Triad Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

JerseyBoy

• 6 months later...

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

New interstate highway a step closer to coming to Greensboro. Hwy 421 which connects Greensboro with Fayetteville and I-95 will likely be designated as an interstate. It will add to the growing list of interstates in Greensboro/Guilford County. I-40/I-85/I-73/I-74/I-840/I-785 and a future interstate along Hwy 421 which I expect will be a triple digit I-95 spur.

http://www.rhinotimes.com/news/gate-city-headed-for-another-interstate-highway/

Edited by cityboi

22 hours ago, cityboi said:

New interstate highway a step closer to coming to Greensboro. Hwy 421 which connects Greensboro with Fayetteville and I-95 will likely be designated as an interstate. It will add to the growing list of interstates in Greensboro/Guilford County. I-40/I-85/I-73/I-74/I-840/I-785 and a future interstate along Hwy 421 which I expect will be a triple digit I-95 spur.

I believe an Interstate upgrade to US 421 makes sense. In my opinion the creation of another spur would further add to motorist confusion in and around Guilford County. Unfortunately the politicians will not identify this issue. The I-74 designation should be decommissioned in NC.  It will never connect to the existing I-74 in Cincinnati, I-74’s routing via US 220 is redundant to I-73’s planned route, and the multiplex with US 74 is confusing for motorists.

An I-79 designation should be used instead. I-79 fits within the grid and can easily connect with the existing I-79 in WV via a multiplex with  I-77.  In North Carolina I-79 would follow I-74’s routing to Business 40/US 421 then follow US 421/NC 87 to Fayetteville/I-95. This interstate would enhance the profile of the Chatham County Megasites and provide a viable alternative to I-40 through the Triangle. I-79 would provide a direct route between Pittsburgh, the Triad and Southeastern NC Beaches (especially if I-79 was routed along an upgraded US 19 out of Beckley which would provide many benefits to WV tourism and reduce congestion on that dangerous stretch of the WV TPKE). 

Existing US 74 between Asheville and Wilmington should be I-3X to provide Charlotte with a true east/west interstate route to Wilmington.  The existing I-74 between Winston-Salem and Randleman should be receive a 3 digit interstate designation.  

If a tollway was constructed between Sanford and Spring Lake this highway could be completed within 10-15 years. 

Who am I kidding though? I’d bet my paycheck that this new freeway ends up being a 100+ mile I-895. 

Edited by Seaboard Fellow
NCDOT
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Seaboard Fellow said:

I believe an Interstate upgrade to US 421 makes sense. In my opinion the creation of another spur would further add to motorist confusion in and around Guilford County. Unfortunately the politicians will not identify this issue. The I-74 designation should be decommissioned in NC.  It will never connect to the existing I-74 in Cincinnati, I-74’s routing via US 220 is redundant to I-73’s planned route, and the multiplex with US 74 is confusing for motorists.

An I-79 designation should be used instead. I-79 fits within the grid and can easily connect with the existing I-79 in WV via a multiplex with  I-77.  In North Carolina I-79 would follow I-74’s routing to Business 40/US 421 then follow US 421/NC 87 to Fayetteville/I-95. This interstate would enhance the profile of the Chatham County Megasites and provide a viable alternative to I-40 through the Triangle. I-79 would provide a direct route between Pittsburgh, the Triad and Southeastern NC Beaches (especially if I-79 was routed along an upgraded US 19 out of Beckley which would provide many benefits to WV tourism and reduce congestion on that dangerous stretch of the WV TPKE). 

Existing US 74 between Asheville and Wilmington should be I-3X to provide Charlotte with a true east/west interstate route to Wilmington.  The existing I-74 between Winston-Salem and Randleman should be receive a 3 digit interstate designation.  

If a tollway was constructed between Sanford and Spring Lake this highway could be completed within 10-15 years. 

Who am I kidding though? I’d bet my paycheck that this new freeway ends up being a 100+ mile I-895. 

Makes sense. And for some reason Virginia doesn't seem to be on board with I-73/I-74. You would think they would be for it because it would help cities in the western part of the state grow like Roanoke.

