New DASH lots in Southern downtown GR

DwntwnGeo

Some late night news. Maybe there will be additional information in Thursday's GR Press. Here are some quotes from Mlive.

"The DDA hopes to work with the city's Parking Services department to turn the former Sonneveldt property, 435 and 441 Ionia Ave. SW, into a new Downtown Area Shuttle (DASH) lot."

"Unused for several years, the land had been pitched as the site for a year-round urban market in 2004. That idea fizzled due to lack of funding.

Fowler said the bulk of the former food distribution facility probably will be torn down.

Two older buildings on the site will be assessed for potential redevelopment.

If those buildings are saved, it will cut the number of spaces in the lot to about 400"

"The new DASH lot will give the DDA more flexibility when considering redevelopment projects for other DASH lots it owns closer to the central city."

The complete article can be read here: DDA OKs plan to build land for parking lot

GRDad, if you would like to merge this with the current downtown parking thread, please feel free.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some late night news. Maybe there will be additional information in Thursday's GR Press. Here are some quotes from Mlive.

"The new DASH lot will give the DDA more flexibility when considering redevelopment projects for other DASH lots it owns closer to the central city." The complete article can be read here: DDA OKs plan to build land for parking lot

GRDad, if you would like to merge this with the current downtown parking thread, please feel free.

While I hate surface lots as much as most people in this forum, is this a good thing?

Considering the area (south of Wealthy) and the timing (development south of Wealthy seems a few years off), is this a necessary growing pain?

Is a surface lot like this just a transition piece until the area is ripe for redevelopment?

At least a parking garage is not being built.

Not knowing the historical value of the buildings on this site, it seems like a good thing that may help clean the area up.

True, it does take pressure off the lots closer to the city center but what does this do for SOW (area south of wealthy)?

For a moment I thought they had bought the empty lot on the eastern side of Ionia.

But that would have made too much sense. So as usual the new DASH lot will go in where a building is...

I can think of no better way of making that area look more attractive than by developing it into a parking lot that will be there for at least 16 years.

For a moment I thought they had bought the empty lot on the eastern side of Ionia.

But that would have made too much sense. So as usual the new DASH lot will go in where a building is...

I can think of no better way of making that area look more attractive than by developing it into a parking lot that will be there for at least 16 years.

Here they go again...Funny that the DDA wants to expand the area from which it grabs tax revenue and at the same time expand their "money losing" surface parking operation. So we get more funds taken out of the City departments like police and fire and the DDA gets the $$ to buy up buildings for more surface lots. This makes me want to SCREAM.

Am I missing something or is DDA actually asking us to agree to less City services so they can create more surface parking.

I agree that if the DDA really could get Area 4/5 to be developed this would be great. I just don't think they can pull it off. Their development track record is suspect at best. Take out the GRAM and I cannot think of any DDA inspired development

How about they save the $2MM and increase mass transit opportunties?

Here they go again...Funny that the DDA wants to expand the area from which it grabs tax revenue and at the same time expand their "money losing" surface parking operation. So we get more funds taken out of the City departments like police and fire and the DDA gets the $$ to buy up buildings for more surface lots. This makes me want to SCREAM.

Am I missing something or is DDA actually asking us to agree to less City services so they can create more surface parking.

I agree that if the DDA really could get Area 4/5 to be developed this would be great. I just don't think they can pull it off. Their development track record is suspect at best. Take out the GRAM and I cannot think of any DDA inspired development

How about they save the $2MM and increase mass transit opportunties?

Sorry, Area 4/5 (called them 5/6 in my earlier post). I agree that I hope they are not just buying this to replace the DASH lot 6 (?) they just sold South of the ITP tent, and that they are really doing it to facilitate development of 4/5.

I have a map of the new DDA proposed boundaries that I'll post in the other thread.

Yep I guess that is a nice "glass is half full" way of looking at it. I am just concerned that the more downtown tax $$ that goes to the DDA the less we have for essential services and it is not like the City has much $$ now. Seems to me like the cart is before the horse. If they get a good offer on 4/5 then they should buy this property.

Believe me, I am not against parking (obviously) but as long we we keep subsidizing cheap lots at the expense of services, there will continue to be less call for ramps and mass transit. Really, you have to ask youself if the primary role of our property taxes is to pay for police, fire, parks, and trash pick-up or if it is to pay for more remote parking? Who is this lot benefitting? Not the general development community and not most of the citizens. We get zero benefit from it and there are only a few developers in town with more $$ invested in GR than us. Nevermind the working person paying taxes and getting insufficient city services. Reminds me of something...

"Do you know how long it takes a working man to save five thousand dollars? Just remember this, Mr. Potter, that this rabble you're talking about... they do most of the working and paying and living and dying in this community. Well, is it too much to have them work and pay and live and die in a couple of decent rooms and a bath?"

I'll get down now as this soap box gives me vertigo!

Archived