Downtown Murfreesboro

Justiceham

Here is what I hope will only be the first of many much needed infill projects announced for downtown. A six story mixed use building will fill the vacant lot at the corner of West Main and Front streets. The plan calls for above level apartments and ground level retail. More information about the project can be read below.

http://dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/.../710060305/1002

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

^ I saw that comment and shook my head in shame. It's like they think the only type of housing downtown must be cheap and for low income families. I've also read complaints on the astounding height of 80 ft! What do you guys think about the height of buildings located downtown? What about street level activity? I am glad there is a retail component to address this.

The rendering of the poposed tower may be seen below. I like the tower, the brick will blend easily with the surrounding buildings. I truly hope this gets approved. Infill like this has been a long long time coming. After the 19 story Mid South Bank tower was cancelled, it seemed that developers lost interest. Many arguments against the building state that it will disrupt the historic setting and cause more traffic.

http://murfreesboropost.com/news.php?viewStory=7185

Very nice looking mix-use project. I think its size and scope seem to be in line with the city's overall current character and would help move the overall character more in a direction where down the road larger and taller structures might be more persude by developers and accepted by the community.

When was the 19-story bank building proposed? I don't remember it off hand, might have missed out on that news when it was going on.

When was the 19-story bank building proposed? I don't remember it off hand, might have missed out on that news when it was going on.

This was three or four years ago. They had a plans on their website and it was mentioned in the local news paper. However, they chose to remain in a converted church located downtown, kind of weird for a bank this size. I suspect as you said larger scale projects will emerge in the near future as Murfreesboro grows up a little more. Let's just hope the city does not shoot them down before they have a chance. A city Murfreeboro's size should have a bit more urban development going on than what it currently does.