Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yankee Fan

Olive Express Closes

62 posts in this topic

Okay, so we went to grab some lunch at the Olive Express this morning- and they are closed, out of business. Anyone have the scoop? We loved this place and they always appeared to be busy.

This sucks.

Okay, so we went to grab some lunch at the Olive Express this morning- and they are closed, out of business. Anyone have the scoop? We loved this place and they always appeared to be busy.

This sucks.

Wow. This comes as a shock.

I'll try to reach Sam's uncle (also in the restaurant biz) after lunch.

It may well be a family matter...

Friday was their last day. I was out for a late lunch at about 1:30 and saw their "Final Day of Business" Sign. I wanted to go in for one last hoorah, but they didn't have any food left!

Really? I'm curious to find out what the story is. With the GRAM just opening, things downtown are really looking up...but this is sad news!

Veloise, what will you do? That place was one of your main hang outs, wasn't it?!

Really? I'm curious to find out what the story is. With the GRAM just opening, things downtown are really looking up...but this is sad news!

Veloise, what will you do? That place was one of your main hang outs, wasn't it?!

This sucks. No more Chicken Shawarma.

And the DA would have us believe that things will be better in 10 - 15 years. :rolleyes:

Just spoke with someone who knows Sam; he works at Sam's uncle's restaurant in Lansing. He was surprised. Uncle isn't there today, so it was suggested that I try again tomorrow.

ETA:

Pita House: "What?!? He's closed???"

Mediterranean Garden: "Are you sure??" (They know Sam, I left a message.)

One nearby business reports that Sam plans to put more effort into "his East Lansing sit-down restaurant." That would be uncle's place.

Another says that someone else said that Sam plans to re-open in another location, which is why he took all the furniture and all the palm tree decor (much of which was sourced by yours truly...and on Saturday I almost bought him a new welcome mat).

(Sam had a place in Rivertown mall for a while, a couple years back. It did not do well and he sublet it to another food vendor.)

One of my wife's and my favorite restaurants downtown. It added a nice variety to the very familiar mix of food options. We need more ethnic restaurants downtown to help create a more diverse landscape.

We need more ethnic restaurants downtown to help create a more diverse landscape.

Peered in the window a few minutes ago. They aren't completely out yet, so anyone wandering MC tomorrow during the day, please stop by.

Sam is the very tall handsome Arabic fellow, 30-something, football player build (which is why the portions were so HUGE).

Don't want to start a new thread, so I thought I would piggyback on this one - Anyone know what happened to 48 West, nightclub/Restaurant on W Fulton adjacent to Taps? Wife went there over the weekend and said it was all closed up.

Don't want to start a new thread, so I thought I would piggyback on this one - Anyone know what happened to 48 West, nightclub/Restaurant on W Fulton adjacent to Taps? Wife went there over the weekend and said it was all closed up.

WTF??? I LOVE Olive Express!!! EFF!!! Seriously, why the heck did they close, they were always packed! Veloise, when you refer to his uncle's sit down place in east are you referring to Sami's? I had no idea they were connected.

this seriously sucks. I really hope they come back.

Yeah, they seemed really busy in proportion to the hours they were open.

In restaurant life I am sure this does not always mean the bottom line is all good.

So many other expenditure factors...

It could just be a personal decision by Sam as some have guessed.

GOOD NEWS!

It's temporary.

Just talked to himself. He provided other details which I will not share here.

Watch for a renovation, too.

Whew!

WTF??? I LOVE Olive Express!!! EFF!!! Seriously, why the heck did they close, they were always packed! Veloise, when you refer to his uncle's sit down place in east are you referring to Sami's? I had no idea they were connected.

this seriously sucks. I really hope they come back.

Great news indeed. Tell him not to shock us like that! (Also, Marketing note: Post "Closed for Renovations. Re-opening soon.", not "Closed".).

Joe

Great news indeed. Tell him not to shock us like that! (Also, Marketing note: Post "Closed for Renovations. Re-opening soon.", not "Closed".).

Joe

You know who was really shocked and worried by this thread? All the suburbanites who thought that Olive GARDEN was closing and were at a loss for what they were going to do for dinner this Friday night. :blink:

Great news regarding Olive Express.

On 48 West I thought I read they were closed for the summer and reopening sometime during the fall.

Great news regarding Olive Express.

On 48 West I thought I read they were closed for the summer and reopening sometime during the fall.