SREE Springhill Suites Hotel and Center City Green

uptownliving

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was pointed out to me the other day that this project has to be done and occupied before 1 BofA Center is complete. The new tower likely won't be able to get a certificate of occupancy unless this parking deck is completed and available for cars.

How is that so? Is it some kind of binding agreement in the contract?

I just realized the perspective of this in the immediate blocks: 12 stories...taller than 7th St. Station, taller than the BoA deck with the curved metallic wall, and I assume taller than the TWC. Everytime something new is built, it obscures something I am used to seeing in plain sight. Someday maybe the TWC will be obscured on all sides.

Which should really help with the urbanity.....this deck essentially solves 2 urban streets (5th and 6th) by completing the blocks, though the back of Imaginon along 6th is not of the best urban design.

Still, as you mentioned, midrises of this will make the city feel much bigger as it gets rid of clear site lines. Like in Boston, you have to be out on the water, in the middle of the Common, or several miles outside of the city to get a good perspective of the skyline, because there is so much midrise development obscuring views from the city streets.

• 2 weeks later...

The steel framing for the overpass over the LRT track was installed on Monday. One thing that seems confusing to me is that is looks like the ped-bridge will link up I story below where the ped-bridge between the Holiday Inn deck and the BofA Corp Cen deck is. Perhaps it will make more sense once it is completed, but the way I perceive it now, people parking in the new deck will have to take the stairs of elevator up one floor inside the Holiday Inn deck to cross the ped-bridge over 5th to get to the new BofA office tower.

I wonder if condo owners are going to have their own designated parking areas in this garage so they don't have to fight with BoA office workers. I'm actually very disappointed that BoA continues to build these pedestrian bridges. I would think that, now that they are incorporating street-level retail in their projects, they would want to promote more street-level activity.

• 3 weeks later...

Not surprising that the condos are on hold. Oh well, at least we get rid of a surface lot and will be adding some retail.

Aside from the fact that overhead walkways don't help pedestrian activity, I really like this bridge in that it creates a cool effect with the train running beneath. I guess I'm saying its cool visual clutter. :)

So instead of this project being justified on the light rail line by providing mixed-use, they are getting away with scrapping residential and we now have another parking garage on the light rail... OK and a little retail (yes the fresh market is an addition that's being looked forward to). What a disappointment, especially with condos lower than $200k (although that price point has proven to still fail during this economy due to the Catalyst).

I don't blame them for postponing the condos, very understandable, but what they should do instead is make those condos into rental units. I'm from California and the rental market over here is booming. Our economic problems started way before Charlotte's but Charlotte is now in the mist of one, so they should anticipate the rental market booming.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I saw that this weekend. It's a nice visual, but I find connecting one parking deck to another with a walkway rather humorous. I know they're extending the Overstreet... but... why?

Its simple economics. Why would you want pedestrian traffic walking by the retail businesses you're trying to lure in? It would make too much sense.

There is just something a little ironic about a large parking deck with an overstreet connection to another large parking deck that crosses over the light rail. This is turning into parking deck row with 7th St. Station, these two decks, and the deck being incorporated into the new BoA tower.

It's really sad if you ask me. Why bother to ride on the multi-billion dollar light rail system when you can just drive into downtown and conveniently park? It's really sad the city was so shortsighted they allowed this to happen. It's not exactly the way to drive people onto transit.

The city didn't have much to do with it, BofA is building the deck in anticipation of needing the additional parking for their new office building. Unless the city banned parking structures from downtown (...and I'm not sure they could) there's no way to stop them. At least this structure (much like 7th Street Station) brings something other than just parking to the equation. If parking decks can be built as multi-purpose structures I don't really have a problem with them. Most large cities that I've been to, including those with mass transit, have plenty of parking decks. I'll be going to a movie downtown this weekend, and I'm planning on taking the train. It's more convenient for me and less expensive. For someone on the north side of town however, it makes little sense, so at least this gives them one more option when coming downtown.

I don't have a problem with parking decks; they're a necessary evil of sorts. But for the love of God, enough with all the walkways! At least the ones that already exist connect office towers to each other or a parking deck to an office tower. This one connects one parking deck to another. I mean, really.

Archived