SREE Springhill Suites Hotel and Center City Green

uptownliving

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clever that they are using sunset colors to spice up what will be simple glass in real life.   Bringing 'technicolor renderings' to a new level.

I do like the design, and is amazing for such a small infill parcel.   Maybe the other city-owned arena block should be sold off in 1/4 acre lots. 

Now that I am back in NY and I have access to a computer. Its amazing just how small of a footprint this hotel will have. Its also amazing that we will have a hotel the height of court side butting up to the light rail like this. I'd love the light rail to go between a canyon of buildings one day.

Now that I am back in NY and I have access to a computer. Its amazing just how small of a footprint this hotel will have. Its also amazing that we will have a hotel the height of court side butting up to the light rail like this. I'd love the light rail to go between a canyon of buildings one day.

Agreed, I would love that through most of uptown the light rail touches nothing but buildings/development. Hope to see that from one side of 277 to the other some day :)

Right now that is certainly NOT the case.

if i were going to build on that site I would close a lane of 5th street for the duration and use that for crane and material staging. 

CATS won't allow a crane to carry anything over the streetcar tracks. I never heard how they resolved the crane issue, so I'm assuming the staging inside the circular ramps or somehow on top of the deck itself is what will happen.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone think this hoteL will spur any of those empty retail spots in the garage to be taken up??? Would love to see another corridor around here to mingle in.

I've always wanted to see some kind of cheap PBR beer kinda joint (mixed with some local brews) at this garage or in one of the retail spots at TWC Arena. Something along the lines of Small Bar at the Music Factory. I'd imagine the rent would be too high to keep it cheap though. Would be a great pregame place, even though QCQ does a great job there already.. 

• 1 month later...

Building permits look imminent.  Trades were all closed out last week, and comments about fire control fees entered this morning.

I have a lot of favorite projects, but this one is probably #2 after Ascent/Bearden, given the color, the unique wedge shape, the retail facing the LRT trail, height breaking the plane for that area, and helping bridge the urban flow of 5th towards 1st Ward. 

Building the Fed Courthouse with hopefully 4-sided presence, and then the 2nd "porkchop" parcel will be the linchpin development to tie it all together.

Building permits look imminent.  Trades were all closed out last week, and comments about fire control fees entered this morning.

I have a lot of favorite projects, but this one is probably #2 after Ascent/Bearden, given the color, the unique wedge shape, the retail facing the LRT trail, height breaking the plane for that area, and helping bridge the urban flow of 5th towards 1st Ward. 

Building the Fed Courthouse with hopefully 4-sided presence, and then the 2nd "porkchop" parcel will be the linchpin development to tie it all together.

While it's only 180' I do agree the design of this building is absolutely incredible, and I agree that this project is awesome. The logistics of building this seem insane, but it should be great. Any retail/development along the LRT in uptown is okay in my book.

Design for the Fed Courthouse is in the budget for 2015-16, I believe. I hope the Feds release renderings :-).

With this thing being pencil thin I think it will "feel" taller than 180'.

180 sounds very short to me. I'm anxious to see if it ends up being taller. Thats a obscenely low floor height even for a hotel.

Whoops yeah, so its the same floor count as Holiday Inn, but 20 feet shorter, yeah that is a bit weird....low ceilings??? ha.

Looks like each floor is 9'8", is that standard? That seems low

I guess not. If I think about Springhill Suites: Generally the plumbing and electrical is pretty standardized and the HVAC is done in Bulkheads, so there wouldn't need to be as much space between floors. I guess that would leave you with a 8.75' to 9' ceiling, which seems pretty average for a Springhill Suites, I guess...   

The hotel will be 180' tall, not sure how tall the garage is

I think the garage is 110-120 feet. so a good 6-7 floors taller than the deck.

• 2 months later...

Some updates:

Break ground:

Middle of August

16 month construction schedule. WILL be done by all star game.

5000 SF of retail space, now a hotel bar, may outsource to a third party

Rooftop ballroom, holding 350 people.

Renderings we have seen will be the final product. No major design changes have been or plan to be made. Happy about this, it's a great looking hotel.

Archived