SREE Springhill Suites Hotel and Center City Green

uptownliving

It does face the vast emptiness of no man's land (Levineburgh).  That could have something to do with it.

Yea, to me that was always the biggest deterrent with that retail space. It's in a parking deck with nothing around it, other than TWC Arena. I always thought if something were developed (i.e. residential/hotel) either on Green or in that parking lot across from it, that it would fill up. Or god forbid Levine ever got off his arse and did something. It's sat empty for what 3-4 years now? Obviously they aren't hurting too much from parking revenue. Hopefully once this SREE hotel gets going there is some traction there. I'd like to see something like a World of Beer type spot... 

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A little more hotel related, I think it was atlrvr that predicted Hotel Indigo would be a prime candidate for this location. Here is the one that is set to be built in Austin: http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/blog/real-estate/2014/01/red-river-street-hotel-to-begin-work-soon.html

Obviously this footprint wouldn't work in this plot of land, but I actually like the design. Not earth shattering, but it's different. It would be a good infill in 3rd Ward. Too bad "The Mint" couldn't take on something a little more radical.

It does face the vast emptiness of no man's land (Levineburgh).  That could have something to do with it.

Levineburgh and Levinetown implies people being there, it's more like Levinechasm. 

I don't know much about Hotel Indigo, but from the little googling I have done seems like a good brand (and possibly the color you get when you mix teal with purple :dontknow: )     I remember thinking how tiny the Hotel Sierra plot of land was before it was developed, but now the building seems very typical.  I guess the scale of the surrounding buildings makes the parcels seem tiny.  This being triangular won't have the same floorplates as Hotel Sierra, but hotels are often easy to squeeze into these smaller lots and build more pencil-like, which would be great to get a little bit of height poking up there.  All 3 sides should have decent views of other towers, plus an unlocked view of the eventual park to the north in First Ward.

Indigo is Hilton's answer to Aloft (Starwood) and Hyatt Place (Hyatt's hipster brand)... Having 3 of these hipster hotels walking distance from the Arena is not a bad thing

apologies for nitpicking but:

Indigo is an IHG brand (i.e. Holiday Inn)

Hyatt Place is really not intended to be a hipster brand, its more of a suburban Hampton Inn equivalent. The midrise configuration for our downtown Hyatt Place is unusual, and the rooms are (IMO) kinda suburban dowdy rather than hip.

Hyatt does not really have a hipster brand (the equivalent of Aloft or Indigo), although the Hyatt House beside the arena is a pretty good model for them to build on (it was originally a Hotel Sierra). (most Hyatt Houses are also suburban blah)

• 3 weeks later...

Someone I know who sold it to him at Spectrum

Agreed, but I've been holding out hope for a couple bars related to events (mainly the hornets) close to the arena..

I had been hoping for some sort of unique bar too...Oh well. Better than another sushi restaurant I suppose.

• 4 months later...

SREE bought the land already, so I assume they do plan to move forward.  Possibly wanting to coordinate starting construction after the street-car alignment is finished, since it might be difficult to construct at the same time.  Not sure.  The financing environment should be pretty strong right now assuming they get a limited-service national chain signed up.

SREE bought the land already, so I assume they do plan to move forward.  Possibly wanting to coordinate starting construction after the street-car alignment is finished, since it might be difficult to construct at the same time.  Not sure.  The financing environment should be pretty strong right now assuming they get a limited-service national chain signed up.

Its these small parcel projects that i'm most interested in. I hope this is at least somewhat interesting. I've been digging for renderings for months… I know that the Architect is RBA Group, which makes me a bit squeamish, since they are known for suburban multifamily and hotels, barf.  

Edit: I've been looking at the wrong RBA Group. 

Apparently that really cool new restaurant Essex Bar was designed by them, which gives me a little more hope for this project.

Does anyone have any idea how this building will be shaped? Will it butt up against the curve of the garage ramp or will there be a gap between the two structures? I am also a little excited about this one because the lot is pretty small and oddly shaped. Really hoping this one comes out looking unique.

I dunno how much hope you should have, that project seems pretty dead in the water too...was supposed to have a summer opening  :dontknow:

Actually its very much alive. The interest sparked the building owners to come up with a plan of their own to refurb the entire bottom 2 floors of the building and turn it into restaurant and retail space. 

Actually its very much alive. The interest sparked the building owners to come up with a plan of their own to refurb the entire bottom 2 floors of the building and turn it into restaurant and retail space. 

Well, that is true....I guess I just mean we haven't heard anything about it since it was announced and it was supposed to be long under construction

Well, that is true....I guess I just mean we haven't heard anything about it since it was announced and it was supposed to be long under construction

lol, lets be honest though. That project was announced in February, the submittal meeting was in March. This was a project unique to pretty much anywhere.  You would be hard pressed to find a project in any city in the world that was built over the foundation of a fountain. I'm sure submittal and permitting would be a challenge, because of lack of precedent. So them ever expecting a Summer opening would have been ludicrous. I don't think manufactured homes for trailer parks have that short of timeline. 

lol, lets be honest though. That project was announced in February, the submittal meeting was in March. This was a project unique to pretty much anywhere.  You would be hard pressed to find a project in any city in the world that was built over the foundation of a fountain. I'm sure submittal and permitting would be a challenge, because of lack of precedent. So them ever expecting a Summer opening would have been ludicrous. I don't think manufactured homes for trailer parks have that short of timeline. 

Maybe they meant summer of 2015  :whistling:  :good:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived