Nuclear Energy

BRPJ

I recently read the article at the advocate about a possible nuclear breakthrough and Shaw. Its possible that nuclear energy may be a part of our nations solution to our energy crisis, which I think is possibly a good idea, not fully sold yet. But, We do have an up and coming nuclear monster with shaw. They claim they want to turn Baton Rouge into the "capital of nuclear energy" :) How would you feel if BR and south louisiana was the leader of nuclear power? How would you feel if there was a nuclear power plant in your backyard? Do you believe if we make a big step towards nuclear energy in this country that shaw could greatly accelerate economic growth in the region?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This would be great for the area! Nuclear energy is clean and safe. But it is events like chernobyl(spl) and three mile island that gave nuclear energy a huge negative image. Its more likely that an 18-wheeler or train could crash carrying hazadous cargo near your house, then a nuclear meltdown occuring near your home. Needless to say, this is the direction the WHOLE world needs to be taking, and it would be great to see baton rouge at the forefront of this renassaince of nuclear power.

fyi, i wouldnt mind a plant in my back yard, the look cool, lol

Wow BRJP! Thanks for starting this new thread.

Definetly something to think about; I guess I'm undecided for now. Aren't 9 other states in the running for the nuclear project?? I'm sure this would help the economy.

Funding for the expansion for the Pennington Bio-medical research center is vital to the economic engine of the Capital Region. Hopefully that starts by the end of the year??

I am a huge supporter of nuclear energy. I agree it's very clean and safe. I wouldn't have a problem with BR being the leader in nuclear energy at least we'd be #1 in something. LOL.. I wouldn't mind it being in my "backyard", I agree that I think they look cool.

The Chernobyl nuclear meltdown rendered that area uninhabitable for the next 500 years...but that was a combination of at least a dozen major mistakes made by the managers at that plant. Some Americans think that the meltdown was intentional to hide some kind of weapons experiement, others believe that it is fake and one big show for the same reason. I don't fall into that category. I think it was operator error and all the wrong decisions were made. Three mile island was a total meltdown caused by operator error that was contained because of compotent personel and fast response. They learned from that and I doubt that anything short of a terrorist attack would cause the Energy facility in St. Francisville to meltdown, and even if it did it's almost impossible to have the kind of disaster like Chernobyl.

Keep in mind that both of those incidents were decades ago. Also, keep in mind the Soviet Union's history with emerging techonlogies. To say the least, their record is not stellar.

I am a huge supporter of nuclear energy. I agree it's very clean and safe. I wouldn't have a problem with BR being the leader in nuclear energy at least we'd be #1 in something. LOL.. I wouldn't mind it being in my "backyard", I agree that I think they look cool.

Archived