PROPOSED: Hotel on Market St.

HartfordTycoon

That gas station is run down, but doesn't attract any real problems, IMO. I think it will be convenient for the guests more than a problem though but it certainly would be nice if it got a makeover. It is Citgo, maybe Hugo can foot the bill. :rolleyes:

I get the feeling that there are other developments planned for that area.

and something tells me senor Chavez would not throw money at a gas station in Hartford so that the capitolist pigs could feel more confortable at their hotel choice. :)

I hope others notice this new development and do something with the land around it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

found some more info on this.

http://www.hartfordinfo.org/issues/documen...nt_042007_a.asp

The hotel could cost between $7 million and $10 million and have roughly 70 rooms in its first phase, Patel and the city said. If the hotel is a success, Patel said, he would consider converting some meeting space into hotel rooms, bringing the total number of rooms up to 84.

Looks like a total investment of 8.5-11.5 million into the area. very nice stuff.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/news6581.html

redesign due to water tables.

good to get an update on this one.

as soon as the ground thaws next spring is the target start date.

Water Table Problem

However, as engineers were preparing the way for construction, they found that the water table was too high to accommodate the original design. That meant that Patel had to begin the process of obtaining the correct building permits all over again.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

This was recently on the planning docket seeking an extention to their approval.

they got it zoned for a temporary parking lot, so it seems they might have done that, but they also made sure their standing approval for this Hotel was extended a few years so they do not need to re-permit if they do go ahead and want to still build this in the next couple of years.

I doubt we will see anything happen here for a few years, but ya never know. the hotel market has been improving but I suspect it still sucks

yeah, but in reality if this happens or not, its a non game changer.

A new Hotel MIGHT bring more jobs but it wont bring more visitors, and ultimately any business this property gained would be at the expense of a nearby hotel and likely there would be no net gain in employment. The tax gain would be nice but in the big picture this was gonna be a dinky hotel.

This hotel ends up being more of a barometer for the cities hotel business. if they ever do go forward it means we have a healthy visitor market.

really, Id rather see 100 rooms opened at the goodwin before this is built!

So would I, but no one will go near the Goodwin under the current stipulations set forth by the city. Area hotels have changed hands/franchises multiple times while no one will go near the most beautiful of them all. Best architecture downtown, huge banquet facility, full restaurant in the heart of downtown and a cocktail lounge. And it sits empty. What a shame.

I'd also settle for "phase 2" of the downtown Marriott. Remember that...?

• 1 month later...

So would I, but no one will go near the Goodwin under the current stipulations set forth by the city. Area hotels have changed hands/franchises multiple times while no one will go near the most beautiful of them all. Best architecture downtown, huge banquet facility, full restaurant in the heart of downtown and a cocktail lounge. And it sits empty. What a shame.

I'd also settle for "phase 2" of the downtown Marriott. Remember that...?

What happened to the Goodwin??

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Nice shots. I have to admit, I'm amazed they have this off the ground. They have been talking about it for a long time. Hartford doesn't really have a cheap option hotel/motel since the Holiday Inn Express went dark. The may be set up in a perfect niche.

• 2 weeks later...

Great Pics!!

I have been seeing the crane over there and half tempted about a dozen times to drive by and snag a pic, but never have. 

I agree, it will be pretty substantial as far as its visual impact even if its just 85 rooms.

Will be cool to see what the area feels like after this and the data center redo into apartments

cant find the subtle red circle, but I did notice the steel rising over on the right of the picture.  kind of inside of a giant red letter C.

its certainly not going to be insignificant to the area at 8 floors.  They will be short floors, but still help the look of the city from I-91 for sure!

Archived