SREE Springhill Suites Hotel and Center City Green

uptownliving

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I can't see how a hotel is going to fit on this plot of land. The streetcar maintenance tracks take up quite a bit of the "green space", and there would be no way to access the hotel from 5th street. Are we sure the hotel cant be built on top of the garage??

The spot where Hyatt House Looked to small for a tower. We called it - before we saw renderings - the "Pencil tower" expecting it to look very very skinny. Turned out to be quite stout & boxy.

Agreed.  We're just used to mega-block developments and towers in Charlotte.  As more and more space runs out, we're going to see a more diverse mix of building concepts.  Right now we just have the "luxury" of having huge, open swaths of parking lots to throw long, rectangular buildings on.  Things will change as flat land in uptown dries out.

I was walking around here last weekend and thought the exact same thing. I always assumed that the triangular plot of grass would pretty much be the boundaries for the hotel tower, but the tracks are literally ten feet (probably less) from the corner of the grass that is nearest to the intersection of 5th and the blue line. I am extremely interested to see how all these different components are going to interact with each other. The hotel, streetcar, and the curvature of the garage ramp are going to have to do some sort of architectural dance so to speak. I don't see how they are going to be able to put more than a small handful of rooms per floor.

I was walking around here last weekend and thought the exact same thing. I always assumed that the triangular plot of grass would pretty much be the boundaries for the hotel tower, but the tracks are literally ten feet (probably less) from the corner of the grass that is nearest to the intersection of 5th and the blue line. I am extremely interested to see how all these different components are going to interact with each other. The hotel, streetcar, and the curvature of the garage ramp are going to have to do some sort of architectural dance so to speak. I don't see how they are going to be able to put more than a small handful of rooms per floor.

Based on the amount of rooms in the hotel they'd only need about 15 rooms per floor. At 200 sq feet per room plus a elevator and central hallway, that's only 3500 square feet.

Anyone think that the hotel might move towards Brevard and in front of the circular ramp?  Keep in mind they will need meeting rooms etc.  Also, the tracks will not be in use on a regular basis, so there will not be continuous activity.  Further, I think the construction of that site will spur on the development of a restaurant in the empty space spanning 5th & 6th on Brevard.

Anyone think that the hotel might move towards Brevard and in front of the circular ramp?  Keep in mind they will need meeting rooms etc.  Also, the tracks will not be in use on a regular basis, so there will not be continuous activity.  Further, I think the construction of that site will spur on the development of a restaurant in the empty space spanning 5th & 6th on Brevard.

243-0416smithcol.embedded.prod_affiliate

I think it'll be very similar to the original proposal, only 5-7 floors taller. i added an extra 500 sq feet per floor to accommodate hotel amenities and various essentials. As far as retail goes, I hope to see retail in the hotel, and I expect once Levine starts actually doing some work, and once the new Springhill Suites opens we will see these spaces get occupied.

243-0416smithcol.embedded.prod_affiliate

I think it'll be very similar to the original proposal, only 5-7 floors taller. i added an extra 500 sq feet per floor to accommodate hotel amenities and various essentials. As far as retail goes, I hope to see retail in the hotel, and I expect once Levine starts actually doing some work, and once the new Springhill Suites opens we will see these spaces get occupied.

you are probably right, but that rendering does not allow for the streetcar return

• 2 months later...

Having trouble attaching image, but color rendering now available on approved plans on the Land Use Accela site.

It is definitely unique for Charlotte.  Very "Seattle" looking.  I like it a lot!

It will be 17 stories, and 179' in heigt. (the existing garage is 145')

It looks like there could be a small retail space right at the corner, with an entrance off the rail trail.

Great looking hotel... Though, I'm still having a hard time visualizing this thing on that plot of land. I walk by it a lot (from Queen City Q to TWCA) and it just seems like such a small space to work with. I prefer this over the AC Hotel/Residence Inn tower above Epicentre. At least from the one visual we've seen..

Archived