Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sojay

Richard Florida in town!

sojay    0

D$%# I wish I could attend his talk this week, but it's by invitation only. If anyone here is going, PLEASE give us a briefing!

I first found out about his books from this forum a couple of years back. How many of you have read his books?

It seems like he's getting his message to the right ears here locally. I just hope they (politicians, university management, developers and other movers and shakers) actually listen AND implement his recommendations.

sojay    0

Sorry, I didn't see that.

Does anyone here care to discuss his ideas and how they are applicable to Columbia?

A lot of it is directly related to many of the discussions on this site.

krazeeboi    115

For reference, it was discussed a bit in this thread.

Personally, I think that any attempts to lure the "creative class" without just as much emphasis on the middle class are a bit misguided. Florida also sees the value in "non-creative" industries, such as manufacturing (which is still pretty important to just about any city's economy).

Personally, I think that any attempts to lure the "creative class" without just as much emphasis on the middle class are a bit misguided. Florida also sees the value in "non-creative" industries, such as manufacturing (which is still pretty important to just about any city's economy).