Municipalities around the Charlotte Region

nova72asu

This topic is to discuss how to address the posting of topics and threads for issues and projects in municipalities in the Charlotte area.

I'm beginning this topic based on recommendations made in the Gastonia Topic by the admins and moderators.

The issue here is the Charlotte Section is primarily directed toward "Charlotte Skyscrapers, Mass Transit Plans, Highways, Construction Projects, Rumors." The things discussed here are big city topics.

Threads concerning projects in the smaller surrounding muncipalities tend to get lost in the intensity of the Charlotte Section. Some examples of these municipalities that fall into this category are Gastonia, Rock Hill, Concord, Monroe, among others.

Please provide some feedback on ideas you may have for how the admins and mods can address this and provide a place where Topics concerning these municipalities can have a place to call home.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I lived in GA for a year I was active in the Statesboro, GA threads. The statesboro topics were consistently near the top of the activity list in the GA section. There was discussion about starting a Statesboro section. The admins and mods said there that in order to get a new section there needed to be a variety of topics for Statesboro that were consistently seeing activity. We began to expand out topics from one single Statesboro Topic in the GA section to several Statesboro related topics in the GA section. After several months Statesboro recieved its own section.

I dont know if that helps but it gives some insight into how it was done elsewhere on urbanplanet.

I have a couple proposals to resolve the issue:

As much as I would love for the to be a Section for every decent size town there just isn't enough activity to warrant it.

I believe the Charlotte Section should stay as is in dealing with "big city" topics.

I think there needs to be a Charlotte Metro...or Charlotte Region, whatever you want to call it, section that would include topics for the smaller surrounding cities/towns. This section could include the cities mentioned in the previous post as well as any others where appropriate. It could be done according to the counties, Gaston, Meck, Union, iredell, union, cabarrus, and possibly lincoln.

Seems like the only towns within the Charlotte thread that get much talk are Concord and Gastonia. Rock Hill gets the occasional mention and Monroe might have something on the main North Carolina thread. I think within the Charlotte topic, if there was to be another subforum, I'd say just Concord and Gastonia would be deserving of it, based on postings.

I can see Concord but Gastown needs to play catch up which by the postings I read the momentum is gaining steam. I think Concord might actually sprout a mini skyline along the major retail corridor there if all the cards fall in line. Although that would in the future but one never knows how these things work out.

• 3 weeks later...

I started a new topic outside of the Charlotte section for Concord/Speedway stuff. I guess we shall see what happens.

Hmmm well I see what happened. Just trying to bring Concord out of the mire of the Charlotte forums. It took me a while to find the topic. When I searched the Charlotte Section for "Concord" I came up empty handed. Then I checked the Coffee House and o look its buried on the 3rd page.

I hate having to look for topics for other municipalities in the Charlotte section. I feel it makes the section unorganized and yes I tend to be anal when it comes to organization. I wish the mods come find a solution.

• 4 weeks later...

One thing that might be a solution would be to have sections devoted to the suburbs in certain directions (ie: Charlotte NE Burbs could be Concord, Kannapolis, Salisbury etc., Charlotte W. Burbs could be Gastonia, Belmont, Mt. Holly and so on). With that system, if someone wanted to post something about China Grove for example, they would know exactly where they fit without having a section devoted to their town. It would be a catch all section for geographic "zones" so to speak. It also would make us (in Charlotte) sound a lot like Chicago. =)

• 1 month later...

One thing that might be a solution would be to have sections devoted to the suburbs in certain directions (ie: Charlotte NE Burbs could be Concord, Kannapolis, Salisbury etc., Charlotte W. Burbs could be Gastonia, Belmont, Mt. Holly and so on). With that system, if someone wanted to post something about China Grove for example, they would know exactly where they fit without having a section devoted to their town. It would be a catch all section for geographic "zones" so to speak. It also would make us (in Charlotte) sound a lot like Chicago. =)

I like this idea. N, E, W, S Charlotte metropolitian would pretty much can cover all of the areas and certainly make things more organized and easier to follow.

• 2 months later...

http://news14.com/content/top_stories/5946...bs/Default.aspx

"Officials announced the plans at a news conference Tuesday. Between 200 and 300 jobs will be added over the next 2-year to 3-year period. The jobs will focus on clinical research, and positions will be filled as they become available"

N.C. Global Campus is growing but I sure hope this thing doesn't effect Wilmington, NC economic growth!

• 3 weeks later...

I believe that a subforum a la the Charlotte Coffee House should be created for all Municipalities in this metro as a whole. Gastonia and Concord both have their own threads running which could be moved to a subforum like this and continue on with other threads like the NCRC, Mooresville, Rock Hill, Monroe, etc. It makes sense to keep this organized in this manner. It's not like it takes up that much more room on the page to add one line anyway. I say that this is a much needed idea to help keep awareness of the suburbs up to readers who are not specifically looking for these things on their own.

I believe that a subforum a la the Charlotte Coffee House should be created for all Municipalities in this metro as a whole. Gastonia and Concord both have their own threads running which could be moved to a subforum like this and continue on with other threads like the NCRC, Mooresville, Rock Hill, Monroe, etc. It makes sense to keep this organized in this manner. It's not like it takes up that much more room on the page to add one line anyway. I say that this is a much needed idea to help keep awareness of the suburbs up to readers who are not specifically looking for these things on their own.

I agree with the recent suggestions. Create a subforum like the Coffee House and it would be for communities outside of Charlotte or Meck County (not sure which would be better here).

I think doing that would better organize things and help prevent topics from being scattered about in numerous forums and it would make the moderators job easier because you wouldn't have to move individual posts around all the time to get them where they need to be.

There is arguably more interest in Rock Hill in the South Carolina than there is in the Charlotte forum, given the fact that there is only 1 thread related to Rock Hill in this section. The problem is that nobody posts in that thread except Krazeeboi, me, and a few others. The lack of posters doesn't necessarily mean that there is a lack of interest.

There is arguably more interest in Rock Hill in the South Carolina than there is in the Charlotte forum, given the fact that there is only 1 thread related to Rock Hill in this section. The problem is that nobody posts in that thread except Krazeeboi, me, and a few others. The lack of posters doesn't necessarily mean that there is a lack of interest.

Well, to refute that though, I believe that if we created a subforum where any type of thread about the various municipalities around Charlotte could be posted, it would organically happen on its own. If someone views Rock Hill as its own city within South Carolina, then they would post in the SC forum, whereas if they viewed it as part of the Charlotte metro, they would post in this subforum just as they are running the current thread on it now in the Charlotte forum. There doesn't have to be a set rule about where you post things. Just like how Gastonia's largest thread is in the North Carolina forum rather than the Charlotte forum but the most active Concord forum is in the Charlotte Coffee House. I say that a subforum is needed to organize these threads for that fact alone.

As for the question of making it about outside of Charlotte vs Mecklenburg. I say it should be left to choice of the poster where to place the topic. It makes more sense for the subforum to include all projects outside of Charlotte improper (not the city limits,) but rather projects like the Whitewater Center or Carowinds which can be attributed to being a part of Charlotte's attractions but are not actually in Charlotte's limits technically (or maybe I'm mistaken about that, but that's my assumption.) It's just like how some parts of University City are technically not within city limits but is still part of Charlotte.

While New York is an elaborate example, it does have a separate forum for the outer boroughs and for Manhattan. It makes sense to do this and I'm honestly not sure what's holding it back.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived