SREE Springhill Suites Hotel and Center City Green

uptownliving

One of the best studies in the world is right on our doorsteps. Look at Marta and the DC Metro.

Interesting comparison...but this thread is about a parking deck...and even in transit friendly DC parking decks are not banned. Personally I find DC a lot more easy to drive around in than Atlanta....mainly because of the grid street network and it is more organized and easy to figure out than Atlanta's streets.

DC never stopped building parking decks...so Washington DC seems to be an example of a city that refutes your premise....that parking decks should be banned.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...DC never stopped building parking decks...so Washington DC seems to be an example of a city that refutes your premise....that parking decks should be banned.
There is no comparison in the parking decks of ATL vs DC and it is easier to drive in DC because as I said above, building for cars begats more cars. You miss the point completely. However, you obviously feel the building of parking decks is compatible with attempts to build a multibillion dollar transit system and we disagree on this. I stand by what I said and we will see who is correct 5, 10, 15 years from now when there isn't any additional transit built here in Charlotte.

And I guess my point its not an either or proposition. Cars will be an important part of the rest of every one of our lives unless we perhaps move to Zermat, Switzerland or a tropical island.

The point is, this office building will create space for 2,800 new jobs. Assuming demand rebounds over time and the space is maxed so that there are 2,800 new workers downtown, this provides a net parking shortage of 1,600 parking spaces (2,800 jobs minus 1,200 spaces, actually a greater shortage since some surface lots were removed to build the deck). Options for these new downtown workers are find an existing parking space further from the building, live downtown and walk, live close in to town and ride a bike, carpool, or ride transit.

Ultimately as the city is built out and all surface lots are exhausted, the net impact will be increases in transit or a lot more people living downtown.

The point is, this office building will create space for 2,800 new jobs. Assuming demand rebounds over time and the space is maxed so that there are 2,800 new workers downtown, this provides a net parking shortage of 1,600 parking spaces (2,800 jobs minus 1,200 spaces, actually a greater shortage since some surface lots were removed to build the deck). Options for these new downtown workers are find an existing parking space further from the building, live downtown and walk, live close in to town and ride a bike, carpool, or ride transit.

Thanks for looking up these stats. Thats why I'm ok with this parking deck....that even after it is built the parking to worker ratio will go down...meaning less parking downtown on a per worker basis....meaning a higher demand for transit.

Ultimately as the city is built out and all surface lots are exhausted, the net impact will be increases in transit or a lot more people living downtown.

OK fair enough. Given the present rate of consumption of parking space, I suspect we might see that day around 2050 or so. Maybe that generation might have a different take on it. I can't speak for what goes on on tropical islands and/or Switzerland. But I will tell you this country is littered with transit plans that never happened because the city in question never caught the connection between making driving inconvenient and building transit lines.
Assuming demand rebounds over time and the space is maxed so that there are 2,800 new workers downtown, this provides a net parking shortage of 1,600 parking spaces (2,800 jobs minus 1,200 spaces, actually a greater shortage since some surface lots were removed to build the deck).
But that assumes 100% utilization of the building and 100% single person auto usage. What is typical?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone know what this will look like? I assume that the design will be different since the condos are not being built at this time. Are there still supposed to be stores in this project or is it just a garage now?

It looks to be consistent with the concept drawings. Also, the condos are still planned, just were delayed, so that wouldn't effect the design of this.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I assumed that the condos would be built two or three years from now and that therefore, the site would not be built in full at the present time.

How many stories of condos are supposed to be eventually added on top of the garage? Is the eventual plan for this to remain as a mid-rise or evolve into a high rise? I would imagine due to the allocation of parking spaces for the new BofA building in the garage portion, there may be a limit to how much resident parking would be allowed which may cap the height.

How many stories of condos are supposed to be eventually added on top of the garage? Is the eventual plan for this to remain as a mid-rise or evolve into a high rise? I would imagine due to the allocation of parking spaces for the new BofA building in the garage portion, there may be a limit to how much resident parking would be allowed which may cap the height.

