Fort Lauderdale- Downtown/Las Olas

tombarnes

Fort Lauderdale-Downtown/Las Olas

I'm creating a new thread for downtown Fort Lauderdale as the existing FL thread is simply too long. This is part of an eventual reorgainzation of the thread here into something more manageable. To begin, I'll start off with an article in today's Sun-Sentinel discussing how several proposed condo projects downtown have morphed into hotel projects. I still wonder whether or not there is indeed a market for the swelling number of hotel rooms in Broward County.

The Sun-Sentinel

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We agree that there are too many hotels in Broward County and too many more on the drawing boards. What positive steps (other than resignation?) could Mr. Naugle take to bring the area forward?

Establish something in the way of a light-rail system- or at least a sensible plan which would expand light rail into the most densely populated areas of Broward County and provide connectivity with Dade and Palm Beach Counties. No one is expecting the Mayor to complete thios, just to be more involved. Having a plan would be a good start.....

Draw more corporate and/or high-tech jobs to the area...thoughts or ides from anyone here? Everyone wants these jobs. How do we get them?

Stop bashing the gay community with idiotic proposals for robotic toilets.

The first two are probably the major ones and deserve expansion with realistic ideas of how to proceed. Shall we continue with a Fort Lauderdale wish list? If you like, I'll start a thread. Perhaps this would be better if we were mopre specific. I'm going to think for a bit before adding more to my list.

1. lower taxes for big business to draw them in

2. Go after companies that do major business in latin america and carribean and at least get big business to open up their latin american offices down here.

3. Find a way to lower property taxes to help get down rents and mortgages.

4. They need to implement rent control of some sort.

5. build a train system, be it light rail or a traditional train system that is elevated

6. abandon the stupid tropical paradise non sense.

7. implement the plan that the state govt has in mind to put in place. Give people with educations and student loans breaks. Every year they are down here pay a percentage of their school loans, and for each year they stay here increase the percentage by so much.

8. work with palm beach and dade to figure out what focus each will focus on. Example lets say Miami wants to go with the glamor thing ie south beach, fashion etc. So then broward can say okay we will focus on attracting corporate business and maybe west palm will go with high culture, the arts etc.

Good ideas. I wonder, however, if Fort Lauderdale has already invested so heavily in the luxury tourism gambit that they could abandon it entirely. Of course, big business would be a lasting draw which could actually fill the luxury hotels which have already been planned or built. As for culture, except for a fledgling symphony orchestra and a middling museum and science center downtown , Fort Lauderdale hasn't got much. They could well afford to leave this to Palm Beach County. Perhaps the Mayor could create a sort of blue ribbon panel to attract high-end corporate business to Broward County. Creating a panel is easy. Getting the business may not be. The tax breaks you suggest could certainly work here. How difficult would it be to rearrange the tax structure in Broward County? And how realistic in the present climate?

Good ideas. I wonder, however, if Fort Lauderdale has already invested so heavily in the luxury tourism gambit that they could abandon it entirely. Of course, big business would be a lasting draw which could actually fill the luxury hotels which have already been planned or built. As for culture, except for a fledgling symphony orchestra and a middling museum and science center downtown , Fort Lauderdale hasn't got much. They could well afford to leave this to Palm Beach County. Perhaps the Mayor could create a sort of blue ribbon panel to attract high-end corporate business to Broward County. Creating a panel is easy. Getting the business may not be. The tax breaks you suggest could certainly work here. How difficult would it be to rearrange the tax structure in Broward County? And how realistic in the present climate?

• 1 month later...

Sidewalk Sweep on Las Olas- Many Outdoor Tables Banished

Code enforcement officers swept through Las Olas Boulevard recently, taking with them many of the outdoor tables which once dotted the lively thoroughfare. I can understand the need for permits when operating an outdoor cafe, but I don't particularly see outdoor cafe tables as being an impediment to anyone's progress along the street. Perhaps an arrangement could have been made in which the operators of the cafes could have been allowed to obtain the proper permits. I think the City is making a big mistake here. One of the significant determining factors which makes Las Olas Boulevard a lively street is the large number of cafe tables. I hope this foolishnness can be corrected soon.

The Sun-Sentinel

• 2 months later...

This isn't the best news in the world, but I think that the downtown area is in a relatively good position for attracting such new development as may possibly happen in the area. I'm not going to gloss anything over and pretend that the area is not experiencing a glut of condo development. That said, the area is still one which ought to continue to attract residents. Speculative building, however, is likely done for the time being. This may actually be good for the area.

New River Village

The expansion of the existing New River Village will include fewer condo units and a 150 room hotel instead. The plans call for at least 500 new condominium units and a hotel. While I am pleased to see this development, I wonder whether or not it is a good idea in the current market. Perhaps the developers know more about the existing housing market than most, but it still seems ambitious to me.

The Sun-Sentinel/Hotel-Online

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived