Triad Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

JerseyBoy

Sure, there could be improvement by the city, police, or hired security detail, but let’s face it, since the gates to this event opened (I hear) mid afternoon and the concert was at 8PM, I could pin the blame and responsibility on the attendees as anyone for the small percentage who experienced delay.  If you know you have spent that much money to attend an event and you know the normal travel time and distance it takes, you don’t leave at the normal time if you know there my be 30, 40, or 50,000 other people involved.  You plan ahead, and give yourself enough time to maybe get there early!

i have attended concerts and large ballgames in Charlotte and Raleigh, and the same thing happens going and coming.  Went to a high school state football championship game several years ago at Carter Finley, and the traffic on I40 backed up going into Raleigh near the airport, and by the time I reached Wade Avenue, it was gridlock and at a standstill. This is nothing new.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, RichardC said:

Sure, there could be improvement by the city, police, or hired security detail, but let’s face it, since the gates to this event opened (I hear) mid afternoon and the concert was at 8PM, I could pin the blame and responsibility on the attendees as anyone for the small percentage who experienced delay.  If you know you have spent that much money to attend an event and you know the normal travel time and distance it takes, you don’t leave at the normal time if you know there my be 30, 40, or 50,000 other people involved.  You plan ahead, and give yourself enough time to maybe get there early!

i have attended concerts and large ballgames in Charlotte and Raleigh, and the same thing happens going and coming.  Went to a high school state football championship game several years ago at Carter Finley, and the traffic on I40 backed up going into Raleigh near the airport, and by the time I reached Wade Avenue, it was gridlock and at a standstill. This is nothing new.

Yep... you should always add an hour at the VERY least for any major event. Knowing that a 30k seat venue would host 40-50k, 2 hours ahead of what it would normally take to get there is reasonable. 

My sister went... got there 3 hours ahead... zero problems coming or going.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

The northeastern leg of Winston-Salem's loop opened to traffic about a week ago. Fox8 News Article on it here.

Also I drive over the Church Street overpass of the Greensboro urban loop quite often. They are starting to lay down the concrete surface of the highway, and have installed the very tall lights for the Elm Street intersection. Should be another 4-6 months and the last stretch will be completed.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have always said this about Greensboro easiest city to get around and now I have the stats to back it up. 

Greensboro residents spend the least time inrush hour driving  than any city in the country!  This is a list you want to be on the bottom of! 

https://infogram.com/1pwxmkwrynd237cvnn79v99yn5u95679dn5?live

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/12/2024 at 9:38 AM, AlmaPinnix said:

It was never mentioned here (about a year ago), but US-421 is to be upgraded to Interstate-685 from Greensboro to Dunn, and possibly Wilmington, for port access. Toyota was a big player in this happening, and NC politicians made sure it was included in the Infrastructure bill passed a couple of years ago under the Biden Administration.

Yep. It's official that from gboro to at least Sanford will become true interstate signed. But they're hoping to extend it to Dunn eventually 

How odd.  The stretch of US421 from Winston-Salem west to Wilkesboro thru Yadkin County could already be designated an Interstate….as it is already limited access and up to grade.  The stretches from Greensboro to Liberty, and Siler City to Sanford are not upgraded, according to the NCDOT.  Nor are portions thru Harnett and Sampson Counties, which are not even four lanes.  This announcement would require years of work before designation.

2 hours ago, RichardC said:

How odd.  The stretch of US421 from Winston-Salem west to Wilkesboro thru Yadkin County could already be designated an Interstate….as it is already limited access and up to grade.  The stretches from Greensboro to Liberty, and Siler City to Sanford are not upgraded, according to the NCDOT.  Nor are portions thru Harnett and Sampson Counties, which are not even four lanes.  This announcement would require years of work before designation.

Not really odd when you factor in that W-S west to Wilkesboro doesn't have billions of dollars of investment from Toyota, who is looking for an upgraded highway towards the port of Wilmington for their business dealings.

Edited by AlmaPinnix
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Greensboro the best freeway system in the state of NC bar none!

I noticed coming from Durham that the NC DOT is putting one of the signs in that tells you the fastest way to get around Greensboro to points west like Winston or south to Charlotte  not yet in operation but the covers were torn open a bit.  

20240216_095625 - Copy.jpg

• Like 4