SREE Springhill Suites Hotel and Center City Green

uptownliving

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That seems right. It isn't like these will be priced low and be the same size as more expensive condos elsewhere. I know that an underlying point is that the only affordable units uptown are too small to be liveable, but I think that for individuals, these are very reasonable. Many people who are single or downsizing, actually prefer these less expensive and smaller places. There is still a larger cost for building something like this than a tract home, so you are always going to find smaller sizes for the money.

If much of the market for downtown living are childless individuals or couples anyway (divorcees, pre-family people, empty nesters), then these types of units are a perfect fit.

The average home size before WWII, which urban living was much more common, was much smaller than today. There must be some expectation of downsizing to move back into a more urban place.

Who knows, though, there might be some level of subsidy that the parking deck will provide for the condo project, because of the amount of revenue expected at the deck. They might be either giving away that corner of the lot for the condos (because it wouldn't be easy to build the deck there anyway), or using it as a cost of doing business for gaining approval for a deck. I'm not sure what that would look like in reality, but there might be some ways that they will be able to add value for the money (ie. have larger or better units for the price compared to other uptown projects.)

I think that living in that location would be very cool. You'd be a block away from so many useful places, including Epicentre, the LRT, a lot of nightlife (arena, pubs and clubs) and a lot of jobs. I feel pretty confident that this will come to fruition despite the economy.

I thought I read somewhere that the biggest condo would be about 980 sq ft. Can anyone confirm this?

Maybe not the biggest, if they have some reserved penthouses or "special" units, but to my understanding it was described as 560 Sq Ft to 960 Sq Ft, 180k's to the 280k's respectfully.

As for the 10k sq ft being too small, I can't personally measure this up against other markets, but I will add that don't forget they said that there will be a lot of outdoor space for the market, also, which shouldn't be accounted for in the 10k sq ft. Seattle and Philly (which seem to be the two cities to compare to) have much less outdoor friendly weather where they can support outdoor locations, at least through the winter, where Charlotte seems that they would be able to support outdoor location, also, pretty much all year minus a few exceptions.

980 sq ft is plenty of space if it's arranged efficiently. There are a lot of little things like hallways and closets that can be cleverly excluded in order to cut back on wasted floorspace. Currently I live in just over 800 sq ft, but have more than enough space for my family of 3 and 2 dogs (literally more than enough -- there's a spare bedroom we only use when hosting guests). It's all about the efficiency of the floorplan.

980 sq ft is plenty of space if it's arranged efficiently. There are a lot of little things like hallways and closets that can be cleverly excluded in order to cut back on wasted floorspace. Currently I live in just over 800 sq ft, but have more than enough space for my family of 3 and 2 dogs (literally more than enough -- there's a spare bedroom we only use when hosting guests). It's all about the efficiency of the floorplan.

Totally agree. My girlfriend and I have lived in 550 sq ft for three years and it never has been an issue. When my parents and I lived in Germany, we lived in just under 800 sq ft.

10,000 sq ft is a square 100 ft on a side. The average Harris Teeter these days is 50,000 sq ft. so you are talking about the space of 1/5 of one of these stores.

How big is Reid's or the Harris Teeter downtown? I think they are likely much smaller than 50,000 SF but they are intended to be since they are located in an urban setting. From what I've read of this place it isn't intended to be a full service grocer, but a small fresh market.

How big is Reid's or the Harris Teeter downtown? I think they are likely much smaller than 50,000 SF but they are intended to be since they are located in an urban setting. From what I've read of this place it isn't intended to be a full service grocer, but a small fresh market.

HT downtown is around 16-18k, and Reids is a little bit smaller around 14k. To Make a good comparison, the Trader Joes on Rea is 12k. This will be 2k smaller than Trader Joes, seems small, but it will be mostly dedicated to produce and things of the sort. There won't be a frozen foods section, canned foods section, chip isle, soda isle, nothing like that taking up room. Not to mention they plan to have ample outdoor space for the spring and summer months because the Charlotte Green Market plans to use the outdoor space there during the spring time.

Imagine a 10k sq. foot produce section+butcher (hopefully a local wine isle too), and thats what you have, doesn't seem so small anymore does it?

^ Doesn't sound small at all when you put it that way. I would imagine that the market's ability to use its outdoors space will also coincide with the ebb and flow of the growing season, so the times when there is the most available product to sell will also be the times when there is the most available space for vendors.

One other benefit of the market is that it should offer a considerable discount on the price of groceries to be found uptown. Another small step in the right direction for middle-class livability in the center city.

Close to my heart with the LEED certifiction is the indication that Spectrum will have enclosed bicycle lockers ( not racks) & showers !!!

So.... imagine being able to ride your bike to the Center City securely locking up your bike, and then freshing-up before entering the work zone...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if it's new...I hadn't noticed it until today. But the "porkchop" has been fenced off now. And the parking spaces on 6th have been closed off now. It seems like most of the staging that was happening for other projects have been moved away now too. I wonder if this is the beginning of site work.

Wow...this thing flew through the permitting process. Foundation building permits were approved and picked up today. Meanwhile, heavy equipment on the site has been spreading new dirt. Since this is mostly above ground, there shouldn't be much digging/excavating involved.

Wow...this thing flew through the permitting process. Foundation building permits were approved and picked up today. Meanwhile, heavy equipment on the site has been spreading new dirt. Since this is mostly above ground, there shouldn't be much digging/excavating involved.

Wow- that sure is quick. I'm surprised, and the website has even been updated to begin giving details. It's almost like they are going Spec on this whole project.

Wow- that sure is quick. I'm surprised, and the website has even been updated to begin giving details. It's almost like they are going Spec on this whole project.

This certainly fantastic news for the city, it wouldn't surprise me though if the city approved it quick just to show everyone that Charlotte is still a healthy market after we have seen a few projects postponed. Whatever the reason though I am glad to see that empty spot disappear too!

Archived