SREE Springhill Suites Hotel and Center City Green

uptownliving

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, jednc said:

I'm not writing this to be contrary, and I may be the only one who feels this way, but I do not like the design of this building very much at all. It looks very 1990s to my untrained eye. I like the idea of it and I like how they squeezed it into a small space. But, those maroon panels and the completely flat wall facing the light rail line are just unattractive to me. Even the white box attached to the side of the building facing 5th St. (I think it's 5th) didn't translate all that well from the plans.

I guess all this boils down to opinion and I can accept that mine is just wrong...but, am I the only one who doesn't love the look of this?

As it finishes, I tend to agree, I feel like the added dimension and texture the balcony's gave the building in the rendering was an unnecessary VE. I love the way the building comes to a point, and I love the amount of land it takes up, the building... meh. I've seen better. 

Put me in the "admire" category for this. I was always interested in how the site would work and they delivered. It is a hotel not an office so some exterior interest to set apart from downtown office buildings is acceptable. It has rail tracks right at the very front door. Side door also. Rooms have limited view, I am sure, but the site gives and the site takes away.

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I love this new hotel Charlotte's Flatiron building. From all angles today. What is the space at the top  level event space? Not a bar or restaurant right? Congratulations to the SREE Inc on a great job. 

DSCN1187.JPG

DSCN1188.JPG

DSCN1189.JPG

DSCN1196.JPG

DSCN1198.JPG

Yep they hit it out of the park with this one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
12 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Interesting.....a Nike House of Hoops is opening in the empty retail space in the parking deck.

I'm guessing it's just a pop up for the NBA All-star game.  Anyone have more info?

I'm doing a project for them, so I'll see if I can get an answer.

6 hours ago, atlrvr said:

Interesting.....a Nike House of Hoops is opening in the empty retail space in the parking deck.

I'm guessing it's just a pop up for the NBA All-star game.  Anyone have more info?

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/foot-locker--nike-celebrate-the-return-of-basketball-with-two-elevated-experiences-kicking-off-in-la-300734483.html

Sounds like it. Would be nice if it were permanent, that is the type of retail Uptown needs. 

On 1/1/2019 at 5:24 PM, BullDurhamer said:

the rectangles...so bad.

And it's coloring is weird. I think the colors look very eighties. I just don't get what people like about the architecture of this building. I certainly appreciate the infill, the way they fit a building on a small parcel, and I like the lighting (or at least that it has a lighting feature of some sort, maybe not exactly what it has). To each his own though. LU doesn't bother me and I know some really hate it.

17 minutes ago, jednc said:

And it's coloring is weird. I think the colors look very eighties. I just don't get what people like about the architecture of this building. I certainly appreciate the infill, the way they fit a building on a small parcel, and I like the lighting (or at least that it has a lighting feature of some sort, maybe not exactly what it has). To each his own though. LU doesn't bother me and I know some really hate it.

For me...it's a mix of unique shapes, colors and glass.  I like how it looks like it doesn't belong in Uptown compared to recent architecture we have seen in Uptown. 

Archived