Taxi Zone System May Change

tombarnes

Zone System May End- Cabbies Rally at Freedom Plaza

Washington's unique zone system of calculating taxi fares may possibly end with a decision by Mayor Adrian Fenty on October 17th. This has the city's taxi drivers up in arms. Many of them gathered today at Freedom Plaza in Pennsylvania Avenue to protest what they feel is a usurpation of ther way of life. Whether or not a metered system would be good for everyone in general is still in question. The present zone system does make certain long trips quite a bit cheaper than they would otherwise be in a metered system. Proponents of the meters say that shorter trips would be cheaper, but I can't quite believe this. What is indisputable is that the zone system is fraught with inequities, many of which run in favor of those on the Hill. Why is it often only one zone to travel from Georgetown to Capitol Hill? Could it be the number of members of Congress who live in Georgetown? Hmmmm. Why is it almost always at least two or three zones to get anywhere in the city fron N.W.? I'll stay on the fence about meters until I know more about how the system would really work.

The Washington Post

Please feel free to share your thoughts on the taxi zone system in Washington. I haven't found another system like it anywhere in the world.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many Taxi Users Show Preference for Meters

A large number of taxi riders appear to show a preference for meters, according to a recent article in the Washington Post. There is little doubt that meters would remove the element of mystery which envelops many a taxi ride in our city. I'm tired of the constant bickering and arguments over fares which ought to be clearer. I have lived here for eight years (with another three before that) and have yet to unravel the mysterious zone system. My only concern is a pervasive feeling that the fares might jump dramatically with a metered system. This may be the only "compromise" which could be drummed up to generate support for the new system among taxi drivers. What we have not yet seen is a clear comparison of what various typical trips might cost under both systems. I'm aftraid that we won't be seeing this until Fenty's decision is a fait accompli.

The Washington Post

• 2 weeks later...

Fenty Will End Zone System

Mayor Adrian Fenty will sign legilation to end the taxi zone system in Washington. While I'm not a fan of the inrquities inherent in the present system, I regret that this new metered system will likely lead to higher fares across the board. It's possible that some short trips may be cheaper under the new system, but I have yet to see a chart comparing the two. The new meters will also cost about $1000.00 per taxi to install. A timeline has not yet been set for the change.

CNN Travel

Fenty Will End Zone System

Mayor Adrian Fenty will sign legilation to end the taxi zone system in Washington. While I'm not a fan of the inrquities inherent in the present system, I regret that this new metered system will likely lead to higher fares across the board. It's possible that some short trips may be cheaper under the new system, but I have yet to see a chart comparing the two. The new meters will also cost about $1000.00 per taxi to install. A timeline has not yet been set for the change.

CNN Travel

Absolutely. I have heard rumors of a taxi fleet waiting in the wings, but have heard nothing substantial, hence my reluctance to post about it. From what I have been told, it is likely that a fleet or two maybe brought in from another city. This may mean more stremlined service, but it will undoubtedly be more expensive.

Taxi Drivers Plan Strike on Halloween

Roughly half of Washington's 7500 licensed taxi drivers are expected to go on strike on October 31st in protest of Mayor Adrian Fenty's proposed overhaul of the city's taxi zone system. While several taxi companies have bowed to provide service during the 24 hour strike, it's possible that many more will join the expected strike. In short, it could be a total mess here on Wednesday. Somehow, I doubt that this will have an effect.

The Washington Post

Fenty Offers A Few Details...

Mayor Adrian fenty offered a few details about the new taxi meters today. Even if the base rate is lower, I still think that fares will be substantially higher- especially as they aren't getting rid of any of the surcharges. The new meters must be in place by April 1st or drivers will face a $1000.00 penalty.

The Washington Post

• 2 months later...

Archived