Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cloudship

An Unhealthy Addiction

14 posts in this topic

Uh oh. I have picked up a very unhealthy addiction. I was over in France for a few days, and it seems almost everyplace over there serves Steak Tartare.

Needless to say, I have no picked up an addiction to the stuff. I am making it constantly, and it is not exactly the cheapest stuff to make (although I must add not much cooking time!). Not to mention, I am not sure how healthy all that raw meat is to be eating it so much. But it tastes so good!

So what kind of wierd cravings do other people pick up after trips?

There is a restaurant here in Austin that serves a steak tartare salad. I prefer a beef carpacio, it's sliced or pounded paper thin raw tenderloin.

The only thing that would concern me would the state of the meat that you can get here in the USA. The FDA has been pretty much gutted and I would be afraid of getting beef tainted with e-coli as a result. It seems to me there was just a massive recall of beef here for that reason. The French get away from it because they don't get their meat supplies from huge corporate conglomerates as we do there.

I picked up a love (and craving) of good beer, bread, butter, and yogurt. All four of those are better in Europe (in any country). Even Yoplait and Dannon (Danone in France) yogurt is better there because they use cane sugar, NOT high fructose corn syrup as a sweetener. When I travel overseas now for work, the only thing I buy to bring home is stuff from the grocery store.

The only thing that would concern me would the state of the meat that you can get here in the USA. The FDA has been pretty much gutted and I would be afraid of getting beef tainted with e-coli as a result. It seems to me there was just a massive recall of beef here for that reason. The French get away from it because they don't get their meat supplies from huge corporate conglomerates as we do there.

And Tartare is not hamburger - you get yourself a good piece of meat, sear the outside and slice that off, then you chop up the remaining bit inside.

Continuing the theme of raw foods...after I went to New Orleans for the first time, I almost immediately fell in love with oysters on the half shell. Delicious!

Continuing the theme of raw foods...after I went to New Orleans for the first time, I almost immediately fell in love with oysters on the half shell. Delicious!

In a way, it is hamburger. Hamburgers were originally served tartare. Chopped beef or ground beef can be used for steak tartare. I, too, perfer carpaccio. But tartare isn't bad. :)

These are particularly dangerous too. I love raw oysters in the half shell, but after I went to an upscale restaurant and had some of this dish and later spent the next 4 days on the toilet, I swore them off. More recently they had at least one death from somoene eating a oyster contaminated with a one of the blooms that occur in the oceans these days.

Unfortunately eating raw meat in the USA can mean death so it's something that I just don't do anymore.

It could have been good luck. The oysters that I ate which gave me the trotskies, were from Louisiana.

Never heard of carpaccio, sounds good.

I haven't had steak tartare in ages, but I was no big fan of raw egg. Ground sirloin is pretty good on Ritz crackers; my grandmother introduced me to that. She always had it ground fresh at the butcher's if that's the way she was planning on eating it.

If you have a food processor you can grind it yourself. Take a small roast - like a round or something pretty lean (hey, it ain't cheap!) and sear the outsides of it. Then cut those off (using a clean board and knife) and then cube the rest of the insides and chop that up in your food processor. If you can stand the expense you will even find this makes some great burgers, too!

As far as food poisoning, I have gotten Salmonella from cooked chicken I have gotten at Abdow's. So it's not the fact that it is raw that makes it so dangerous as much as bad restaurant habits.