hope that this one turns out equally as good if not better than the renders that have been out so far. Should be a nice addtion to the Toronto skyline.

It always reminds me of a mix of the proposed 1 Bloor East (what is happening with that one?), Trump Tower for Toronto (I think it's in the spire-like tip along with the sharp corner the full height of the tower) and Petronas Towers, KL (the cirucular glass-forms).

Any idea of a construction start date as yet?

swags    0

Ooooohhh... I like the new flat part. Looks like the Trump Tower though lol. Oh well, still looks awesome... I can't wait for it to be built.

Delta    0

Once agian I ask is there any idea of a construction start date/month as yet on this seemingly well designed tower conf.gif .

Wendell FOX    0

^ There is no completion date that I know of, they're still shuffling through the renderings it seems.

The Sapphire Tower has added a new "turret"/spire portion with a Canadian Flag, and up to the tip of the turret the height will be 273m. The spire height is estimated to be 315m but not sure.

index_r2_c2.jpg

Here is a PDF showing its height relative to its skyline:

http://sapphiretower.com/pdf/skyline.pdf

Skyline sketch from official site:

view05.gif

Suggested base rendering by WhisterInMuskoka:

lobby.jpg

Wendell FOX    0

From Emporis.com:

Sapphire Tower

2004-05-28

Reported by Edward Chamberlain

News: A new name for a new design

Toronto: Harry Stinson's Downtown Plaza project has been renamed "Sapphire Tower", in reference to the blue glass facade that will shroud the recently redesigned tower. In addition to the gemstone cladding, Stinson also plans a 15 storey base of Jerusalem Gold limestone, a rooftop terrace/spa, a restaurant on the 16th floor, and a 24 hour market among many other residential amenities.

The addition of a "prismatic turret" to the southwest face of the design, topped by a spire of a yet undisclosed height, has lead to speculation that Stinson may be planning to truly trump Donald Trump

Delta    0

Even better. A further 8 levels of magnificance - great!

Thanks for all the info. updates on this one Wendell FOX. The very recent description from emporis.com has my mouth watering.

Staying tuned.

Delta    0

^ lol if I had a dollar for every time I said that, I would have.....uhmmmm. my own uhmmmmmm??????, I know!......corporate reality T.V. show.

jackhammer    0

It seems a few people are anxious to see this thing get built. I do not know when the shovel is to hit the ground. However, the estimated completion date is early-mid 2007.

ilzg    0

It seems a few people are anxious to see this thing get built.  I do not know when the shovel is to hit the ground.  However, the estimated completion date is early-mid 2007.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The completion date is expected to be sometime in 2008. The original completion date was June 2007 but that will deffinately not happen.