It won't be any higher than the twelve floors planned now. The condo portion is supposed to be adjacent and connected to the parking deck. Looking above in the thread at the second photo by krazeeboi, the condo portion would be be between the street and the parking deck, its back against the light rail line.

The condos are not to be built on top, but built on the sliver of land that is not occupied by the parking deck. The Condos will be built along the lightrail, and it'll make the building sort of an L shape. The condo portion is triangular looking from the sky and will go to about halfway on the car ramp. There'll be 88 condos in total in 12 stories, they'll all be cheap 1 bedrooms, starting at 150,000.

ccg_color_rendering_2_rsu9.bmp

condos are the building on the left.

On another note the website for this project is no longer up...

ccg_color_rendering_2_rsu9.bmp

condos are the building on the left.

I like the facade of this deck a lot; despite the fact that the core of the building is one big, concrete square, the facade has many breaks and elevation changes - making it feel more organic. I love round buildings, so the round ramp really makes me happy, but the glass panels above (what I assume to be) the entrance to the green market extend several floors above the doors - albeit over the parking garage - but from the street, it will look like so much more.

Does anyone know what the floor plan is for the bottom level? Where are the entrances, whats the footprint of the green market, will there be pedestrian access from 6th St or LYNX pathway?

I like the facade of this deck a lot; despite the fact that the core of the building is one big, concrete square, the facade has many breaks and elevation changes - making it feel more organic. I love round buildings, so the round ramp really makes me happy, but the glass panels above (what I assume to be) the entrance to the green market extend several floors above the doors - albeit over the parking garage - but from the street, it will look like so much more.

Does anyone know what the floor plan is for the bottom level? Where are the entrances, whats the footprint of the green market, will there be pedestrian access from 6th St or LYNX pathway?

Well this is what confuses me, The green market is planned to be the bottom floor of the condos. And as of now we have no condos, so I wonder if they'll build the first floor of the condo structure for the green market or wait til the condos sell. Hopefully they'll go ahead and build it. With that said the green market will butt up to the light rail and will have pedestrian access, and on the other side of the building will have space outside for outdoor market, events, and anything else they want. In addition, The parking deck will have two restaurants on the brevard side.

Well this is what confuses me, The green market is planned to be the bottom floor of the condos. And as of now we have no condos, so I wonder if they'll build the first floor of the condo structure for the green market or wait til the condos sell. Hopefully they'll go ahead and build it. With that said the green market will butt up to the light rail and will have pedestrian access, and on the other side of the building will have space outside for outdoor market, events, and anything else they want. In addition, The parking deck will have two restaurants on the brevard side.

Oh, hmm... I like this less now. Those restaurant spaces are going to end up vacant for a while I bet. At least I hope not

And 6th St? Are we going to have a solemn of backsides of buildings right before the LYNX crossing (backside of Imaginon, backside of this?)

To be perfectly honest, I feel like since they were aiming for the $150k price point, they should have gone ahead and built these up. Look at what happened with other condos that recently hit the market around that price. They had little issue at The Citadin with $100k units with a less desirable (IMO) location. I think these would have sold rather quickly in all honesty if they had put them up on the market. My realtor could barely find any information on them, so BoA wasn't trying very hard apparently.

To be perfectly honest, I feel like since they were aiming for the $150k price point, they should have gone ahead and built these up. Look at what happened with other condos that recently hit the market around that price. They had little issue at The Citadin with $100k units with a less desirable (IMO) location. I think these would have sold rather quickly in all honesty if they had put them up on the market. My realtor could barely find any information on them, so BoA wasn't trying very hard apparently.

Those units were old units just near where the Citadin were suppose to be for 100k. If you look at the next lowest mass price point, it is/was Catalyst at around 170/180k, which we know how that all went. I'm thinking they would still have trouble selling these, but I think they should have still built these out and let BofA hold whatever doesnt sell until the market improves, that is unless it improves by the time these would have been completed. I also want to express that I wish the emphasis of this project was on the condos and green market and restraunts instead of the parking structure. It would have been desireable to make the parking underground partially or less aparent in return for the retail and condos.

You know, the Planning Dept is doing a really crappy job of making Brevard St the "retail corridor" that they planned for.

Archived