Lowe's Motor Speedway

lukedog

I would imagine Concord is going to get their act together and allow Bruton Smith to build a drag racing strip next to Lowe's motor speedway. If they don't, and Smith moves the speedway, are there any good places for Lowe's Motor speedway closer to uptown Charlotte? Maybe somewhere around the Charlotte Airport? Maybe in South Charlotte near Carowinds? I believe he needs around 100 acres to build a new speedway.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

100? I coulda swore he's looking for something around 2000 acres. My guess is that if he moved (and he won't,) he won't find land in Charlotte city limits. No homeowners in Charlotte are going to let an entire motorsports complex, let alone a speedway be built near their houses. There are not a lot of places in Charlotte, outside of around the airport, that don't have residential at least near enough to be effected. Traffic during speedweeks, traffic for motorshows, noise pollution, air pollution, etc all add up to any residential realtor's nightmare. It won't happen IN charlotte IF it does. My bets would be with Rowan County, Fort Mill, Monroe, Mooresville, or Gastonia. Mooresville is my best guess as it already has a good deal of motorsports related industry already.

Smith will buy out all of those houses that are complaining before he ever moved the speedway. He is just trying to get attention and scare everyone. This is why I hate politics... both sides are a bunch of babies. Nonetheless, I do side with Smith just because he is looking for an economic impact, while the citizens made their economic decision to live there. The fact they they knew they were living next to zoned speedway land was their decision, the track was built first. Anyway- although I stand that it won't be moved, if it were to be, it wouldn't have a Charlotte address. As much as Charlotte and many of the people of Charlotte would want to see it, there is no room for the 2000 acres needed. The only options is Rowan, which I would hate because it's further out from Charlotte than Cabarrus, and I think it's essential to keep it as close to Charlotte as possible; also S. Carolina - Fort Mill area, there's land and Carowinds zoning, I just don't see the state of N. Carolina allowing it to leave their state; Gaston County- I don't know enough about the area, but I would imagine there is land however not enough economic impact for the area currently. By that I mean hotels and other attractions that would allow the area to be kept vibrant. The people of Gaston County seem to want to stick with small town feelings, not allow things like this to move it. Other options is further out, which I just don't see happening. Again, Charlotte wants to call this their attraction, they just don't have the room for it so are relying on a sister county to take care of their baby...

True if Smith has all that money he should just buy out the people who are complaining about this drag strip to begin with. I side with Smith on this project. As a resident of the GREAT CITY OF CONCORD!!! this will only help to bring more buisness to the county and the city. In my opinion the people who are doing all of the complaining need to just need to keep there opinions to themselfs... Why buy a brand new home with your backyard is right up against one of the biggest race tracks in the Racing Circut, and not think your going to have to contend with a lot of noise to begin with! Not to mention youe right next to the biggest mall in the Carolina's! I understand what these people want, but in all honesty the track was there first..... LMS also brings in millions of dollers to concord and charlottes economy. These few taxpayers don't so the rest of Cabarrus County could potentially have to suffer because of these few people, (i.e. higher taxes to offset the loss of the speedway???). Not to mention we are already losing Phillip Morris... I think the track will stay but, people need to do a little research and consider the possibility of what could happen with growth depending upon where they move. It would be a bad move on Smith's part to do this with the Grand opening of the HOF just a couple of years away, and have bad mojo going on within the local area because of a few pissy residence's.

But anyway there my two cents....

Not trying to make anyone mad.....

And yes..... Concord ciy council was to quick to act and judge before considering the outcome of what could happed to the entire city and county as well... bad on them too...

Archived