SREE Springhill Suites Hotel and Center City Green

uptownliving

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I still can't get over the potential retail "corridor" that could have been created along this part of the light-rail line. Would it really be that cost prohibitive to have commercial space on the bottom level of all the decks facing the LRT?

The Urban Market will front the LRT, I swear this was posted before.

• 2 weeks later...

This may not be the appropriate place for this, but when I was hunting around I saw this:

http://www.lincolnharris.com/Properties/images/IMG132.jpg

Is this old news? It is titled 310 East Trade Street.

310 East Trade is the address of the existing Charlotte Transit Center. The property is labeled as "Transit Center" on the Lincoln Harris website - http://www.lincolnharris.com/Properties/Pr...ls.aspx?KEY=132. I am a bit confused.

Why would the transit center be completely redeveloped?

That picture is actually a property that lincoln harris owns in winston salem. I think it is just saying there is 16,000 sq feet available at the transit center for whatever purpose.

Maybe I'm misreading it, but there's only 2400 sq feet available. The CTC has several small shops, restaurants, and kiosks inside. I haven't been in those portions in a while, but I assume one of the stores/kiosks is available.

I know BofA space is vacant since they moved to Epicenter

6th Street is probably going to suck... though it looks to me like there might be some room for a couple of small retail spots. Its hard to say. It's all about 5th St with this thing though, which IMO is going to be unattractive until the condos are built.

yeah its disappointing...does this thing have THREE vehicle entrances? it looks like there's retail space at LRT & 6th, and along the Brevard st. side but i think the only entrance to that is on 5th.

which part of Brevard was intended to be developed into a "stroll district"? because this ain't it. it would be acceptable if those 2 blocks on the other side of Brevard are developed thoughtfully, but i won't hold my breath for that.

I find the parking garages somewhat ironic right near the rail line. I think they are really missing a great opportunity in this part of the city. Even if there are still parking garages, they could have incorporated street level retail, such as Reids and Brixx, along the light rail line. Imagine if the sidewalks along the light rail were lined with street level retail/restaurants. It could have been a little stroll district with the trains in the middle. Instead it's parking garages and blank walls. Oh well, this project isn't finished yet so we'll see what happens and I'm still disappointed about the condo situation. I think they could have pulled those off.

I find the parking garages somewhat ironic right near the rail line. I think they are really missing a great opportunity in this part of the city. Even if there are still parking garages, they could have incorporated street level retail, such as Reids and Brixx, along the light rail line. Imagine if the sidewalks along the light rail were lined with street level retail/restaurants. It could have been a little stroll district with the trains in the middle. Instead it's parking garages and blank walls. Oh well, this project isn't finished yet so we'll see what happens and I'm still disappointed about the condo situation. I think they could have pulled those off.

This has been said countless times, and yet nobody seems to get it, there is retail planned facing the light rail!

Dude, there are still 8 levels of parking above it. The retail facing the tracks is great (aka: better than nothing), but it doesn't matter what the ground level is when there is so much parking adjacent to a train station. You don't see this in large cities, but because BOA is involved its somehow ok in Charlotte. What's worse is that there is a freaking ped tube over the tracks so that the BOA employees don't have to intermingle with the commoners. Charlotte is capable of better.

Dude, there are still 8 levels of parking above it. The retail facing the tracks is great (aka: better than nothing), but it doesn't matter what the ground level is when there is so much parking adjacent to a train station. You don't see this in large cities, but because BOA is involved its somehow ok in Charlotte. What's worse is that there is a freaking ped tube over the tracks so that the BOA employees don't have to intermingle with the commoners. Charlotte is capable of better.

I agree with you 100%, I'm just correcting a mistake that keeps finding its way to the pages of this thread. Every page someone is getting mad about the lack of retail, when it will be there. An urban market that is currently seasonal, is going to have a new home (and thousands of sq feet) 365 days a year. Not to mention a couple restaurants, to bring some activity to that side of the light rail. I agree there should not be parking here. Hopefully one day the Lynx will be so successful that these parking lots can be Demo'd for multiuse. Right now the infrastructure is just not there to support a city that doesn't completely rely on the automobile, yes we are making great strides toward reaching this, but in reality there are still thousands of people who work in downtown charlotte that come from the east, north and west and need to park. Once we get some more lines built, maybe these parking structures will become obsolete. As you know Spartan, I am very ANTICAR, I have only driven 3 times in 1 year, and as much as I'd love to discount the need, its sadly still there. While it saddens me that these garages exist, I'm just happy we are doing something better with our parking garages than most american cities.

I agree with you 100%, I'm just correcting a mistake that keeps finding its way to the pages of this thread. Every page someone is getting mad about the lack of retail, when it will be there. An urban market that is currently seasonal, is going to have a new home (and thousands of sq feet) 365 days a year. Not to mention a couple restaurants, to bring some activity to that side of the light rail. I agree there should not be parking here. Hopefully one day the Lynx will be so successful that these parking lots can be Demo'd for multiuse. Right now the infrastructure is just not there to support a city that doesn't completely rely on the automobile, yes we are making great strides toward reaching this, but in reality there are still thousands of people who work in downtown charlotte that come from the east, north and west and need to park. Once we get some more lines built, maybe these parking structures will become obsolete. As you know Spartan, I am very ANTICAR, I have only driven 3 times in 1 year, and as much as I'd love to discount the need, its sadly still there. While it saddens me that these garages exist, I'm just happy we are doing something better with our parking garages than most american cities.

Two other things to mention are that it is located directly across from TWC Arena, and that it is built to support a structure on top of it. Codes demand that parking is available to support new construction, and whether that garage tops out with a hotel, office building, or condominium is inconsequential, it will need associated parking. The major pedestrian traffic around this building will be on Brevard, Fifth, and the rail line. All three of those areas will have ground level access.

DMann

Archived