What would it take to get you to move to Uptown?

atlrvr

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

During rush hour, most people with dogs walk to the parks and open areas... You will meet half the neighborhood that way.

Grocery shopping daily is possible. The neighborhood associations have a great deal going on and there are groups that run/play soccer/fly kites and othere sporting things weather permiting.

It is also people watching mecca, anchor in and watch the world running around you.

It really is a matter of choosing what you want to do versus what is there to do. Welcome. Through us a party!

I agree with 28202. I love walking home while the rest of the city is just getting out of the parking garage. 4th Ward Park is great and it's nice to just grab a cup of coffee and sit on a bench. Grocery Shopping is no longer a chore. Seriously, what more could you want out of a neighborhood? DT is much more than these bars. However, there is NOTHING going on on Sunday (except for Football) season...but the whole town shuts down on Sunday's.

]The high-$100,000's to the mid-$200,000's price point would be perfect. I think this would appeal to younger first-time buyers that want something in uptown. Personally I don't need all the pools, fitness centers, clubs, business centers, etc. They just hike up association dues and I don't know how much I would actually use them and I like my own gym thank you very much. I like the idea of a 700-800sf condo or loft. And forget about all the expensive upgrades...ie., granite counter tops, stainless steel appliances, upgraded lighting, etc. I can do all those upgrades myself if I want them in the future or pay for the upgrades if I think I need them

I live uptown already, and I love it. I have to admit I'm sort of a bar-fly. I usually make it out with friends a few night a week, but I wouldn't say that I wouldn't want to live uptown even if I didn't.

One thing that I've realized living uptown for the last year and a half is that there actually is a lot more going on uptown that I ever thought. It seems like festivals come every couple weeks. I attended the Japanese cultural festival, the Indian cultural festival, and will unfortunately miss the Italian festival next week. Both of the events I attended were really cool -- I saw some Japanese drummers at the Wachovia Atrium that literally gave me chills. I loved going to the retail shops that were set up to purchase the goods I have seen in my trips to Japan -- anything from Pocky to dried squid. And talk about the food at these events -- it's as authentic as it gets. Both the Japanese and Indian places serving food were just incredible. I also enjoy being able to walk to the regular festivals that everyone knows about. Like Blues, Brews, and BBQ, Taste of Charlotte, and even Speed Street.

I think that the necessities are downtown. Living at Fifth and Poplar, I hardly ever have to drive. I have a Harris Teeter downstairs, get my dry cleaning done in the same building, and walk one block to a CVS for drug store goods. I have Starbucks coffee every morning and don't have to leave the building. And if I prefer Dunkin' Donuts coffee, it's only a block away. Target is the only thing that was missing, and thanks to Midtown, I can get to Target quicker than when I lived in South Charlotte. Same will soon be true for Best Buy and Home Depot.

I also enjoy being able to choose whatever I want to eat when I want it and I just walk to it. Japanese -- Tin Tin Box and Noodles. Indian -- Suruchi's (best in Charlotte IMHO). Chinese -- China Queen or Soho Bistro. Pizza - Fuel. Bar Food -- a million places. Mexican (well, faux-mexican anyway) -- Johnny Burrito, Jolina, and soon Moe's. There's also Pita Pit, Bojangles, Burger King, Just Fresh, Starbucks, etc. And that doesn't even include fine dining, which there is a ton of downtown. Speaking of restaurants, have you ever hit up the happy hour specials? $1.99 menu at McCormick and Schmick's and $4 for 3 sliders at Mortons. Fine dining for cheap! So much more will be there in 6 months or so with the Epicentre and other developments like the arena.

Soon, I'll have bowling and movie theaters within walking distance. Going to a Panther's game? I don't pay $25 for parking -- I just walk 4 blocks to the stadium. Ditto for the Bobcats/Checkers. And in a couple years, ditto for the Knights.

I rent cars often to drive on business trips. I like not having to make a trek to the airport. I just walk to the Enterprise or Avis locations downtown. I keep my car parked at my building garage and don't have to pay for airport parking.

I can easily take a bus or (soon) the light rail to other parts of town without having to worry about driving, parking, etc.