Directional sign to Roanoke, VA in Greensboro along Wendover Ave.

20190928_070644.jpg

Edited by cityboi

I do think it should be designated as some Interstate highway would really help the Guilford county Megasite too. 

Greensboro has more interstates than any city in the Carolinas bar none.  I love driving in Greensboro as there is an uncrowded interstate in every direction (compared to the other 2 metro areas in the state) 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2019 at 12:24 AM, cityboi said:

That is way. too. many. freaking. interstates. for one city, and I'd have a hard time believing they won't push for US 29 to be designated as an interstate from GSO to Danville as well.  In my opinion there are already more than enough interstates in NC including 87 and 42, and I think there will be drastically reduced returns if any more are built (the only exceptions being CLT to Asheville and CLT to Wilmington, and maybe a few spurs here and there).  Yes I realize that some industries want interstates nearby, and having a ton of interstates running through small towns will help bring some jobs in affected fields, but you can't save them all, and when the maintenance bill comes due it's going to be painful.

8 hours ago, nicholas said:

That is way. too. many. freaking. interstates. for one city, and I'd have a hard time believing they won't push for US 29 to be designated as an interstate from GSO to Danville as well.  In my opinion there are already more than enough interstates in NC including 87 and 42, and I think there will be drastically reduced returns if any more are built (the only exceptions being CLT to Asheville and CLT to Wilmington, and maybe a few spurs here and there).  Yes I realize that some industries want interstates nearby, and having a ton of interstates running through small towns will help bring some jobs in affected fields, but you can't save them all, and when the maintenance bill comes due it's going to be painful.

True. But one good thing is that Greensboro becomes a major junction which helps attract industry to the city. But yes having all those interstates could make it confusing navigating Greensboro. So there are positives and negatives. There are some that would rather have an interstate that is a direct route between Charlotte and Raleigh bypassing the Triad which would cut travel time down 30 minutes to an hour but I think that is overkill as well.

7 hours ago, cityboi said:

True. But one good thing is that Greensboro becomes a major junction which helps attract industry to the city. But yes having all those interstates could make it confusing navigating Greensboro. So there are positives and negatives. There are some that would rather have an interstate that is a direct route between Charlotte and Raleigh bypassing the Triad which would cut travel time down 30 minutes to an hour but I think that is overkill as well.

I just don't know, Greensboro already has pretty direct interstate access to basically every major city in NC other than Fayetteville, and nothing against Fayetteville but I just don't see what is to be gained by an interstate connection there.

We definitely don't need another interstate between Raleigh and Charlotte.  The most direct existing route (US64/NC49) is only about twenty miles shorter than 40/85, and literally almost all of that would have to be upgraded to interstate standards.  And really, I think once your trip starts nearing 150 miles, cutting 20 miles off doesn't move the needle much.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Seaboard Fellow said:

I hate Greensboro’s Interstate signage. It’s very confusion for out of town motorists. 

I have lived in NC my entire life and it's confusing to me.  There are just way too many interstates in the Triad.  NCDOT should eliminate (or at least downgrade) what is currently I-40 and BUS-85 inside of the GSO loop, and run all of the interstates on the southern part of the loop.  Furthermore, I-785 needs to be decommissioned (if it hasn't been already) and instead labeled as I-840 so that the northern part of the loop can be signed as a single interstate.

Also, instead of spending $100M to rebuild 1.2 miles of BUS-40 in Winston-Salem, it should have been decommissioned and replaced by a normal four-lane road, especially since NCDOT insists on slapping 45 mph speed limit signs on an interstate running through the middle of the city. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/2/2019 at 1:59 PM, nicholas said:

I have lived in NC my entire life and it's confusing to me.  There are just way too many interstates in the Triad.  NCDOT should eliminate (or at least downgrade) what is currently I-40 and BUS-85 inside of the GSO loop, and run all of the interstates on the southern part of the loop.  Furthermore, I-785 needs to be decommissioned (if it hasn't been already) and instead labeled as I-840 so that the northern part of the loop can be signed as a single interstate.

