Judicial Center

socaguy

I thought since this potentially may be one of Augustas' tallest buildings it warrants its own thread. Original plans were for a 20 floor tower. Not sure what the plans are now but the city just gave the go-ahead for architects to start the design. The area it is going up in, the southern edge of Downtown around Walton Way and 10th street is getting ready for a boom. A new 100,000 sq. ft. library is being worked on as well as a new mixed use development with townhomes. After the judicial center goes up we should see an influx of restaurants and other businesses catering to the city workers.

Exciting news for Augusta!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

The only highrises over 10 floors i know about are the judicial center, condos, & i heard a hotel might come with the condos. Then the 2 condos proposed on washington rd. One is in the food lion plaza, i think their lease is up by end of 07 or 08. The other one is in the national hills shopping center. I dont know how tall they will be though. The library is only 5 to 6 floors thats being built downtown. The convention center & whites building are going to be midlevel structures. Augusta mall was supposed to get a hotel, if it did with all the construction its having already im sure some more hotels would follow.

They want to start construction on the judicial center by summer 08. That would be great to go along with the condos starting construction in jan 08 next year.

I think the Judicial Center may only be 6 floors or even...gasp...2 smaller buildings, (1, 4 floor and 1, 2 floor) There are several different options they are looking at but 6 floors looks like the max. Im not too worried about it anymore....it will be a nice building, (hopefully) whatever they do and should liven up that neighborhood greatly. Where is the info on the Library? Im thinking now it probably will be 3 floors max if even that, (probably 2.) The condos at the Fresh Market shopping center is dead and havent heard of the proposal for the one at Food Lion on Washington rd. Come to think of it I cant even place that in my mind....where is it?

I think the Judicial Center may only be 6 floors or even...gasp...2 smaller buildings, (1, 4 floor and 1, 2 floor) There are several different options they are looking at but 6 floors looks like the max. Im not too worried about it anymore....it will be a nice building, (hopefully) whatever they do and should liven up that neighborhood greatly. Where is the info on the Library? Im thinking now it probably will be 3 floors max if even that, (probably 2.) The condos at the Fresh Market shopping center is dead and havent heard of the proposal for the one at Food Lion on Washington rd. Come to think of it I cant even place that in my mind....where is it?

• 1 month later...

The location of the Judicial center is a travesty.. An urban planning consulting firm was hired to advise the city on what would be the ideal location for the center. The experts said the location should command civic prominence and should be centrally located in downtown..A green street location was recommended.. but what did the city do with the recommendations from the experts that they paid for?... ignored them.. The location along Walton way is, at best, on the fringe of downtown... and does not command civic prominence. It will be isolated off to itself away the hub of downtown.. this is a bad location. But, as usual ,politics in Augusta ignores common sense. This facility could have been a real centerpiece for downtown and could have helped to ignite interest in more businesses on Broad Street.. but now it will located way off in left field.... smart move politicians.

I agree it needs to be redevoped by not with the Judicial Center... A building of that civic importance needs to be centrally located and within a couple blocks walk of Broad Street at most.. not out on the fringe.. In order for the judicial center to be a catalyst for new growth.. it needs to be well connected to the core of downtown..THis was the recommendation of the urban planning EXPERTS hired to find the best location for the judicial center. this is the same mistake they made with the civic center.. The civic center site was built too far from the center of downtown.. back in the 70s studies were done of where the best location for the civic center would be and where it sended up was NOT one of the top choices.. It ended up there because some local politician had connections to that property. A similar thing is happening with the judicial center. Augusta needs to build a focal point for downtown, not continually disperse things out.. when this happens you never get the critical mass needed to catalyze new devt.

Personally I like the Walton Way location. Something needs to be done with all of those empty, weedy lots over there and developers certainly arent fighting for them.

It should be noted that the DDA is in the process of extending Downtowns borders To Wrightsboro Rd instead of Walton Way and past 15th street to include Harrisburg...so that would be a good catalyst to start more downtown growth in that area.

• 1 month later...

The original price tag was 80 million for a 20 story building. Now its 65 million for i don't know how tall

Judicial Center going up in Downtown Augusta

The prep work starts in 2008 and major construction of the project should get underway in early 2009 and take nearly two years to complete.

The Judicial Center is to be built along 9th Street and Walton Way.

Archived