I personally love not having a lawn. I know that that is a negative thing for some, but for me it's perfect.

For walking around and just seeing scenery, uptown is where I want to do it. I am a freak for skyscrapers and urban development (why do you think I'm here?) and I always find something new and interesting when walking around. It's better than walking down Providence Blvd. in South Charlotte where I used to live for sure.

There is no other place in Charlotte that I'd rather live, period. I love calling this place home.

I agree. Some of us are simply attracted to a different type of urban environment. And this preference should not be taken as an insult in need of a defense. Different strokes for different folks. In my case if they could instantly increase the historical home section of 4th Ward or plop Dilworth right in the middle of Uptown and then throw in blocks and blocks of converted warehouse art galleries,streetside cafes and independent stores that would warm me up :thumbsup: Hmm I think I need to take another trip out to Portland soon....

As a new resident in Charlotte, I'd be interested to know what other parts of Mecklenburg you can find a better type of urban environment that what exists in uptown. I haven't seen one yet, much less dozens. But I admittedly don't find much reason to leave the vicinity of uptown since everything I need is already here. Right now, the sheer convenience of living uptown is why I want to stay. But like I said before, the prices are going to force me out once I decide to buy.

As a new resident in Charlotte, I'd be interested to know what other parts of Mecklenburg you can find a better type of urban environment that what exists in uptown. I haven't seen one yet, much less dozens. But I admittedly don't find much reason to leave the vicinity of uptown since everything I need is already here. Right now, the sheer convenience of living uptown is why I want to stay. But like I said before, the prices are going to force me out once I decide to buy.

I do from time to time mull over moving closer to uptown. I've been holding off, to give the light rail a chance, and see if I'll feel more satisfied with my location (near the Archdale station) after it begins.

If not, I think I'm more likely to rent than buy. Why put myself through the contortions of justifying a $1800-$2000 a month mortgage, when it's not hard to rent a condo in Uptown/Dilworth for under $1200? (Heck there are even better deals than that if you're not too picky - I've seen 1 BR condos in 1st and 4th ward go for as little as $800 on Craigslist.)

There's also the chance I could move farther away, if I saw something affordable near lake Wylie. Since I'm not a bar-hopper or a sports fan, to me being near uptown is mainly a commuter and shopping preference than an entertainment one.

If not, I think I'm more likely to rent than buy. Why put myself through the contortions of justifying a $1800-$2000 a month mortgage, when it's not hard to rent a condo in Uptown/Dilworth for under $1200? (Heck there are even better deals than that if you're not too picky - I've seen 1 BR condos in 1st and 4th ward go for as little as $800 on Craigslist.)

It's interesting. I would think that people who would subscribe to a website about Urban environments would try to promote and appreciate, perhaps help grow our Charlotte Uptown area. I find that some people constantly, aggressively bash our little city. Even more so, I'm confused about the number of people who prefer to live in the Suburbs yet spend time on this website....

It's interesting. I would think that people who would subscribe to a website about Urban environments would try to promote and appreciate, perhaps help grow our Charlotte Uptown area. I find that some people constantly, aggressively bash our little city. Even more so, I'm confused about the number of people who prefer to live in the Suburbs yet spend time on this website....

I spent a lot of my life raised outside the city limits in a semi rural part of the county. To me, being in a mature subdivision with sidewalks, busses, and corner stores is urban experience. I don't really have to be in a tower.

It isn't a question for me of what it WOULD take but what it DID take. As a resident of Dilworth for almost 10 years, I watched center city change from a strictly (other than an insignificant amount of residential) commercial and office environment to an increasingly growing urban environment with a healthy mix of everything. Not all is here yet, but it is coming and I'm actually happy to have settled here to watch it all come about.

What it took to finally make the move:

--Tired of yard work at my house

--Ready to sell one of our two cars and not need both at all

--Ready to walk to most of what I need including work, groceries, nightlife (when I actually go out), visit friends

--a condo with a balcony that was actually large enough to spend time on, not just big enough for 2 bistro chairs and a plant.

