Downtown Organic Food/ Grocery store opening

Allison Slater

The store, expected to open in January, has signed an 11-year lease on the old Mulick space.

Polly Wilson, general manager, said the store will be like a small Harvest Health or Whole Foods Market.

She's planning to carry groceries, natural and organic products, supplements and produce. The store also will have a small cafe, some ready-to-eat salads and sandwiches, coffee, tea and a small seating area.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please disregard the last - read Knape's Corner and found the answer. Could turn out to be a great spot for them given the amount of people living in the area now - I wish them the best. Now if someone could only see that there is a huge market for just such a store in the East Hills/Cherry Hill area...............

Please disregard the last - read Knape's Corner and found the answer. Could turn out to be a great spot for them given the amount of people living in the area now - I wish them the best. Now if someone could only see that there is a huge market for just such a store in the East Hills/Cherry Hill area...............

• 2 weeks later...

The Green Life Market is now open for "sneak peek week." 944 E Fulton, almost directly across from bypass central Van's Bakery. Hours are M-Th 8 am - 7 pm, F 8 - 6, Sat 9 - 2.

Selection included a deli case (box of tabouli, about $5), some packaged organic wild caught deli meats, many packaged snack crackers. Juices. Health & body products. A huge paperboard container of organic dark baking chocolate. In the way-back are coffee pots and a place to sit a spell. There's a small courtyard with a bricked patio out back with the parking. Beautiful wooden floor and a nice airy ambiance.

And they have organic natural-colored cloth shopping totes ($10) and T-shirts ($12 kids, $15 adults).

The owner, Kristine, told me that she and hubby are from Chicago, where small organic C-stores like this abound. The product line is quite different from, say, Spike & Mike's Party Store, or the pizza place on the corner.

Check out this cool logo!

greenlife.jpg

ETA: no affiliation...I live close enough to crawl there with a broken leg, and any business with a two-wheeler in its defining image is OK by moi

I like organic/natural foods, and try to visit Grand Central Market and Martha's as much as I can afford, but my pocketbook would love for a 'regular' (with some organic options) grocery store to open downtown. However, I'm excited to visit this new store, I hope they do well!

• 5 weeks later...

Well regarding any Whole Foods coming into GR's picture sometime soon - I think it's safe to say that it will be in the 28th/Cascade area competing with Fresh Market. Although they seem to actually distance themselves from each other as far as competition goes.

Nice looking store though - may just have to check it out.

Trader Joe's (which is a very urban-supportive chain) is ripe for expansion into Grand Rapids, and the suburbs are not the only viable place for a "Whole Foods-style" grocery store.

ICCF is practically building an entire new neighborhood at Wealthy and Division, centered between Heritage Hill, Eastown, Southtown (et al.), and the downtown condos.

The development at Wealthy and Division has huge potential for an anchor grocery store and many other retail options....

• 1 month later...
Trader Joe's (which is a very urban-supportive chain) is ripe for expansion into Grand Rapids, and the suburbs are not the only viable place for a "Whole Foods-style" grocery store.

The development at Wealthy and Division has huge potential for an anchor grocery store and many other retail options....

I was on Whole Foods site reading about their requirements that they'd consider to place a new store - one of the interesting ones is that they like to be close to colleges or be in a town that has a lot of college-degree residents. So that could enhance the possibility of a downtown store maybe by the GVSU campus or something along those lines?

Archived