URBANPLANET REUNIFICATION OF SPLINTERED TRUE METRO GRAND RAPIDS

metrogrkid

Once upon a time, the smart-minded members of UrbanPlanet-Grand Rapids had ONE subforum that enfolded all of Michigan's West Coast (i.e. - the Grand Rapids-Muskegon-Holland triangle; the same triangular metro triplex that matched both the one articulated and embraced by West Michigan Strategic Alliance, the new Combined Metropolitan Statistical Area <CMSA> and that itself replaced what was the very logical Metropolitan Statistical Area <MSA>). Today, it is as if this heretofore group of forward-thinking and independent-minded MetroGR folk have acquiesced to or even "punked-down" to the guilty "dumb-demographer-in-DC" that messed this up and split up the historic unification of the GR Metro Triplex that - amazingly - had won the overwhelming support of the traditionally myopic and provincial leaders of GR, Muskegon and Holland.

Please - as the voice and mindtrust of a progressive and dynamic future for the Metro Triplex - can we please come to a consensus to re-merge the "Grand Rapids" and "Muskegon-Holland" subforums back into a "West Michigan Metro Triplex" or "Metro Grand Rapids (w/ including Muskegon and Holland)" designation? Likewise, Detroit and Ann Arbor need unification while Flint - it should be noted - is sure logically bundled with Saginaw, Bay City and Midland.

We do ourselves a great injustice to seperate the hugely interrelated metro concerns of Grand Rapids, Muskegon and Holland and their 100+ combined sister cities, townships and villages at this time of unprecedented bridging, overlapping and interconnecting of Kent, Muskegon, Ottawa and Allegan counties.

Now, with that said, check out the associated Michigan's Adventure thread . . . .

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Once upon a time, the smart-minded members of UrbanPlanet-Grand Rapids had ONE subforum that enfolded all of Michigan's West Coast (i.e. - the Grand Rapids-Muskegon-Holland triangle; the same triangular metro triplex that matched both the one articulated and embraced by West Michigan Strategic Alliance, the new Combined Metropolitan Statistical Area <CMSA> and that itself replaced what was the very logical Metropolitan Statistical Area <MSA>). Today, it is as if this heretofore group of forward-thinking and independent-minded MetroGR folk have acquiesced to or even "punked-down" to the guilty "dumb-demographer-in-DC" that messed this up and split up the historic unification of the GR Metro Triplex that - amazingly - had won the overwhelming support of the traditionally myopic and provincial leaders of GR, Muskegon and Holland.

Please - as the voice and mindtrust of a progressive and dynamic future for the Metro Triplex - can we please come to a consensus to re-merge the "Grand Rapids" and "Muskegon-Holland" subforums back into a "West Michigan Metro Triplex" or "Metro Grand Rapids (w/ including Muskegon and Holland)" designation? Likewise, Detroit and Ann Arbor need unification while Flint - it should be noted - is sure logically bundled with Saginaw, Bay City and Midland.

We do ourselves a great injustice to seperate the hugely interrelated metro concerns of Grand Rapids, Muskegon and Holland and their 100+ combined sister cities, townships and villages at this time of unprecedented bridging, overlapping and interconnecting of Kent, Muskegon, Ottawa and Allegan counties.

Now, with that said, check out the associated Michigan's Adventure thread . . . .

It wasn't my point, though. I'm only expressing what I assume Metrogrkid was lobbying for. After the decision was made to start new forums for the lake shore area I assumed it was because those were new development centers. Not because they somehow split form the Metro area. :wacko:

It wasn't my point, though. I'm only expressing what I assume Metrogrkid was lobbying for. After the decision was made to start new forums for the lake shore area I assumed it was because those were new development centers. Not because they somehow split form the Metro area. :wacko:

I'd vote against re-unifying.

Mainly because with the majority of threads being about GR, you'd lose the occasional good thread about Holland or Muskegon unless it had post-after-post every day like the big hitters in the GR Forum.

For that same reason, despite it's relative quiet, I'm always happy to check out the Kzoo forum and see what's going on in Kzoo. Even if posts are a few days old, I don't have to hunt...Kzoo stuff is on the Kzoo board. That's a nice feature. I'd hate to see it go away.

When it was the old way I kind of thought it added a critical mass element to the forum. The Holland-Muskegon forum wouldn't even have to mix with the Grand Rapids threads. They could just be added as a subforum to the main GR page.

PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK. Thank you.

Drop by the Detroit forum sometime; you'll see a couple posts a day. Ann Arbor? One a week during a busy time.

Holland and Muskegon are their own metro areas; whatever UP'ers exist there don't need to wade through pages and pages about our GRAM or DDA banners or police or crime. (Crime in Holland is a hit & run on a rural road.)

HTH

I'd vote against re-unifying.

Mainly because with the majority of threads being about GR, you'd lose the occasional good thread about Holland or Muskegon unless it had post-after-post every day like the big hitters in the GR Forum.

For that same reason, despite it's relative quiet, I'm always happy to check out the Kzoo forum and see what's going on in Kzoo. Even if posts are a few days old, I don't have to hunt...Kzoo stuff is on the Kzoo board. That's a nice feature. I'd hate to see it go away.

It's been a while since I've posted.. so I'll just throw in..

Welcome back I guess :) ... Where have you been? Haven't heard much since the "Myster".. bah.. nevermind

Welcome back hope you'll join back in to the discussions, always made them a bit more interesting.

Well I of course vote against recombining the forums. The Muskegon threads will just end up lost among all the GR ones. The Muskegon-Holland forum may not be as active as I wish it were, but I think it's done pretty well. When you look at the Kalamazoo forum that was created at the same time there are only about half the number of posts on that forum as there are in the Muskegon-Holland forum. Despite what some people think Holland and certainly Muskegon are seperate from Grand Rapids.

Also, how does having a Muskegon-Holland forum hurt this forum?

Archived