Jacksonville, NC

CapeFearRiver10

I had a lot of time off today & I was curious of what is going on in the Eastern NC community & I've notice that the Jacksonville area is growing with a population of 75,000 residents in the city. I checked out their local news & found out they have a new downtown Master Plan, its looks extremely pedestrian friendly & dense I very impress. So I was wondering if you guys had any pictures of what the town looks like.

Its on the left side of the site called "The Lawrence Groups Downtown Master Plan". Go check it out. (The plan was issued out the public 9/25/07).

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I don't have any pictures of the place I can't tell you off the bat that it isn't much, its basically a little street with a handful of commercial buildings, most of the growth is in the form of strip shopping centers around the military base there. It is however good to know they are developing a plan to create a good downtown core for Jacksonville.

I actually just got back from Jacksonville a couple of weeks ago. I was with my wife visiting some of her friends that recently relocated there for a job (non-military) and there is a huge amount of growth going on there it seemed. In the subdivision where her friends live we drove around a bit and it was full of hundreds of new homes and most everything around the subdivision was new with many new projects under construction.

There didn't seem to be much of anything that could be called a downtown though from what I could tell so I'm glad that a master plan is being devised to address this issue.

With the addition of 11,500 marines, I wonder how much is this area going to change. I've learn through recent information that the relocation will create an additional 800-1,000 jobs & there is no telling how many companies/civilians that will be moving to the area. I predict the Jacksonville area (county) could possibly reach 200,000 within the next 5 years. Maybe through their master plan they can add density to the downtown area with housing & improve transit with bus routes for downtown to the military base.

Archived