--the right location and right type of building

--a pool, I've never lived anywhere with one

--enough activity in center city to feel that it is close to complete and lively at most all times and days

We basically took the dive after spending time with other friends that had moved here to the Ratcliffe once it was done. We fell in love with the ability to decide, last minute, to go eat or get a glass of wine and be an elevator ride away. If you stay out half the evening, fine, or just one drink, fine - you haven't made the commitment of driving from one place to another to get there. We inevitably see friends out as well and end up joining them or just chatting on the sidewalk. We've met a completely diverse group of people with respect to age, gender, race, sexuality, etc and we all hang out together. We go to plays now at Spirit Square -- we never did that before. We take extended walks when the weather is crappy hot.

Dilworth was great and I really miss Freedom Park being a walk away, and I miss some of the restaurants, but overall center city is FAR more lively. I loved Dilworth but it is quite family-oriented right now and just a bit dull for my current lifestyle. Not that we party at all, but just speaking of the overall activity and the interaction of neighbors.

Add to this 3rd Ward Park, the movies at Epicentre, etc, it is becoming the well rounded place we wanted.

I'm moving uptown next week and there's several things that I'm NOT looking forward to.

I'm no longer the bar patron I used to be. Sadly enough one of the reasons I reserved the condo three years ago is because I was uptown quite a bit to visit Brick & Barrell and Buckhead. Other than going to bars and Panthers games I'm not sure what I'm going to do Uptown in my spare time. Come to think of it, the only reasons my friends ever go Uptown is to go to a bar.

I'm afraid my only visitors will be at 2am on a Saturday night.

If you are considering moving downtown, spend some time there -- NOT going to bars or at nights after 10pm. Come down Saturday morning or in the afternoon. Come one evening afterwork and just walk around. Attend a show at Spirit Square or Blumenthal and don't make plans afterwards, just move about and find a place to end up. Getting a feel for how the city interacts away from work and not at the bars should give you a perspective on what it is really like to be HOME in the city.

Not that the bar scene isn't great, but not a good reason to move.

If you are considering moving downtown, spend some time there -- NOT going to bars or at nights after 10pm. Come down Saturday morning or in the afternoon. Come one evening afterwork and just walk around. Attend a show at Spirit Square or Blumenthal and don't make plans afterwards, just move about and find a place to end up. Getting a feel for how the city interacts away from work and not at the bars should give you a perspective on what it is really like to be HOME in the city.

Not that the bar scene isn't great, but not a good reason to move.

Don't be surprised if, once you meet your neighbors, this changes. Our friends that don't live downtown rarely visit either except for restaurants or drinks, but our neighbors have become great friends and we all hang out all the time. By the pool, in front of the building in the seating areas, at each others places for Panther games when they are out of town, etc. I do far more now with friends and neighbors than I have in years, and it isn't going out to party -- married life makes partying for us a bottle of wine at 7pm then back home by 10 or a *bring your own meat for the grill* at a friends condo or townhouse.

I 'd personally love to move downtown, but my gf is against any property that doesn't have a yard and a fence :( . Any suggestions to convince her to change her opinion? I mean I am the one that has to water the yard/plants, cut the yard, pick debris! I'd love to not ever have to mow a blade again.

Ok, that option's out. :)

In seriousness, maybe take a vacation to a place with a nice urban fabric. Stay in a hotel that's in a slower-paced, more family-scale neighborhood. A b&b in a converted townhome would be ideal since it resembles what living there would actually be like. Walk to a nearby park, noting how convenient it would be to take a pet or child there to play. Make lots of comments about how you can't hear as much noise inside the townhome as one might expect. Basically make it a day-in-the-life type of experience, and see if it puts a new "spin" on urban living for her. If that doesn't sell her on it, start looking for places in town that have a postage-stamp yard and draw a compromise.

Not knowing everyone on this forum, I'd like to know how many people are living (or planning to live) uptown and married with a family? What are some of the things you do? Is it a good lifestyle? Some of the things like having a balcony, being within walking distance of restaurants and parks are all things that I'd look to forward to. However, I'm just curious how having a family impacts your life in uptown since you probably don't spend your weekends at Buckhead's. It's something that may not be in the too distant future for me.

Archived