RedBull SoapBox Race

Frankie811

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
he must live in a box because they have been advertising the hell out of this for the past couple months. i also think that the fact that providence was chosen speaks volumes. the other city is seattle, and their flugtag event was only held in cities like new york and portland. that's pretty good company if you ask me.

by the way, the red bull people seem to be staying in the hilton... the garage was full of those red bull can cars.

For those who missed the SoapBox races ( and the huge turn out ) here are pictures from the event: http://picasaweb.google.com/providmike/SOA...key=8d-z6tCRAIw

I also wanted to point out the Projo article and the absurd comments from the President the College Hill Neighborhood Association.

" Not everyone was amused by yesterday’s event. William G. Touret, president the College Hill Neighborhood Association, said, “It’s inappropriate for the city to give its seal of approval to a sponsor promoting a product detrimental to the health of children. I bought a can of this stuff, and it’s basically sugar and caffeine.”

He said Red Bull can only exacerbate problems with childhood obesity and diabetes, saying, “I think this is an embarrassment to the city and to the state. It makes us look like idiots.”

Touret — who lives on Olive Street, near the beginning of the race — said the city failed to notify or get input from the College Hill Neighborhood Association. He said the event produced so much noise that “I couldn’t hear myself think in my own home,” and he said blocking off roads caused “great inconvenience to local residents.”

Yes - Next time lets turn down 50,000 people coming to our city because College Hill Neighborhood Association does not approve of RedBull. Not to mention the streets closed really did not affect anyones access to anything except RISD, who seemed excited to have this event for its students to interact with. Did we forget our beloved waterfire closes down major streets many times a year? William G. Touret's shutup no one agrees with you.

For those who missed the SoapBox races ( and the huge turn out ) <a href="http://picasaweb.google.com/providmike/SOA...key=8d-z6tCRAIw" target="_blank">http://picasaweb.google.com/providmike/SOA...key=8d-z6tCRAIw</a>

I also wanted to point out the Projo article and the absurd comments from the President the College Hill Neighborhood Association.

" Not everyone was amused by yesterday

I should have been more clear. What I meant is the roads closed did not greatly restrict access to any major things other than RISD. Of course with any large event ( s ) you get a lot of traffic and most of the time how good the traffic flows has less to do with the event and more to do with the Police.

What really angers me is when someone like Touret uses a platform such as the College Hill Neighborhood Association to voice of his own personal issues with living near a city and young culture. To personally put down a safe, clean fun event that brought 50,000 people and press while at the same time trying to say he's not NIMBY [Not In My Backyard] is a joke.

I should have been more clear. What I meant is the roads closed did not greatly restrict access to any major things other than RISD. Of course with any large event ( s ) you get a lot of traffic and most of the time how good the traffic flows has less to do with the event and more to do with the Police.

:angry: How many of you are old enough to remember the X-Games in Providence? I had to drive into the city from Warwick each weekday afternoon to pick up my wife from work at One Park Row. Yes, I was one of the red-faced people screaming at the traffic and at life in general. I saw virtually NO traffic direction anywhere, just every driver for himself or herself. OK, well, that was before I discovered Paroxetine Hcl could enhance my calm. :blush:

I largely agree with you, except for one point. The street closings did affect a lot of people yesterday - the entire city was a parking lot. Total nightmare. The addition of traffic cops at certain intersections (Fountain and Dorrance?!) would have made a HUGE difference. It took me 45 minutes to travel what would normally take 5. But in theory, I think yesterday's event was great for the city.

funny... during rush hour, it takes me 20-25 minutes to drive what normally takes me 5-10. my fiancee had to drop her mother off at the train station last saturday before waterfire and the columbus day fest. it took her 20 minutes to get from the train station to federal hill (her mother is older and couldn't make the walk), and waterfire happens about every 2 weeks. yes, traffic sucks during big events, but anyone who knows the event is happening is smart enough to either avoid the area near where it's happening or just not drive. they never announce to the people who live near smith street when the st patty's day parade is and when smith will be closed... but they still hold that once a year. i don't think there's rightful griping... it's to be expected and it's good for the city.

Any sort of event that draws a magnitude of people to the city will likely impact traffic. It's a trade off we need to make every once in a while to ensure our cities are lively, interesting places. I was pretty amazed that Providence was the only other city apart from Seattle to get these races. That is pretty impressive. When this race came to Seattle nobody batted an eyelash at any traffic impact nor did we hear any mention of the impact of Red Bull on children's health! Folks just enjoyed the "interesting" soap box racers and their antics. If you even complain about traffic, people laugh at you and tell you to take the bus or ride your bike! And let me tell you, Seattle's bus service isn't really all that great compared to RIPTA.

I live on the East Side and what would normally take me 2 minutes took me twenty and while I was a little frustrated I didn't mind one bit. I love living in a vibrant city and I think these events add to the fabric of life. If you want a nice quiet area to live move to the burbs. Could there have been more warning or better planning? Probably but it's not like there were riots, looting, etc. There was some traffic, noise, and inconvenience. Compared to the thousands that enjoyed Providence for the day it was well worth it.

• 8 months later...

Archived