Raleigh with a Pro-Football Team?

ERJ170

So I guess by your opinion, Las Angeles is a small town because they are considering putting a team there as well. I'd rather have a thriving UFL team than a struggling NFL one. Charlotte can barely hold their own with theirs for that matter. I have "shown up" to support "the latest contrived, financially unstable semi-pro obscure team," and I'm not a local thank you. I am an individual that wants to see Raleigh grow in every way possible.

As for Pro Tennis vs. college basketball and football, give me Pro Tennis over those anyday of the week. I have ZERO interest in college sports.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we do get this football team, should it be named the 'carolina blank' or the 'raleigh blank'? I think because we have the carolina panthers in the state already, a raleigh named team may be the better way to go, makes it feel more local and people would support it more. thoughts?

Correct if I am wrong, But I beleive that it is named Carolina because it was to represent North and South Carolina since Charlotte is pratically in both states. The Charlotte Bobcats is a follow thru with its predecessor the Charlotte Hornets. I agree we should have named it the Carolina Bobcats. I do not mind naming it the Triangle (???) since it is a semi pro team, however we have the Carolina Railhawks here in Cary. So either would work I guess. I think the quality of play is more important than the name.

^

loller. Remember the "Bullfrogs", an attempt at a semipro basketball franchise in the early 90s? Featured Lorenzo Charles, who had washed out of the NBA and bounced around obscure European leagues for years. They didn't last more than one season, either. The reason people around here don't support junk sports like these is because we get the very highest level at the collegiate level--why settle for semi-pro sports junk? Heck, I think its more respectable for local people to use their entertainment dollars on the Carolina Rollergrrls (roller derby) and professional wrestling. At least those folks make no bones about the fact that they are here to entertain you--NOT as a serious sporting event. The UFL is professional wrestling, but without the tongue in cheek.

The NFL and NBA seem like they are semi-pro. I remember the good ol's days when receivers could actually catch the ball, running backs didn't fumble on every carry, QBs didn't throw 5 ints in game, and the defense could tackle. You know its bad when Vinnie Testaverde is playing again. The NBA...well, thats self-explanatory.

I'm guessing if they put a team in LA you will NOT see Jack Nicholson sitting at the 50 yard line...unless they are paying him an appearance fee. And while I admire your rah rah home town boosterism, you undermine your credibility when you term a franchise that has two NFC Championship Game appearances and a Super Bowl appearance in 11 years of existence as "struggling" If you'd rather see a league cobbled together of NFL washouts that will, most likely, fold in a season or two instead of three different schools in one of the nation's most competitive and prominant college leagues, than I say "thank you", because it will make it one fewer person trying to get tickets. If you are saying you'd rather see the Raleigh Cobras play the Birmingham Goons in exciting UFL action than scoring tickets to tonight's Wake Forest/FSU game, then I would guess you are in the minority.

1. I'm not talking about struggling as in how they play, I'm talking about struggling as in games not selling out. I've been to many Panthers games where the arena seemed half empty. The Canes have made 2 Stanley cup runs and one their run in 2006 and their attendance still is below average for an NHL team, which makes them in my book, struggling.

2. I am saying both about the UFL. I could care less about college sports (I'm from the northeast, btw, where college sports are not that popular if you haven't noticed), regardless of the competitive nature of them. Yes, I would much rather see the Raleigh Cobras against the Birmingham Goons. I'm the minority and I'm proud of it! I like what I like and what is "in" and "out" bears no influence on me.

Whether you like pro sports, college, neither or both, everyone has their own preference. i've learned that while traveling around the country and its good to take in other opinions when they are not your own.

If this new football team can create a fun atmosphere, i think people will show up, regardless of win/loss record. for example, i really do not care much for baseball, at any level, it simply does not interest me. I still go to durham bulls games though, i walk around the park, sit around and drink, there are lots of people around, a great social scene, and the american tobacco thing there (sorry, went blank on the name) is nice before/after place to hang out. if the durham bulls stadium was built somewhere near brier creek lets say, no doubt in my mind it would not be as successful as it is today.

if the new football team plays at carter-finley stadium, i really think they will be gone in less then 5 years. If this league is really going to happen then i think the stadium needs to be downtown, whether in raleigh or durham thats a new discussion for later. Build a 20-30k person stadium with room for expansion. If the league can create the same atmosphere as a college or pro game at a location near restaurants, nightlife, an area where you can kill time before/after a game, then i think we've got a winner :good:

If this league is really going to happen then i think the stadium needs to be downtown, whether in raleigh or durham thats a new discussion for later. Build a 20-30k person stadium with room for expansion. If the league can create the same atmosphere as a college or pro game at a location near restaurants, nightlife, an area where you can kill time before/after a game, then i think we've got a winner :good:

If we do get this football team, should it be named the 'carolina blank' or the 'raleigh blank'? I think because we have the carolina panthers in the state already, a raleigh named team may be the better way to go, makes it feel more local and people would support it more. thoughts?

Unless some billionaire has $270 million burning a hole in his (or her) pocket, any hope of having a stadium out in RTP died the day in 1995 when the NFL awarded the franchise to Charlotte. Stadiums WITH an NFL team: an expensive and controversial proposition. Stadiums without a viable franchise: only in fantasy land or Florida (yeah, the one in St. Pete was built with no major tenant, but that is a much large metropolitan area than RDU...

Unless some billionaire has $270 million burning a hole in his (or her) pocket, any hope of having a stadium out in RTP died the day in 1995 when the NFL awarded the franchise to Charlotte. Stadiums WITH an NFL team: an expensive and controversial proposition. Stadiums without a viable franchise: only in fantasy land or Florida (yeah, the one in St. Pete was built with no major tenant, but that is a much large metropolitan area than RDU...

It's a shame the NFL doesn't have a minor league component like baseball and hockey. Alas, I can dream of the Raleigh Mudcats and their downtown ballpark (the RMAP, anyone?). I think within minor league contexts you could get away with 'Raleigh Xs'. For full pro, ya gotta go regional.

Oh the memories of the Raleigh Icecaps at Dorton...

The real trend in stadiums right now is to build downtown. Most cities that have built suburban or outlying stadiums seem to regret that decision, so I think it would be a mistake to build a stadium in RTP...it also needs a central location where there is a large residential population in immediate surrounding areas. An NFL stadium or NBA arean can bring an exciting element to downtown and can host other events besides the sport. It can also bring more national attention to the city itself and the skyline - look at the television exposure the Charlotte skyline has received during Panthers home games.

I can't stand it when a team is named for the entire state or region. It's an attempt to bring in fans of the whole state when fans throughout the state will support the team anyway. Look at the state and regional support that the Braves have received...and they aren't the Southeastern or Georgia Braves. :) The Bobcats in Charlotte are popular around the Piedmont and Western areas of N.C., but any further than a two hour drive would be pushing it - no matter if they had been called the Carolina Bobcats. The Florida Marlins don't get much support in Miami, much less the entire state of Florida. :)

Maybe Raleigh should go for an NBA franchise and Durham for MLB...they could be called the Bulls...and Durham is even close enough to Greensboro to draw from the Triad.

There are plenty of smaller market professional teams out there...Buffalo with the Bills and Sabres; New Orleans with the Saints and Hornets, Cincinnati with the Bengals and Reds; Nashville with the Predators and Titans; Memphis with the Grizzlies; none of those cities are substantially larger than Raleigh, and cities like Raleigh and Nashville are growing very fast so they will continue to have a population base large enough to support their teams. I think it would be an excellent choice for an NFL, NBA or MLB team right now or very soon.

Archived