SREE Springhill Suites Hotel and Center City Green

uptownliving

8 hours ago, southslider said:

^This is a great visual example of how much less space people take up than their personal transportation tanks.

In London, England the area of Chelsea is among the most affluent of any in the city. Those who flaunt their status driving "urban assault vehicles" have them referred to as Chelsea Tractors. The term now has gravitated to anyone who drives such a vehicle and lives in a dense urban environment where it cannot be justified.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
10 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I love how narrow it is

Pictures don't do it justice.  It looks narrow and it's on a small lot, but given the density of the area, it is VERY imposing.  It will add a GREAT element of diversity and action to the TWC Arena Spectrum Arena area.  Could be dangerous for pedestrians, though.  As that area gets hit with a lot of traffic, and cars going around that curve don't exactly go slow.

27 minutes ago, alb1no panther said:

Pictures don't do it justice.  It looks narrow and it's on a small lot, but given the density of the area, it is VERY imposing.  It will add a GREAT element of diversity and action to the TWC Arena Spectrum Arena area.  Could be dangerous for pedestrians, though.  As that area gets hit with a lot of traffic, and cars going around that curve don't exactly go slow.

5th street really needs to loose a lane, maybe to on-street parking. There should be some sneck-downs at the light rail crossings, too, to force cars to slow down.

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

5th street really needs to loose a lane, maybe to on-street parking. There should be some sneck-downs at the light rail crossings, too, to force cars to slow down.

Between College and McDowell, yes.  The right lane is essentially useless for free-flowing vehicular traffic anyway because there is often a police car parked at 1BAC where 5th goes from two lanes to three, the main entrance to the BACC garage (three entry/exit lanes) is just before the light rail tracks causing constant backups during rush hours, and there are often vehicles (including buses) temporarily parked by TWC Arena between the tracks and Brevard.  And beyond Caldwell, 5th becomes four lanes which is excessive even for the main highway-connecting eastbound street leaving Uptown since traffic funneled onto Independence is narrowed to two lanes and then to one before merging onto the highway.

15 minutes ago, cltcane said:

Between College and McDowell, yes.  The right lane is essentially useless for free-flowing vehicular traffic anyway because there is often a police car parked at 1BAC where 5th goes from two lanes to three, the main entrance to the BACC garage (three entry/exit lanes) is just before the light rail tracks causing constant backups during rush hours, and there are often vehicles (including buses) temporarily parked by TWC Arena between the tracks and Brevard.  And beyond Caldwell, 5th becomes four lanes which is excessive even for the main highway-connecting eastbound street leaving Uptown since traffic funneled onto Independence is narrowed to two lanes and then to one before merging onto the highway.

The tricky part with the right lane along TWC Arena is crowd control. I doubt very much that on-street parking would work well along there because I'm sure for security/crowd concerns they wouldn't want cars along there. Beyond Caldwell I totally agree, there are way too many lanes. I'm surprised that "low hanging fruit" hasn't already been tapped for 24/7 on-street parking.

4 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

The tricky part with the right lane along TWC Arena is crowd control. I doubt very much that on-street parking would work well along there because I'm sure for security/crowd concerns they wouldn't want cars along there. Beyond Caldwell I totally agree, there are way too many lanes. I'm surprised that "low hanging fruit" hasn't already been tapped for 24/7 on-street parking.

I agree on-street parking wouldn't work between College and Caldwell.  Since it is used for official parking and temporary loading/unloading at TWC Arena anyway, I was thinking it could be made into a permanent loading/buffer lane with a turn/merge section for the BACC garage and the protected right turn onto Caldwell at the light rail spur.  Then one of the lanes from Caldwell to McDowell could revert to street parking (there are already meters, but they are covered up).

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2016 at 11:29 AM, cltcane said:

I agree on-street parking wouldn't work between College and Caldwell.  Since it is used for official parking and temporary loading/unloading at TWC Arena anyway, I was thinking it could be made into a permanent loading/buffer lane with a turn/merge section for the BACC garage and the protected right turn onto Caldwell at the light rail spur.  Then one of the lanes from Caldwell to McDowell could revert to street parking (there are already meters, but they are covered up).

The biggest challenge to on-street parking there is that when you get past Brevard St you wouldn't have the necessary sight distance to parallel park safely. I'd rather see the right lane converted into a protected bike lane after the tracks.

3 minutes ago, alb1no panther said:

Great glass work going in.  Will try and get some pics tomorrow.

Can I request an image from the Hornets Practice Facility? Need a new angle for this fella.

Just now, alb1no panther said:

@Jayvee

we had the same idea haha surprised we didn't cross paths!

Note on the last pic....I forgot to take a better picture, but the elevator shaft has surpassed the parking deck height.

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

IMG_0095.JPG

IMG_0096.JPG

IMG_0098.JPG

IMG_0097.JPG

Maybe yall did? Jayvee did you see this guy walking around?
27493128fe84939332f1f2e381f4f4f7.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got to take a walk through this site the other day, I have a buddy that is working on the site. It really is a fascinating project with the limited space they have and the logistics. I haven't read back to what all has been shared on here, but I did learn a few things. All those balconies on the front end or the original rendering were removed, so it should just be a glass wall now. The other thing that surprised me were the bathrooms, if you look on some of the pictures posted, there are white boxes in the rooms, those are pre-fabricated bathrooms that they just slide into place. And I mean completely done, all the plumbing, electrical, paint, tile, finishes are in it, they just hook it up. I thought it was a pretty cool idea, but my buddy said they have been nothing but a pain. The rooms are painfully small, I really don't see how they plan to fit full beds in these rooms, but what do I know.

12 hours ago, Squid7085 said:

I got to take a walk through this site the other day, I have a buddy that is working on the site. It really is a fascinating project with the limited space they have and the logistics. I haven't read back to what all has been shared on here, but I did learn a few things. All those balconies on the front end or the original rendering were removed, so it should just be a glass wall now. The other thing that surprised me were the bathrooms, if you look on some of the pictures posted, there are white boxes in the rooms, those are pre-fabricated bathrooms that they just slide into place. And I mean completely done, all the plumbing, electrical, paint, tile, finishes are in it, they just hook it up. I thought it was a pretty cool idea, but my buddy said they have been nothing but a pain. The rooms are painfully small, I really don't see how they plan to fit full beds in these rooms, but what do I know.

:blink:  gotta love how far along construction efficiency has come.

Archived