E-mail free Fridays

tamias6

According to this article. Intel, the chip maker, will be tackling E-mail overload by asking its employees refrain from communicating among one another via e-mail and instead talking face to face instead on Fridays. The article states that some techie's that are swamped with E-mail simply declare an e-mail "bankruptcy" every Friday by deleting or archiving entire inboxes and starting over from scratch. Are you overloaded with e-mail? If so, how do you manage your inboxes? Will you or do you observe E-mail free Fridays?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately, I have been burned at work by relying on 'face to face' or phone communication. If it's something extremely important that I'm relying on someone to get done, I have to do it on email just so I have documentation in case someone 'drops the ball.' Thank goodness though, I rarely get more than 80 emails a day at work so it's still manageable.

i like email as a form of communication. it makes for easy communication of things that i need to keep. unfortunately, other people at this college feel that everything needs to be sent to everyone by email... such as new books in the library, updates on the sports teams, etc. those are things that i consider spam and shouldn't be sent to everyone. but for the most part, emails are easier to deal with than people coming to my office or calling me. it's much easier to ignore email than to ignore a ringing phone or someone standing right in front of you.

Archived