SREE Springhill Suites Hotel and Center City Green

uptownliving

I'll take your word for it, but I don't see how its possible that getting to the last station on the line (which is at South & 485) takes longer than driving to downtown, finding a parking spot, and doing all the things you just mentioned there. That still doesn't justify a new parking garage, IMO.

Personally I would rather have a commercial or residential building on that block rather than just a parking deck but I am not seeing how this parking deck is going to entice people not to ride mass transit. The reason this parking deck is being built is for the new 30 story BofA office tower. This tower will bring in about 5000 net new employees for downtown and with this parking deck about 1000 net new parking spaces. So the net effect is that even with this new parking deck there will be less parking available than there is today. If there is going to be less available parking then I don't see how that will negatively affect mass transit. Now if this parking deck were much larger...say in the 3000+ parking space size then I would go along with your statement that it would have a negative effect on mass transit.

But the net effect is that there is still a parking garage next to a transit station in center city. It doesn't matter what the building's going to be or what is there now. The principle of the thing is that you have a garage in a sport where there should not be one- You would never see this in DC, Portland, or what have you. Probably would in Atlanta though. Why can't the parking deck be built on a vacant lot thats a block or two a way from a transit station?

This garage will have ground level retail, probably on all three sides. As money hungry as some think developers are, they will not ignore the opportunity to build retail in high traffic areas.

udut

Thats good to know. At least it has that going for it.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

According to today's CBJ, the rights to this have been sold to BOA for about $8 million. BOA plans to build a $34 million dollar parking deck here with street level retail around the bottom, similar to the 7th street station layout. The city requires several conditions for this, one of them being the structure must be able to support at least 100,000 sq ft of space above it for future use.

BOA can finance the thing in a heart beat, even in tough times, once they want to get rolling on it. Maybe Sierra Hotels will show up interested on this since their hotel seemed to fade away on the corner of the arena.

In my haste to post I left out some key details:

- City planning director must OK the design.

- Part of site is reserved for light rail use for 7 years, city can buy back that portion of site during the 7 years.

- City can use the land until April 30th 2008

- Lincoln Harris is said to be no longer involved in the project (Possible new design / rendering??????)

(Sorry for double posting, but the thread name should be new)

Link to Previous Discussion of this deck : http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/Lincoln-...20&start=20

- Part of site is reserved for light rail use for 7 years, city can buy back that portion of site during the 7 years.

I didn't understand this before and still don't. Does this mean that they have to wait 7 years to build anything on the site and just own the property, or does this mean they can build a structure but it has to have adequate room to run light rail in front of it or through it?

I am assuming they are building this deck because they may loose some of the space in their current deck with the office tower cutting into it, and with the additional office tower they are thinking they will need more space. Sort of disappointed, but expected it. I don't think parking garages should be allowed in TOD developments around light rail stations, unless it is incorporated with a bigger project like an office tower or residential. At least the plans are still on for it being able to support something on top. Maybe, like aLoft did with EpiCentre, we'll see an interest in it quickly and we'll get a small tower out of it, preferably hotel or mixed use.

I didn't understand this before and still don't. Does this mean that they have to wait 7 years to build anything on the site and just own the property, or does this mean they can build a structure but it has to have adequate room to run light rail in front of it or through it?

My understanding of this is that they will get the ROW and a certain about of space (currently valued around $1 million, I'm thinking retail bays) fronting the light rail for whatever they deem fit; Offices, security station, etc. However, I am just taking a stab in the dark.

• 1 month later...

I guess I beat everyone this time. Looks like this project, which Doug announced as his "Next Big Thing" is a BIT different than what has been talked about. Meet Center City Green. The parking is there, but since when did condos join in on this project? Restaurant and a Farmers Market are also part of this project.

The details, as described by the O:

• 12 stories
  • 1,400 parking spaces
  • 88 condos from the $180k's to $280k's (Wahoo on Novare level affordability condos on the light rail!)
  • Farmers Market
  • Restaurant
  • LEED Silver Certification and specifically listed as a "Green Development"
  • $60 million
  • Site is 2 acres
  • Developed by Spectrum Properties

938-0416smithcol.standalone.prod_affiliate.57.jpg

http://www.charlotte.com/485/story/582515.html

Mods- this topic may need to have it's name changed to it's given name "Center City Green"

Personal Opinions:

Wow! I can't believe this is being constructed after what has been talked about on this site as just a large parking garage. The parking is still there, but there is a lot more that makes this development more friendly on the LRT line. They took advantage of it's location right next to the arena, and finally again, we have some more affordable living in uptown along the lines of Catalyst. I am very thrilled with the architecture and design of what has been captured in the artists drawing, also.

I definitely like what I see. It looks like it will be a top-notch mixed-use project and will definitely play its part in adding to the vitality of that general area.

Although the architecture is solid (I specifically like the condo portion), it would have been nice if they could have gotten a bit more experimental.

Hopefully there will be some interesting lighting schemes....that part of town is becoming mid-rise parking deck land. The article made no mention of whether the deck could support a future tower...i.e. office building or hotel. I would think it would be a missed opportunity if not engineered to accomodate a future expansion.

As mentioned, the designs "ok", but they could have gotten away with something edgier, especially for the cladding on the parking side.

88 condos is good, as seeing this area is really lacking any residential...it should put a few more people on the street, though I'm still hoping pork-chop parcel #2 is a bit denser with residential when it finally gets developed.

I like that they are putting a Farmers market in this project... Sounds like a great location. I would be interested to see who the restaurant would be. Given the price of condos (which are very affordable -- nice touch) I'd expect something more middle-tier. Preferably not a chain too.

The thing in the article that really caught my eye was the price range for the condo offerings. Unless I read that wrong, this development will be offering two bedroom condos for $280k, which is MUCH lower than some of the recent projects that have opened uptown. I will be interested to see the floorplans for those condos; at this price point, I expect the layout to be pretty tight.

The parking ramp reminds me of the BB&T deck on College, and that isn't a good thing. The architecture is too busy for my taste but it's certainly better than a plain pre cast deck. I hope they manage to give the farmers market a good vibe in such a new structure. My only question is, how will we ever truly support a transit system when we're still building 1,300 space parking decks?

Archived