Insulation and R Values

Hello all, I am researching insulation technologies to work with for both residential and commercial projects. I haven't gone through code books or any official government files yet, but I can't seem to find anything on standard r values in the U.S.

Can anyone tell me what the minimum r value on residential and commercial projects is?

Is there even a minimum r value, or do you just have to disclose the value to the customer?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello all, I am researching insulation technologies to work with for both residential and commercial projects. I haven't gone through code books or any official government files yet, but I can't seem to find anything on standard r values in the U.S.

Can anyone tell me what the minimum r value on residential and commercial projects is?

Is there even a minimum r value, or do you just have to disclose the value to the customer?

There's no such thing as a standard R-Value in the US. What is appropriate here in the cold north, wouldn't be appropriate in the south. Usually it is the individual state that adopts an energy code, which may or may not be based on a model code.

Michigan is woefully behind in its energy code. R-13 in walls and R-30 in ceilings, very pathetic. We tried to update it a couple of years ago but it was blocked in court by the state homebuilders association. The wankers thought it might add a few more dollars to constructing a house. What everyone overlooks is the energy savings. Why wouldn't you want to provide the best product you could to your client?

Commercial energy codes mostly follow along the ASHRAE 90.1 standard. Michigan is still using 90.1-1999 while we use 90.1-2004 for LEED purposes.

Archived