SREE Springhill Suites Hotel and Center City Green

uptownliving

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

When I was walking over to the arena last night for the Bobcats game, I noticed that the plaza area had a "For Sale" sign up for that plot of land. Interestingly enough, it referenced that it was for "hotel" use. Anyone have info on what may be going on here? Wouldn't the developers have to file a rezoning petition if they decide to build a hotel here?

When I was walking over to the arena last night for the Bobcats game, I noticed that the plaza area had a "For Sale" sign up for that plot of land. Interestingly enough, it referenced that it was for "hotel" use. Anyone have info on what may be going on here? Wouldn't the developers have to file a rezoning petition if they decide to build a hotel here?

No need for rezoning, based on the fact this was originally condos and parking, I believe its already UMUD designated for mixed use and high rise development.

Isn't this land needed for the non-revenue track connection for Streetcar?

Isn't this land needed for the non-revenue track connection for Streetcar?

Yes, I recall a condition of the original zoning that preserved the land for mass transit for seven years based on the expectation the MTC would have made the SE corridor modal decision within seven years of the original zoning. It seems the streetcar use would also invoke the mass transit use.

They don't need all the land, or there was to be some easement preserved that new development has to accomodate. The plans for the condo building that didn't happen came after this agreement was made. There is no reason that a apartment or hotel couldn't be built on this site and still allow for a rail connection.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

3.  One more project I just saw a pre-meeting about.  The left over land at 5th/LRT line attached to the Center City Green parking deck.  Only details at this point is that SREE hotels is the applicant, no new parking (will use the attached deck), but a drop-off will come off of 5th St.

SREE is a charlotte based hotel developer that proposed the Hotel Indigo in South Park (on Park South Dr) that died due to community opposition.  Would like to see that brand open here.  I still suspect that Four Points by Shetaron and Hotel Indigo are both looking at uptown, and if those are the two brands that take this site and the Knights Stadium site, I wouldn't be surprised. 

3.  One more project I just saw a pre-meeting about.  The left over land at 5th/LRT line attached to the Center City Green parking deck.  Only details at this point is that SREE hotels is the applicant, no new parking (will use the attached deck), but a drop-off will come off of 5th St.

SREE is a charlotte based hotel developer that proposed the Hotel Indigo in South Park (on Park South Dr) that died due to community opposition.  Would like to see that brand open here.  I still suspect that Four Points by Shetaron and Hotel Indigo are both looking at uptown, and if those are the two brands that take this site and the Knights Stadium site, I wouldn't be surprised. 

There's a sign at this site now that says something to the effect of "Hotel site build to suit". It'll be interesting to see the plans for the hotel because that's a pretty small piece of property to work with. I'm guessing it would have some height on it.

There's a sign at this site now that says something to the effect of "Hotel site build to suit". It'll be interesting to see the plans for the hotel because that's a pretty small piece of property to work with. I'm guessing it would have some height on it.

938-0416smithcol.standalone.prod_affilia

Just a reminder to everyone what the original proposal was. 

12 floors with 88 Studio and 1 bedroom units. 

With this in mind. To make a 150-200 key hotel you would need 12-15 floors, I would think.

That would look pretty good, especially with a big bright neon sign on top announcing the hotel name/brand.

Given that the company planning this has ~ 20-25 hotels, and hotel financing is actually the 2nd easiest thing to get now after apartments, I see this pretty likely to move forward.

Three new hotels planned should add over 400 rooms (Embassy Suites, Knights parcel, Center City Green).

ALSO...The Hilton across from the convention center is looking at adding a 7-8 story parking deck with ~300 additional parking spaces.  This would go on the surface lot along MLK between the LRT line and current hote/1 Wells Fargo tower.  For a long time, they had planned a 2nd hotel tower on this site, I wonder (expect) if they will build it with the plans of adding more hotel rooms above it in the future.  The current hotel is 400 rooms, so I doubt they would expand it by another 600 rooms to be the 1,000 room monster hotel the CRVA desires, but I'm not sure if they added another 200-300 rooms that two 700-room hotels on either side of the convetion center, plus another 1,000 or so within 1-2 blocks isn't enough.   

• 3 months later...

Anyone hear any rumblings regarding the potential of an office building going up on "The Green" parking deck by TWC Arena?  I think Lincoln Harris built that building with the intent of putting an office building on top of it.  With the CCCP discussion of a developer wanting the city to pony up for parking to construct a building this seems pretty natural.  Similar to the Portman Property that already sits on parking, plus adjacent to the LYNX Rail Line?

Anyone hear any rumblings regarding the potential of an office building going up on "The Green" parking deck by TWC Arena?  I think Lincoln Harris built that building with the intent of putting an office building on top of it.  With the CCCP discussion of a developer wanting the city to pony up for parking to construct a building this seems pretty natural.  Similar to the Portman Property that already sits on parking, plus adjacent to the LYNX Rail Line?

That Parking Deck wasn't built to accommodate an office tower. However there were some pretty solid rumors that a boutiquey hotel will be built on the leftover land from the Center City Green Condos.

SREE Hotels is still planning a hotel on this site.

To clarify, this would be the adjacent undeveloped parcel.  I think the conclusion was the parking deck could not accomodate an additional structure, but I'm not positive.

SREE Hotels is still planning a hotel on this site.

To clarify, this would be the adjacent undeveloped parcel.  I think the conclusion was the parking deck could not accomodate an additional structure, but I'm not positive.

I looked for the original thread but could not find it. My recollection is that it could support 25 stories.

Oops, I saw the RDF21 had posted almost exactly what I said. 

I remember that was the original plan (being able to support an office tower) but it might have been based on the ULI land use recommendation for the two "pork chop" parcels. The news releases when the final design came out all made no mention of a tower, other than the adjacent condos (that weren't built but is now slated for a hotel). 

I think the conclusion that no building on top of the deck was reached when it appeared they didn't include sufficient elevator or fire-stairs for additional square footage.

Archived