Private Park Next To Adelicia

bwithers1

TN article about Adelicia park

Check out this article about a private park that is going to go in next to the Adelicia. I think that it's a great idea, and what a boon for the residents of that building! Still, it is interesting that the Land Trust is buying this parcel as a private park for residents of a condo building.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks ok, and it's an interesting place for a pocket park, but it's too bad other area residents won't have access to it. The Adelicia developers previously said they would consider another residential structure for that land. Perhaps that could happen on the land adjacent to the park.

There are private parks scattered all around NYC. The best known one that I can think of is Gramercy Park. BTW: Has anybody on this forum ever stayed at the Gramercy Hotel? It's a beautiful building, but when I stayed there in the early 2000s, it was so ratty. Apparently lots of famous ppl stayed there. JFK lived there as a child. Seems like I heard that some corp. bought it to renovate, but haven't even thought of it since then. Does anybody know if the hotel has been renovated?

i guess no good deed goes unpunished. i don't mean for this to be rhetorical, but why would the developer shell out 3 million bucks for a public park ? it seems like an urban mix of both public and private parks funded by metro and developers, respectively, isn't a terrible outcome. and anyway, i thought surface parking lots in perpetuity, not parks, were the enemy of the built environment.

I think some people must have misunderstood the article in the Tennessean. Unless I'm mistaken, the developer obviously could have built another building there but instead chose to forego any future development rights and have it designated as "green" and transformed into a private park for the Adelicia buyers who are ultimately paying for it anyway. While it's not a public park, it will enhance the quality of life and also the real estate values in the area - especially for the Adelicia buyers. So why would anyone object to that? If anything, he deserves to be commended. He was not given or granted the land by the Land Trust, he paid for it and is paying for the transformation from a parking lot into a beautiful park.

Sorry...I overlooked the fact that the developer purchased the land. I was thinking the Land Trust purchased it and gave it to them. I still don't see why the Land Trust is involved here. Can't the developer just say it's a private park and it stays that way?

By the way...I stayed at the Grammercy in 2002 and it was very ratty then. My room looked (and smelled) like it hadn't been renovated in 50 years. I'm all for keeping the "vibe" of the way it used to be, but I'd much rather have some of the conveniences of the 21st century. I also stayed in the Plaza once and I must say it's a bit overated as well.

There are private parks scattered all around NYC. The best known one that I can think of is Gramercy Park. BTW: Has anybody on this forum ever stayed at the Gramercy Hotel? It's a beautiful building, but when I stayed there in the early 2000s, it was so ratty. Apparently lots of famous ppl stayed there. JFK lived there as a child. Seems like I heard that some corp. bought it to renovate, but haven't even thought of it since then. Does anybody know if the hotel has been renovated?

• 11 months later...

Archived