Design Q/A

DSchoon

Hi everybody,

I'm working on a Q/A piece for our real estate magazine that has me calling around to some of the more notable architects for some opinions. I thought I'd open it up to the general community via UP, if anyone is interested. Respond to as many as you like.

1. What ongoing/recently completed project has the most potential for a lasting architectural impact?

2. What trends and features do you see in the market right now thave have the potential for a lasting impact?

3. Is there anything you see people doing that you'd like to go away?

4. Does West Michigan have a design style? If so, what would be representative of this?

5. Favorite building?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi everybody,

I'm working on a Q/A piece for our real estate magazine that has me calling around to some of the more notable architects for some opinions. I thought I'd open it up to the general community via UP, if anyone is interested. Respond to as many as you like.

1. What ongoing/recently completed project has the most potential for a lasting architectural impact?

2. What trends and features do you see in the market right now thave have the potential for a lasting impact?

4. Does West Michigan have a design style? If so, what would be representative of this?

5. Favorite building?

The Grand Rapids Art Museum

Healthcare. The commercial real estate development going on in this sector will have a huge impact on the West Michigan economy moving forward.

Unless you're talking architectural impact. Then it's that goofy roofline wave. Witness DeVos Place, The Rapid Central Station, Ford Airport Parking Monster ... even Verne Barry Place picked up on it.

Strip malls.

It used to be Romanesque, judging by all the 100-year-old buildings downtown. But that wasn't unique to GR. Now I really think that we have potential to become a leader in environmentally friendly design, which I think is being driven by companies like Herman Miller and Steelcase (and, of course, the Steelcase families with the Hunting YMCA, the GRAM and the Peter Martin Wege Theatre).

5. Favorite building?

Tie: the Van Andel Institute and the new GRAM.

Sorry I didn't respond earlier... meant to and forgot :P

Definitely GRAM

2. What trends and features do you see in the market right now that have the potential for a lasting impact?

The biggest 'trend' is green design. People are being to understand the impact buildings have on the environment and the potential to do less harm. While Green Design and LEED buildings is not a fix-all, it is a good first step towards reducing the impact we have on the world around us.

5. Favorite building?

The feeling you get when walking under the canopy @ the GRAM is great. Add in the water wall and the incredible lighting outdoors and GRAM runs away with this title EASILY

On a slightly smaller scale, I do love the historic architecture at the United Way building.. I have no clue what its like on the inside, but the front facade is amazing!

5. Favorite building?

Archived