New mixed-use development in Belmont

GRDadof3

Does anyone have any more info on this? Where in Belmont it will be located? Sounds kind of interesting.

The description I found is:

Renovation and new construction of a commercial development in Belmont. Working design plans call for the conversion of a four-story historical building into a retail and multi-residential building to include three floors of lofts. Plans also include the construction of a four-story building to include three floors of residential space and ground-floor parking. A walkway will be built to connect the two buildings.

Construction is expected to commence in Spring, 2008

Trying to picture where there is a four story historic structure in Belmont. I'm guessing True North is involved?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a planning commissioner in Plainfield Twp and I haven't heard a thing about this... where'd ya hear this? I can't think of any existing, let alone historically significant, multi-story bldgs in Belmont proper...

Are ya sure it wasn't Belding? There are definitely some taller, older bldgs with renewal potential there...

I'm a planning commissioner in Plainfield Twp and I haven't heard a thing about this... where'd ya hear this? I can't think of any existing, let alone historically significant, multi-story bldgs in Belmont proper...

Are ya sure it wasn't Belding? There are definitely some taller, older bldgs with renewal potential there...

Ah yes - here we go again - the old Gibsons plant...apparently the interior has been worked on for years and getting update. It was at one point going to be a farmer's market which the old mill that's attached to be apartments and/or condos.

Belding has recently been going some upgrades, they added some islands and landscaping in the downtown parking lots and removed a couple of very old buildings that are now owned by the city, and they added a 4 building cluster strip mall complex on M-44 (so far only subway occupies one of the buildings). And as of lately, M-44 is now repaved with a center turn lane (FINALLY) and right turn lanes to make traffic a little safer.

It's just a matter of time really - Greenville has exploded and is starting to run out of development land (to say that lightly, construction has calmed down a bit) and Belding could soon start feeding off some development. I personally think they should have demolished the building facing main/bridge and expose the mill again since there is no real pedestrian-friendliness to it...just looks like a huge wall with windows.

I believe Tol was the last person to own this land - if he still does - he needs to give it to someone who's going to do something with it.

Are we sure that's Belmont though? If you click on a map it points to a suburban drive with a bunch of houses...I'm way confused :lol:

Edit: I was trying to do some research on the site that Tol used to have for the property in Belding - the site used to be www.silkmillarts.com which is now no longer valid - tried to see if the internet archives had captured the site and no results :( The domain name is also available to register.

Sounds like the idea went down the drain and this could possibly be the ad (unless it really is Belmont which seems bizarre)

Archived