No Water = No Development?

GRguy

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good points here, but I don't think Phoenix is a good example of anything that is sustainable long term. I think that in a best case scenario, Atlanta will figure out a way to make more lakes. The issue is that there are no major rivers in Atlanta, so what do you dam up?

• 2 months later...

When I was in Atlanta this past Wednesday, I stopped in at a restaurant in Suwanee and talked to my waiter about the current drought in Georgia. He mentioned that he lived in Gainesville on Lake Lanier and that the lake was down so much that you could see housetops and foundations covered up by dirt and sediment from when TVA and the US Army Corps of Engineers flooded the area. What I found very interesting is that local authorities recovered a slew of boat batteries from the exposed lake bed.

• 4 weeks later...

The only way that the drought will halt development is if the metro area actually runs out of water which would be one of the biggest crisis to hit the nation (up there with katrina).

The situation is more complicated than it seems though. You can't just build more resovoirs during a drought period without either 1) canabalizing another water source (which then what's the point), 2) letting rain gradually fill it up or most likely, 3) a combination of the two. Normally it wouldn't be a problem but if rain levels are as low as they are then the water source that is used to flood the resovoir might take a really long time to get back to normal levels or not recover at all.

A solid short-term solution needs to happen fast! Is lake lanier still expected to be exausted by spring? That's not long off...

• 1 year later...
The only way that the drought will halt development is if the metro area actually runs out of water which would be one of the biggest crisis to hit the nation (up there with katrina).

The situation is more complicated than it seems though. You can't just build more resovoirs during a drought period without either 1) canabalizing another water source (which then what's the point), 2) letting rain gradually fill it up or most likely, 3) a combination of the two. Normally it wouldn't be a problem but if rain levels are as low as they are then the water source that is used to flood the resovoir might take a really long time to get back to normal levels or not recover at all.

A solid short-term solution needs to happen fast! Is lake lanier still expected to be exausted by spring? That's not long off...

Archived