Should Little Italy Move?

grock

It was kind of sad in the Courant about the decline of the South End/Frankin Avenue neighborhood. The Columbus Day parade walks by vacant buildings, graffiti, etc. The article also said Hartford's Italian population has dwindled to 3800 people.

There needs to be some leadership to save Little Italy or move it to another part of the city.

1. I think Franklin Avenue has become a drag strip. The street is too wide, and not pedestrian friendly. Little Italy neighborhoods in New York, Boston, and San Francisco are small intimate streets, like...duh, Italy!

2. Crime. VEnture off Franklin Avenue and it gets scary in some spots. Even mayoral candidate Art Feltman was held up near Mozzicato's.

3. Maybe Little Italy should be moved to Barry Square and they could start building around St. Augustine's? Or turn the parking lots across from and behind St. Patrick/Anthony into a vibrant neighborhood of small walkable streets like Mott Street in NYC.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally think the growth and development of ethnic enclaves must be organic to be authentic. If it is dying, I don't think much can really be done on the part of government to save it as Little Italy. Can it be preserved as a great city neighborhood with an ethnic Italian past? Sure. Will that gaurantee the survival of Little Italy? Well that ship has kind of sailed for the most part.

I personally think the growth and development of ethnic enclaves must be organic to be authentic. If it is dying, I don't think much can really be done on the part of government to save it as Little Italy. Can it be preserved as a great city neighborhood with an ethnic Italian past? Sure. Will that gaurantee the survival of Little Italy? Well that ship has kind of sailed for the most part.

Is a Little Italy with no Italians still a Little Italy? I say no, and if that's the case,let the neighborhood develop as it's going to develop. Park Street used to be all French Canadians and Portuguese, now it's heavily Puerto Rican. Maybe let the neighborhood go the way it's going to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived