SREE Springhill Suites Hotel and Center City Green

uptownliving

What sort of height is expected for a 200 room hotel on 1/3 of an acre without parking?  Any rumors of a brand?

Hyatt House is 164 on probably a 1/3 (edit) 0.41acre at about 11-12 floors (on top of 6 parking). This will be an odd shaped triangle with 200 units, so maybe 12-15 floors on top of a lobby/retail?

Edit: Some more info. 

Architect: http://www.therbagroup.com/

Civil Engineer/Land Planner: http://www.isaacsgrp.com/

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

would think that's 12-14 stories....based on SREE's current portfolio, it seems the primary hotel they operate that is not in Uptown is Farifield Inn.

I think the two brands that would work the best are Hotel Indigo and Four Points by Sheraton.  I'm betting it's one of the three I mentioned, but have no insite.

I'm really hoping for some sort of quirky design based on the shape of the plot. Maybe a modern take on the Flatiron style? /-:

But I've been disappointed before.

I advise to most certainly not get your hopes up. While SREE does have SOME inspiring designs, like Westin National Harbor, the Architects most inspiring design is an audi dealership and a bloom grocery store. Their Hotel portfolio is not the strongest. Maybe thats based on opportunity, and not skill, we shall see.

I advise to most certainly not get your hopes up. While SREE does have SOME inspiring designs, like Westin National Harbor, the Architects most inspiring design is an audi dealership and a bloom grocery store. Their Hotel portfolio is not the strongest. Maybe thats based on opportunity, and not skill, we shall see.

Yeah I know.  I'd like to believe it'll be something great, but it'll most likely end up looking like a Holiday Inn Express in Alpharetta.

Yeah I know.  I'd like to believe it'll be something great, but it'll most likely end up looking like a Holiday Inn Express in Alpharetta.

Nah, I actually Think it will end up looking very interesting, based solely on the fact that some creative engineering will have to take place to fit 200 units on a 1/3 of an acre wedge. It'll be interesting for sure, but that doesn't mean it won't be butt ugly. I have hopes for something between Aloft (Terrible) and Ritz (great) in quality. I am praying for Glass but am expecting Multiple shades of Earthtone colored EIFS, small windows and some weird top.

I actually forgot that the round ramps took up so much space on that.   If this project was more ambitious, it could be a pencil tower.   It is really the one plot of land that I would not have expected to be a priority compared to so many other areas in First Ward.   It says a lot, though, that they want to be in the heart of things near the arena and BofA Corporate that they would opt to go to that small parcel over the larger ones.

I would love to see a 12-14 story Hotel Indigo there!  

My Money is on Indigo. SREE proposed a Indigo on Park South that did not go through. I would THINK that this is Indigo 2.0.

With the circular parking deck ramp, they could very likely make a building with floorplans in the shape of their shell logo (not exact, but roughly).

Wouldn't that be cool!!!!

• 6 months later...

From today's CBJ:

Blackstone Group LP has purchased four airport-area hotels from Charlotte hotel company SREE Hotels for $72.7 million.

The most recent of the four purchases closed this month, when the investment firm purchased the Courtyard Charlotte Airport on Little Rock Road for $24.5 million. Last month, Blackstone bought the Hilton Charlotte Executive Park, near the intersection of Tyvola Road and Interstate 77, for $16.1 million.

In October, the firm purchased the Courtyard Charlotte Billy Graham Parkway on West Woodlawn Road for $21.5 million and the SpringHill Suites Charlotte Airport on Scott Futrell Drive for $10.6 million

A Blackstone representative and Vinay Patel, CEO of SREE Hotels, did not respond to requests for comment.

This morning, Blackstone reported fourth-quarter economic net income of $1.54 billion, up from $670 million a year earlier. Economic income from real estate in the quarter grew to $932 million from $246 million a year earlier.

Last year, SREE  purchased a small uptown tract next to the Center City Green parking development, where it plans to build a hotel with 150 to 200 rooms.

Salivating a little, this is an odd tract, putting a building there, pencil thin as it would be, would be awesome, being across the street from the arena, entire bottom floor, bar/restaurant a no brainer IMO.

Salivating a little, this is an odd tract, putting a building there, pencil thin as it would be, would be awesome, being across the street from the arena, entire bottom floor, bar/restaurant a no brainer IMO.

There are actually a couple of retail spots in the parking deck already and the original rezoning included a large amount of retail in the residential building, so we will see if that occurs for the hotel.

Edit: I didn't realize this but Center City Green Parking Deck has 12,000 square feet of leasable Retail space just sitting empty, no wonder no one wants to build retail.

There are actually a couple of retail spots in the parking deck already and the original rezoning included a large amount of retail in the residential building, so we will see if that occurs for the hotel.

Edit: I didn't realize this but Center City Green Parking Deck has 12,000 square feet of leasable Retail space just sitting empty, no wonder no one wants to build retail.

It does face the vast emptiness of no man's land (Levineburgh).  That could have something to do with it.

It does face the vast emptiness of no man's land (Levineburgh).  That could have something to do with it.

Well the 100 apartments that were supposed to be built there would have probably helped. OH! and also the recession... That was a thing... I think?

Archived