Also, instead of spending $100M to rebuild 1.2 miles of BUS-40 in Winston-Salem, it should have been decommissioned and replaced by a normal four-lane road, especially since NCDOT insists on slapping 45 mph speed limit signs on an interstate running through the middle of the city. 

The NCDOT originally designated the southern portion of 840 as Interstate 40 when it opened to traffic but changed it after a few months.  I do agree they need to work on the interstate designations around Greensboro but I wouldn't suggest downgrading the designations, they should all be designated an interstate number since that is the standard they are built to and it determines the type of funding that is available for them.  

As for the rebuilding Bus- 40 through Winston Salem, I would not recommend decommissioning the highway and building a four-lane road.  I used that highway everyday to go to work and now that it is being rebuilt traffic on Interstate 40 and other roads in the area have been awful.   The highway does not disconnect downtown and Old Salem like other highways throughout the State and the new highway will include a lot of pedestrian and bike connections in the area to increase connectivity even more.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^Your list is missing 74.  But easy to miss, since it follows 73. In my opinion, 74 should instead follow US 421 southeast of Greensboro. Granted, this would mean needing a new Interstate number along US 74. But that corridor should really continue west of 73 to 26, linking Asheville and Wilmington via Charlotte.  74 would instead link Mt Airy to Fayetteville via the Triad.

• Like 3

On 1/11/2020 at 4:41 AM, southslider said:

^Your list is missing 74.  But easy to miss, since it follows 73. In my opinion, 74 should instead follow US 421 southeast of Greensboro. Granted, this would mean needing a new Interstate number along US 74. But that corridor should really continue west of 73 to 26, linking Asheville and Wilmington via Charlotte.  74 would instead link Mt Airy to Fayetteville via the Triad.

I agree 100%. Local politicians are already lobbying for US 421/NC87  to be upgraded to an interstate between Greensboro and Fayetteville. This undertaking would be easier than many of NC’s other new interstate projects. 

Edited by Seaboard Fellow
  • Like 1

On 1/11/2020 at 4:41 AM, southslider said:

LOL there are so many Interstates in the Triad area I did forget that one and I have been on it many times. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I have said it before but Greensboro has the best highway system in the state of NC.  the entire Triad has a system of freeways that are the best in the state bar none. 

The new I-74 interchange with I-40 in eastern Forsyth County is coming together.  

Salem Parkway Business I-40 not sure they call it that anymore looks great through downtown Winston.

Photos 1- 8  Forsyth County highways

Photos 9-10 Greensboro I-74 and I-840

Lets see the interstate highways in just Forsyth and Guilford counties

I-40, I-73. I-74, I-85. I-285, I-785. I-840 plus parkways and other freeways

IMG_0658.JPG

IMG_0660.JPG

IMG_0753.JPG

IMG_0754.JPG

IMG_0762.JPG

IMG_0758.JPG

IMG_0761.JPG

IMG_0764.JPG

IMG_0766.JPG

IMG_0767.JPG

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Vote for Salem Parkway the rebuilt I-40 Business through downtown Winston as one of the best highway projects.  It is really nice and much safer now.

Redesign of Salem Parkway in Winston-Salem NC up for award | Raleigh News & Observer (newsobserver.com)

vote here

American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials - Project Gallery (secure-platform.com)

from NC DOT

May be an image of road

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Vote for Salem Parkway the rebuilt I-40 Business through downtown Winston as one of the best highway projects.  It is really nice and much safer now.

Redesign of Salem Parkway in Winston-Salem NC up for award | Raleigh News & Observer (newsobserver.com)

vote here

American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials - Project Gallery (secure-platform.com)

from NC DOT

May be an image of road

Still think it was a huge missed opportunity to not remove BUS 40 from downtown W-S.  Shutting down the highway for two years did not cripple the surrounding infrastructure, and from looking at traffic counts it appears that the bulk of BUS 40 traffic (about 60k cars a day) is solely within the confines of downtown, then drops off massively in both directions before reaching major interchanges that add additional traffic.

• Like 1